• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Debate Topics

• Administrators

Due to a recent topic that was posted here on Online Baptist we are thinking about having a debate forum where only certain 3 or 4 members can discuss in a debate format (not a free for all). 

I'll be away next week, but let's get the ball rolling on topics. Please post topics below that you feel would make a great discussion and I will choose one when I get back. Thank you.

• Members

It depends upon what we mean by "debate". If it's a classic style debate with each side seeking to factually prove their position, hopefully with an open enough mind to accept the outcome if the facts indicate they are wrong, then such can be of benefit.

If it's the more contemporary "debate" which is just another name for arguing ones point, often with more intent to prove they are right than to present facts and see where they lead, then that's not good.

• Members

Also, debates do no good if one is using Scripture out of context in an effort to prove he is Scripturally correct in his position.

In other words, one cannot read God's command to Moses to "Take of thine shoes from off thy feet" and say 'that proves that every time Paul entered a Temple he lieft his shoes outside the door.'

If one is going to attempt to prove another's view in Scripture is incorrect, one needs to use Scripture, in context, to do so.

• Members

It might also be helpful to remember we are under the NT, not the OT. As Christians are lives are to be lived in accord with the NT. In cases where something during the OT was to be incorporated into the NT, the Holy Ghost added that into the NT writings.

While a limited example, there are some who point to a passage in the OT of a prophet preaching from a wooden platform and have thus built the rule that right churches and preachers will have only wooden pulpits. No such instructions in the NT yet they reach back into the OT to make rules for Christian living that God didn't give us in or under the NT. (yes, like I said, a limited example, especially since there was no outright direction even for that prophet to use wood, but hopefully it helps convey the point)

I've encountered those who will take an issue and while there is absolutely nothing in the NT directing Christians to do "X", they point to this or that from the OT, often extrapolating or theorizing as they go, and then declaring that since "X" was the way then, that means we have to continue "X" under the NT; never mind that if God wanted that to be the case He could have pointed it out in the NT as He did with regards to a few other matters.

Perhaps I'm simply saying we should try to focus the debates with regards to Christian living so we aren't caught up in rabbit trails covering the OT when we should be considering what saith the Lord for Christians?

Along these lines, some also like to use the "all Scripture is profitable" as a catch all for saying anything in Scripture they want to say applies to NT Christians they can say so...even while they will argue against other things from the OT on the basis that it's not for NT Christians.

• Members

I agree John, and leniency should be given to some aspects too, that Jesus Christ has been forever

and if God said something in the Old Testament, it was also Jesus saying it too, yet as a direction for

future examples of how God thought we should live now.

That sounded confusing.

But what I mean is, the things God told man before the New Testament were for our learning, not just about the 'Christ to come',

but also about the righteousness that God wanted us to train ourselves and fellow mankind on 'what' to do, and 'how' to accomplish

OBedience to the Lord.

Not everything in the Old Testament was for naught, like some think. It is still wrong to murder, it is still wrong to commit adultery, etc.,

yet some think that since the Old Testament is old, that we aren't required to do 'such and such' anymore.

Yet, righteousness is still righteousness.

It's not that it is 'required' as much as it is 'a source' to look at for directions on what is right and what is wrong.

Some call it 'living by the law', yet some of those things were for 'wisdom' from the Lord on how to be healthy, or how to run a legal system,

or how our children, (as examples for us too), ought to live right in honor to God our Creator.

Just a thought to add. And I know some already know this, just pointing it out, so it is stated.

Edited by Genevanpreacher