• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Never Cease To Be Amazed...

• Members

...at the lack of discernment by Christians on Facebook. 

They will "share" anything from anybody as long as the words God, Bible, Jesus, Heaven, etc. are attached to it.

Even folks that I thought would know better.

Here's a dandy quote from Joel Osteen Minstries...it's just chock full of biblical insight and meat...

Every setback means you’re one step closer to seeing the dream come to pass. You have to come to your closed doors before you’ll ever get to your open doors. Get your fire back.

...and that one didn't even have one of the key words that I mentioned.

...Get your fire back.   :nuts: 

• Moderators

I'd like to thank Ms. HappyChristian for giving me a new identity for Joel Osteen...she NAILED it!

Joel Osteen - The Fortune Cookie Preacher!

I've always referred to him as "Smiley Joey". Maybe it's time to change the moniker.

• Members

I remember years ago, 2005, my boyfriend at the time was talking about this guy on TV he like to listen to. I'd never heard of him. He had bought his book, so I bought so we could read at the same time. I couldn't get through the first chapter. I don't remember any details of the book.

• Members

Late one night when I couldn't sleep I turned the TV on to try and help me feel tired. I came across a night of hope special with Joel and company at some stadium. What an odd mix that was! They played some pumped up music then Joel came out and strung together a bunch of those fortune cookie feel goodisms with a couple vague references to Scripture. Then some more music. Then his wife came out talking (I didn't even realize she was part of the show...does she consider herself just a speaker, a preacher or a pastor?) anyway, his wife's talk referred to Scripture much more than his did. On that point, what I especially found interesting is that while Joel preached sunshine and dancing unicorns with a big smile and his wife actually used some Scripture and talked closer to reality (still not a meaty message by any means) the huge crowd at the stadium cheered and applauded Joel's sugar covered syrup while they only reacted a couple times to his wife's message.

To me, this was all very telling not only of the Osteen bunch, but of those who attend Joel's events.

Oh, watching a bit of that did help me feel tired as it was all so highly choreographed like a musical stage production of a play one didn't really want to sit through.

Archived