• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dominion Day

Salyan

• Members

We're not under the jurisdiction of the British parliament - we chose to retain the Queen. Not as the queen of Great Britain, but the Queen of Canada. She's basically monarch of several countries, if pretty much in name only.

I don't think the queen is a touchy subject in this country - unless maybe in Quebec. But then everything's touchy in Quebec. :frog: She's our queen, she ratifies the laws made by our parliament (or her representative the governor general does), and basically is a figurehead. If she ever actually tried to change anything legislatively I have a feeling the country might decide they didn't need a queen anymore. Which is pretty much my stance on it. I'm proud of her, and glad we have a queen (not so sure about her son!), but I've got far too much America in my blood to easily bow to an absolute monarch. :wink

Rebel! :clapping:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

We're not under the jurisdiction of the British parliament - we chose to retain the Queen. Not as the queen of Great Britain, but the Queen of Canada. She's basically monarch of several countries, if pretty much in name only.

I don't think the queen is a touchy subject in this country - unless maybe in Quebec. But then everything's touchy in Quebec. :frog: She's our queen, she ratifies the laws made by our parliament (or her representative the governor general does), and basically is a figurehead. If she ever actually tried to change anything legislatively I have a feeling the country might decide they didn't need a queen anymore. Which is pretty much my stance on it. I'm proud of her, and glad we have a queen (not so sure about her son!), but I've got far too much America in my blood to easily bow to an absolute monarch. :wink

Happy Canada Day.

My great grandmother emigrated to Canada in 1902 with her son and new husband after my ggf died.  I wonder if I have any distant cousins there?

The queen is rather a figurehead.  She said she could not overule the govt. regarding single sex marriage, even though it seems she could.  The last monarch to over rule parliament due to his Christian beliefs, was George III who refused to sign laws twice.  The law has not been changed since, as I understand.

DaveW, didn't the queen's representative in OZ sack the PM some years ago, or do I remember incorrectly?

• Members

Happy Canada Day.

My great grandmother emigrated to Canada in 1902 with her son and new husband after my ggf died. I wonder if I have any distant cousins there?

The queen is rather a figurehead. She said she could not overule the govt. regarding single sex marriage, even though it seems she could. The last monarch to over rule parliament due to his Christian beliefs, was George III who refused to sign laws twice. The law has not been changed since, as I understand.

DaveW, didn't the queen's representative in OZ sack the PM some years ago, or do I remember incorrectly?

Yep - before my time so I don't remember the details, but it was a race to see who would sack whom.
The PM was trying to get rid of the GG, but the GG won.

• Moderators

Yep - before my time so I don't remember the details, but it was a race to see who would sack whom.
The PM was trying to get rid of the GG, but the GG won.

Wow, really? That must have been quite the fight. Up here, neither has jurisdiction over the other - is it the same there?

• Members

I think quite a few people over here don't want Charles.  When the former government banned foxhunting, Prince Charles said he might as well leave the country and spend his time skiing.  Many thought that would be a good thing. 

• Members

Wow, really? That must have been quite the fight. Up here, neither has jurisdiction over the other - is it the same there?

It is a funny situation - The GG is appointed by the Queen on recommendation from the Govt, and the govt is appointed by the GG under authority from the Queen based on the vote of the people.

So they sort of appoint each other and the Queen watches from a distance.

I remember hearing the quote - I think the PM was Gough Whitlam - "God save the Queen, for nothing can save the Governor General."
Then the GG sacked him.....

:lol:

Sort of like the US impeaching a President.

• Members

Dominion Day (old name) is the celebration of Canada's confederation as a self-governing nation - the Dominion of Canada. 147 years ago today. It got updated to Canada Day in 1982, when we passed legislation separating us completely from the British parliament. So yeah, it's like July 4 for Canadians. :wink
Interesting trivia: our motto and name were both taken from that verse of Psalms.

Dominion Day (old name) is the celebration of Canada's confederation as a self-governing nation - the Dominion of Canada. 147 years ago today. It got updated to Canada Day in 1982, when we passed legislation separating us completely from the British parliament. So yeah, it's like July 4 for Canadians. :wink
Interesting trivia: our motto and name were both taken from that verse of Psalms.

thank you sister for the info 'and may God bless your beautiful Nation

Happy Canada day

God bless  

Archived