• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell - Reading For Leading: Recommended Books

RSS Robot

• Members

61A646EB-6ED6-474E-A941-EFB9DD51E056@lancasterbaptist.org

Mark Twain said it well: “The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
I have found consistent reading to be an invaluable resource for personal and leadership growth. I read all year long, but in the summer, I always endeavor to spend extra time reading and studying. (I already have a reading list of a couple dozen books that I hope to finish this summer.)

I posted a reading list here on the blog a few years ago, but I recently updated it with books I have read over the past few years. Of course, I don’t agree with everything I read, and there are some books below that require you to exercise spiritual discernment as you “eat the meat and spit out the bones.” The reference to any book is not an endorsement of the entire book or to the other works of a particular author. Yet, these books have been generally helpful to me, and I hope they can be a help to you.

TITLE AUTHOR PUBLISHER
Bibliology / Doctrine
A More Sure Word Ouellette Striving Together
Basic Bible Interpretation Zuck Victor
Dispensationalism Ryrie Moody Press
From God to Us Geisler Moody Press
Heaven Randy Alcorn Tyndale
Salvation and Sovereignty Keathley B&H Academic
The DaVinci Deception Lutzer Living Books
The Gospel According to Jesus MacArthur Zondervan
The King James Version Defended Hills Christian Research
Touch Not the Unclean Thing Sorenson  Northstar Baptist Ministries
Which Bible? Fuller Institute for Biblical Textual Studies
Whosoever Will Allen/Lemke B&H Academic
Biography and History
50 People Every Christian Should Know Wiersbe Baker Books
An American Life Reagan Simon & Schuster
Bold as a Lamb Anderson Zondervan
Cast Your Bread Hester Temple Baptist Church
Christianity through the Centuries Cairns Zondervan
David Livingstone: His Life and Letters Seaver Harper
David Livingstone: The Story of One Who Followed Christ Houghton Nabu Press
John R. Rice: Captain of our Team Rice Walden
John Wesley’s Sermons Outler Abingdon Press
Oswald Chambers McCasland Discovery House Publishers
Seven Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness Metaxas Thomas Nelson
The AutOBiography of Charles G. Finney Finney Bethany House Publishers
The Last Founding Father Unger Da Capo Press
The Shadow of the Broad Brim Day Striving Together
Through Sunshine and Shadow Parker/Monroe Sword of the Lord
Tom Malone: The Preacher from Pontiac Vick Sword of the Lord
Unbroken Hillenbrand Random House
Christian Counseling
Adrenaline and Stress Hart Thomas Nelson
Counterfeit Gods Keller Riverhead Trade
Emotionally Healthy Spiritually Scazzero Thomas Nelson
Repentance and the 21st Century Man Miller Christian Literature
Respectable Sins Jerry Bridges NavPress
The Anxiety Cure Hart Thomas Nelson
The Biblical View of Self-Esteem, Self-Love, and Self-Image Adams Harvest House Publishers
The Christian Counselor’s Manual J. Adams Zondervan
The Dark Side of Internet Rand Hummel BJU Press
The Five Languages of Apology Chapman/Thomas Northfield Publishing
The Spirit-Controlled Temperament LaHaye Tyndale
Contemporary Theology
Biblical Separation Ernest Pickering Regular Baptist Press
Broad Is the Way: Fundamentalists Merging into the Evangelical Mainstream Sorenson Northstar Ministries
Grace Gone Wild Jeffress Waterbrook Press
Kingdom of the Cults Martin Baker Publishing Group
New Evangelicalism: The New World Order Smith Paul R. Smith
Set Apart Hughes Crossway Books
The Charismatics MacArthur Zondervan
The Courage to Be Protestant David F. Wells William B Eerdmans
The Tragedy of Compromise Pickering BJU Press
The Truth War John MacArthur Thomas Nelson
There Really Is a Difference Renald Showers Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry
This Little Church Stayed Home Gilley EP Books
What Love Is This? Dave Hunt The Berean Call
Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movemnet Lucarini Evangelical Press
Why We’re Not Emergent DeYoung/Kluck Moody Publishers
Christian Growth
10 Power Principles for Christian Service Wiersbe and Wiersbe Baker Books
Beyond Halftime Buford Zondervan
Changed Into His Image Berg BJU Press
Come Thirsty Lucado Thomas Nelson
Contentment: The Secret to a Lasting Calm Swenson NavPress
Eat to Live Fuhrman Little, Brown and Company
Embraced by the Spirit Swindoll Zondervan
Experiencing God Blackaby B&H Books
Experience the Cross Blackaby Zondervan
Half Time Buford Zondervan
How to Win Over Worry Haggai Harvest House
If God is Good Alcorn Multnomah Books
In Search of Balance Swenson NavPress
Leading on Empty Cordeiro Bethany House
Living in an Imperfect World Ouellette Striving Together
Margin Swenson NavPress
My God is True! Wolfe Banner of Truth
Rescuing Ambition Harvey Crossway Books
Resilience Wright Servant Punbs
Revival Lloyd-Jones Crossway Books
Running Scared Welch/Lutz New Growth Press
Songs in the Night Wiersbe Baker Books
Surprised by Grace Tchividjian Crossway
Switch Heath Crown Business
Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health Whitney NavPress
The Calvary Road Hession CreateSpace
The Christian Atheist Groeschel HarperCollins Publishing
The Hidden Smile of God Piper Crossway
The Promise Morgan B&H Books
The Purity Principle Alcorn Random House
The Incredible Power of Kingdom Authority Rogers Broadman/Holman Publishers
Travelling Light Lucado Thomas Nelson
Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts Bridges NavPress
Family
Christian Living in the Home Adams Baker Book House
Family Life Swindoll Multnomah Press
Finishing Strong Farrar Multnomah Books
Firm Foundataion Chappell Striving Together
God in Your Family Rice Sword of the Lord
King Me Farrar Moody
Shepherding a Child’s Heart Tripp Shepherd Press
Finances
The Total Money Makeover Ramsey Thomas Nelson
The Wall Street Journal. Complete Personal Finance Guidebook Opdyke Crown Business
Leadership
360 Degree Leader Maxwell Nelson
Amusing Ourselves to Death Postman/Postman Penguin Books
Attitude 101 Maxwell Thomas Nelson
Biblical Leadership Collier/Williams Ambassador International
Built to Serve Sanders McGraw-Hill
Everyone Communicates, Few Connect Maxwell Thomas Nelson
Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done Bossidy Crown Business
Getting Things Done Allen Penguin Books
Good to Great Collins Random House
I3: Devotions for Leadership and Life Dan Brokke Summerside Press
In Search of Excellence Peter Waterman Warner Books
Lincoln on Leadership Phillips Warner Books, Inc.
Lead Like Jesus Blanchard Thomas Nelson
Love Works Manby Zondervan
Making it All Work Allen Viking Adult
Replenish: Leading from a Healthy Soul Witt Baker Books
The Daily Drucker Peter Drucker HarperBusiness
The Effective Executive Drucker Harper/Collins Publishers
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Lencioni Jossey-Bass
The Measure of a Man Getz Regal Books
The Power of Less Babauta Hyperion
The Way of the Shepherd Leman/Pentak Zondervan
Your Iceberg Is Melting Kotter St. Martin’s Press
Missions
A Strategy to Start Churches on the Missions Field Martin
Christian Mission Cook Moody Press
Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream Platt Multnomah
Sending Forth Laborers Tomlinson/Chappell Striving Together
Starting a Church on the Mission Field Martin
Understanding Christian Missions Kane Baker Books
Church Leadership
Activate Searcy/Thomas Regal
Beyond the First Visit McIntosh Baker Books
Called to Be God’s Leader Blackaby/Blackaby Thomas Nelson
Criswell’s Guidebook for Pastors Criswell Broadman
Dear Timothy Ascol Founders Press
Disciple Making Pastor Hull Baker Books
For the Hurting Pastor Pickering Regular Baptist
God isn’t in a Hurry Wiersbe Baker Books
Guided By Grace Chappell Striving Together
Heartbeats of the Holy Krauss  Faithful Life
John Ploughman’s Talk Spurgeon Pilgrim Press
Leading with Integrity Smith Bethany House Publishers
Lectures to My Students Spurgeon Baker Book Press
Less Is More Leadership Burke Harvest House
Pastors At Risk London/Wiseman Victor Books
Pastoral Leadership Weirsbe Moody Press
Preaching for Preachers Jones Zondervan
Prodigals & Those That Love Them Graham Baker Books
Shepherding the Church Stowell Moody Press
Sifted Cordeiro Zondervan
Sticky Church Osborne Zondervan
Sunday School in HD Taylor B&H Books
Sunday School That Really Works Parr/Rainer Kregel Academic & Professional
The Heart of a Great Pastor London Regal Books
The Integrity Crisis Wiersbe Oliver Nelson
The Vanishing Ministry Kroll Kregel Publishing
They Call Me Pastor London Regal Books
The Apostles Malone Sword of the Lord
The Church Malone Sword of the Lord
The Contemplative Pastor Peterson William B. Eerdmans
Thirty Minutes to Raise the Dead Bennett  Thomas Nelson
Understanding Islam Feghaly Feghaly
When Life Is Hard MacDonald LifeWay Christian Resources
Prayer
How to Pray Bounds Barbour Publishing
On Earth As It Is In Heaven Wiersbe Baker Books
Prayer Rice Sword of the Lord
Prayer for Revival Beckum Intercessor Ministries, Inc.
The Pastor in Prayer Spurgeon Whitaker House
Prophecy
A Woman Rides the Beast Hunt Harvest House Publishers
Epicenter Rosenberg Tyndale House Publishers
The Coming Economic Armageddon Jeremiah FaithWords
The Late Great State of Israel Klein WND Books
The Popular Bible Prophesy Workbook LaHaye/Hindson Harvest House Publishers
Prophetic Untimeliness Guinness Baker Books
What in the World is Going On Jeremiah Thomas Nelson

View the full article

• Members

Wow - that explains a lot about Chappell's ministry.  There is a lot of junk on that list I would not touch with a 10 ft. pole. 

I am all for reading, learning, and growing.  I am not for fooling around reading a bunch of junk from people who are theologically world's apart from where I am - like Piper, Swindoll, MacArthur, etc. 

If only he would be more careful to apply Mark Twain's quotation at the top of this article!

• Members

When does he have time to read the Bible?

:lol:

I did wonder the same....
I have a bit more time lately than I have previously and I find it difficult to fit in any extra reading.......

• Members

These are books he's read over the years so that would leave plenty of time for that plus the Bible.

I read the Bible every day, first thing in the morning. Typically I will read some more at other points during the day. At the same time, I generally read between 40-80 books every year.

Over the years I've read many of the books on the list above. Not all of those would I recommend. I'm usually very selective in what books I recommend, and then it also depends upon who I am talking with (their maturity level, etc.) as to what I recommend.

Swindoll is one I would never recommend. While he occasionally turns a good phrase that is meaty, he has far too many prOBlem areas to even think of recommending his stuff.

While I've never read a complete book by Piper, I wouldn't recommend his books either. He's another that may produce a good sounding quote but has so many prOBlems I wouldn't recommend him.

MacArthur does have some good stuff and someone mature in the faith could benefit from some of his stuff, but on an overall recommendation list I wouldn't add his name/books. There are other, what I would consider better, books by other authors where one could get the same meat without concern of risking contamination in some area.

While Jeremiah typically uses the NKJV he puts forth some biblically sound books and his presentation of the pre-trib eschatology position is the best I've ever read.

Some don't like Rice because he wasn't KJO but his book on prayer is the best I've read.

Spurgeon has some very edifying books but some would want to avoid them due to his Calvinism.

I don't think I've ever seen a big book list that everyone would agree with. As with the one above, some of those books I've read were very much worth the read. Some were not. Some are tainted simply by the authors too far out there positions in other areas. Others I've not yet read, and for some of them, I don't know that I would want to read them.

• Members

Indeed, I am also a bit concerned at this recommended list.  My concern is not so much that Brother Chappell has read these books per se.  Rather, my great concern is that he has chosen to publicly recommend some of these books and authors.  In our time, far better books than some of these in their doctrinal and spiritual substance are readily available, even if only through some kind of digital format.  So why recommend some of these that are so greatly compromised?

On a separate note, did anyone else notice that the "leadership" lists are the longest of the various categories.  To me this does reveal some things.  From my own perspective concerning the books that I have read, most of the "leadership" type books of our present day tend to be more psychological then Biblical.  Now, that is just my personal two cents (which is prOBably even less valuable than US minted two cents).

• Members

When I was called into the youth ministry my brotherinlaw  gave me some good advice to be very careful of what I may read that man has written he had made that mistake early in college spending most of his time debating and arguing about what someone had written about what the word of God said and not studying the Word of God as he should have. when he was pastor of his first church he continued on reading many books and debating arguing becoming very arrogant and self centered until God showed him how fruitless he was in the ministry.

He has been the pastor of his church (IFB) for 45 years staying on the path that God put him on that day being fruitful in the Ministry. 

I'm very careful of what I read and will always compare it to the word of God but I also believe It's good to learn from what some men have wrote but one needs to be careful not to let man stop their growth in the Lord staying on the path in which God has put them on.                                                                             .

I don't know many of the names listed above but I do know the many names of great men written in the word of God, that's important to me

The Word of God (KJB) is all that I have ever used or needed to have a fruitful an lasting ministry.

God bless 

• Members

Pastor Markle, I was thinking the very same thing today about that leadership section.  I do not understand this generation's OBsession with "leadership," because I personally have not met very many good leaders.  The world tries to create "leaders" with their books, but most of the people I have met who promote these types of books, or who say they have read these types of books, are not good "leaders."  Leaders must be flexible, and able to adapt to the people around them.  Most people I find in "leadership" positions are looking for a list to complete.  Completing lists might make a person a good manager, but managing and leading are two different things.

Further, Biblical "leadership" is far different from secular "leadership."  Secular leadership is psychology based and man-centered; Biblical Leadership is Bible based, and God-centered.

I like to read, and wish I could read more.  But working a secular jOB and pastoring has its complications.  Even if I didn't have to work a secular jOB, I don't know that I could keep pace with John81 (40-80 books per year) - that is an average of one book per week, outside of Bible reading, work, family, chores, honey-does, etc. 

Of course, much of my reading is hard to quantify.  I regularly consult commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias, periodicals, and such, plus my regular Bible reading. In addition, I have to peruse some other books I have previously read to refresh my memory on some things as I teach them for our church.  So I would venture to say that I read maybe 12 or so NEW books in a year.  If I didn't work a secular jOB, that number would go up dramatically.

• Members

For the most part, true leaders are born. From a Christian perspective this is especially true as it should be the Lord placing folks in leadership positions. If the Lord places someone in a position of leadership, whether as a pastor or Sunday school teacher, He will equip them to the task.

I fully agree those in Christian leadership positions shouldn't be looking to worldly techniques of leadership to try and enhance their abilities. That's how (at least in part) we ended up with those "seeker sensitive" churches which were based upon worldly business models which advocated worldly leadership.

• Members

As has been mentioned here, the Bible is of the utmost importance for reading and studying, and I believe that point should have been made in the introduction to his reading list. While this may seem like common sense to some of us, it's not for everyone and not even for myself in my early Christian life. It needs to be made clear that nothing, no book by any author can take place of Bible reading or can work in our hearts, minds and souls as does the Bible.

In my early Christian walk, before the Lord directed me to the KJB, I somehow came to the conclusion that I had already read the Bible so much there wasn't much more I could get out of reading it so much. So, it seemed I could learn so much more and get more practical applications of what the Bible teaches by spending more time reading books written by those who know the Bible well. Mind you this was while I was reading a selection from the NIV out of a devotional NIV someone had given me and my other Bible at that time was an NASB. Anyway, I foolishly began spending less time in the Bible and more time reading Christian books. Being yet a young and immature Christian I expected that if a book was Christian that meant it was good to read. I hadn't yet learned of all the vast differences between and among Christianity. Needless to say my spiritual life suffered and I ended up reading books that served more to confuse or put wrong ideas in my head that would later need to be cleaned out.

Thankfully it was after going through that mess the Lord "spoke" to me so very plainly that I was to read the KJB. Wow! Like a huge spotlight shining the Word was so open to me, was so alive, truly pierced me and I developed such a hunger for reading the Word. I also found that memorization became almost easy and I had a great hunger for that as well. That's when I truly started growing in Christ.

So, I think if a pastor gives out a book list he should make it very clear that the Bible is the most important book and should be read every day (and not just out of a quick duty) and that any other book is secondary.

It would also help if the pastor would have pointed out which books in his list were biblically solid and which ones were not so solid (as he mentioned some he didn't totally agree with, needed to be read with discernment so one could spit out the bones while getting at the meat). The not so solid books (which I wouldn't even put on a public list) shouldn't be read by anyone who isn't mature enough in the Word to have solid discernment. (and even if one is mature enough to read them, it might not be the best thing to do)

As Pastor Markle mentioned above, with there being so many biblically sound books out there, why even recommend books that are not totally sound when whatever meat is in them can be found in better books?

• Members

Further, Biblical "leadership" is far different from secular "leadership."  Secular leadership is psychology based and man-centered; Biblical Leadership is Bible based, and God-centered.

Brother Schwenke,

I "liked" your posting above in order to indicate my agreement overall.

However, concerning the above quote, I desire to give a very public and hearty -- Amen, and AMEN!

A study of God's Holy Word concerning truly Biblical leadership principles would be of great value, and a book written in accord with that study would also be of great value.  However, most of the "leadership" books that are written today, no matter how they quote various portions of Scripture, are founded upon secular minded principles, rather than spiritually minded principles.

Archived