• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dominion Day

Salyan

• Moderators

Happy Canada Day, everyone!
'A Mari usque ad mare'

"He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth."
Psalm 72:8

• Members

Can one tell me what Dominion day is ? is this a day that Christians in Canada celebrate or is it kinda like our 4th of July

I guess I could google it but would rather here from one of my brothers or sisters from Canada.

(Please keep in mind I live way down south on a small Island)

Thanks and have a wonderful day

God bless 

• Moderators

Dominion Day (old name) is the celebration of Canada's confederation as a self-governing nation - the Dominion of Canada. 147 years ago today. It got updated to Canada Day in 1982, when we passed legislation separating us completely from the British parliament. So yeah, it's like July 4 for Canadians. :wink
Interesting trivia: our motto and name were both taken from that verse of Psalms.

• Moderators

Dominion Day (old name) is the celebration of Canada's confederation as a self-governing nation - the Dominion of Canada. 147 years ago today. It got updated to Canada Day in 1982, when we passed legislation separating us completely from the British parliament. So yeah, it's like July 4 for Canadians. :wink
Interesting trivia: our motto and name were both taken from that verse of Psalms.

But don't you still use coinage that has the queen on it? Or is that no more?

(Hopefully I am not bringing up a touchy subject-I had family, by marriage, in Australia and I brought up the queen to my aunt and uncle and a fight ensued between them as it was a nationally touchy subject and they were apparently on different sides of the argument).

• Members

(Hopefully I am not bringing up a touchy subject-I had family, by marriage, in Australia and I brought up the queen to my aunt and uncle and a fight ensued between them as it was a nationally touchy subject and they were apparently on different sides of the argument).

It can be touchy over here, but the Queen doesn't cost us anything, and I reckon she is good value at twice the price. ;)

I do think she is desperate to outlive her oldest son though - if he were to become king I think Australia would drop the Royals faster than a smouldering coal.
:lol:
At least our Queen has some class and integrity.
And she made a big deal about the KJV's 400th birthday.

• Moderators

We're not under the jurisdiction of the British parliament - we chose to retain the Queen. Not as the queen of Great Britain, but the Queen of Canada. She's basically monarch of several countries, if pretty much in name only.

I don't think the queen is a touchy subject in this country - unless maybe in Quebec. But then everything's touchy in Quebec. :frog: She's our queen, she ratifies the laws made by our parliament (or her representative the governor general does), and basically is a figurehead. If she ever actually tried to change anything legislatively I have a feeling the country might decide they didn't need a queen anymore. Which is pretty much my stance on it. I'm proud of her, and glad we have a queen (not so sure about her son!), but I've got far too much America in my blood to easily bow to an absolute monarch. :wink

Archived