• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Anti-Intellectualism

2T3:16

• Members

When I was younger I read a lot science fiction and fantasy ... authors often made up their own versions of elves and aliens. Doctor Who and the Star Ship Enterprise often redefined what an alien was. No one said it was confusing but they accepted that the idea of Elves and Aliens has a semantic range to be defined by the film or story. This is true of any other word ... words are only truly contextually defined ... dictionaries and lexicons only provide approximations. Words can be totally redefined by a text. They can be removed from their normal textual range by an author ... in order to increase accuracy for the Authors thinking rather than the reader. Literacy is in constant tension with new and creative works by "young" authors. Supposed modern bible scholars constantly appropriate their own rose colored glasses and impose meaning on a text that should largely define itself.

• Members

Among many there is a purposeful attempt to "make" Scripture say something other than the traditional rendering of a verse or passage says.

Some do this as a means of attacking Scripture. Some do so in an attempt to show how intelligent or spiritual they are. Some use these methods to try and add a unique dimension to their teaching or preaching. Some even claim they have special revelation that gives them clear understanding that others didn't/don't have.

This also helps drive the MV market as with each new claim of having "more and better" knowledge and understanding, the out-to-make-a-buck publishers put together a "team of outstanding scholars" to come up with yet another "new and improved" Bible.

• Members

2T3, You can find God defines the word in his word,the King James Bible, by the context. The worlds definitions of words mean far less to me than what God's word defines them as.

But not only does the King James Bible define the words for us it also has a built in cross reference for words and phrases.  I was at about my third year into just using and reading the AVB aka KJV when that truth sprung out so strongly.  and to this date I write in the cross references based on words and phrases and it is amazing to see that God teached us through those crossreferences he purposely connects by inspiration.

Archived