• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reformed Theology Is Replacement Theology

• Moderators

Then if you haven't seen it? How can you prove that He does?

God said in His Word He has hands eyes etc.. Is He a liar?

The prOBlem here, gentlemen, is our human inability to grasp the nature of God, so we want to make it mean what we want it to mean. Does the Bible say God is Spirit? Absolutely. Does it say He has hands, arms, eyes, etc? Absolutely. Let's leave it at that and accept what the Word says, and when we see Him face to face one day, maybe we will be able to grasp it a little bit better. But to argue over HOW it can be one as well as the other is an effort in futility and serves to become vain jangling, (one of my favorite Bible terms, by the way).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God said in His Word He has hands eyes etc.. Is He a liar?

No. God condescends to our intellect. He speaks to us in language and concepts that we can understand.Do you really think in Psalm 18, God literally reached down from heaven in the same sense that you reach down to pick something up? God omnipotent! He could do anything, He is not bound by physicality.

• Members

The prOBlem here, gentlemen, is our human inability to grasp the nature of God, so we want to make it mean what we want it to mean. Does the Bible say God is Spirit? Absolutely. Does it say He has hands, arms, eyes, etc? Absolutely. Let's leave it at that and accept what the Word says, and when we see Him face to face one day, maybe we will be able to grasp it a little bit better. But to argue over HOW it can be one as well as the other is an effort in futility and serves to become vain jangling, (one of my favorite Bible terms, by the way).

Vain jangling is prOBably in a newer translation, I believe :D

• Members

Are you seriously going to follow him down his rabbit trail and away from the OP?

He doesn't like the subject and is trying to lead it away.

Go right ahead and feast at his table - but it is a red herring and I just don't like his oily fish........

• Members

The Church is not the “new Israel” or the “spiritual Israel,” but rather “one new man” created of two groups, saved Jews and saved Gentiles (Eph. 2:15; 1 Cor. 10:32). The terms “Israel,” “Israelite,” and “Jew,” are used in the New Testament to refer to national, ethnic Israel. The term “Israel” is used of the nation or the people as a whole or the believing remnant within. It is not used of the Church in general or of Gentile believers in particular. Saved Gentiles of this present age are spiritual sons of Abraham who is the father of all who believe (Rom. 4:12,16; Gal. 3:7,26,29), whether Jews or Gentiles. However, believing Gentiles are not Israelites [that is, they are not the sons of JacOB]. The Israelites are carefully defined by Paul in Romans 9:4-5.

Dispensationalism: A Clarifying Statement in View of the Confused Theological Climate

• Members

The only reason I am still on OB, is that I hope this prOBlem stated by the OP will change how OB is run.... [snip] ...Also, my point is not to so discord.  It is my hope to build up OB, to the site, that it was years ago.

Actually, I would say the only reason you're on OB right now is that Matt and the mods seem to have an abundance of grace in letting you routinely whine and whinge about how they are not providing you a good enough service for free and are not putting in enough of their own unpaid hours to respond to all of your pms quickly enough or moderate the site as diligently as you would like. That moan you posted further up I've seen already about 20 times; you've been posting it almost word-for-word ever since you came back to this site.

You say it is your hope to build up OB. Well to me 'building up' means doing things like publicly thanking Matt and mods for what they do, asking them if they want prayer for anything, offering one's own time as a volunteer or if that's not possible then redoubling one's thanks to others for offering theirs. And criticising as kindly as possible by showing one's gratitude at the same time. That's the kind of thing that occurs to me when I think of 'building up' others.

Yet inbetween all the public criticisms of Matt and mods, I've never once seen you do any of the above. On the contrary, when Dr Ach was hollering for Salyan, HC and even Matt to be kicked out of their leadership roles (did he forget that this is a private site that Matt pays for?) you actually *supported* him.

And you say that you don't mean to sow discord, yet when Dr Ach was running around doing hatchet jOBs on folk--John81 by accusing him of not being KJVO and Salyan by doing down her upbringing and church--once again you were supporting him. When HC bans Dr Ach for bad behaviour and you criticise that decision, you in effect endorse all the bad behaviour that culminated in him getting banned.

And then for an encore you respond to Salyan telling you not to criticise their efforts so publicly by...er...having a public moan about how they are not replying to all your pms. You even reinforce your point by highlighting a bit of Salyan's text ('By all means, report it or PM us') despite the fact that the very next sentence of Salyan's is a reminder that they can't always reply because of time constraints. Couldn't make it up!

Bless you for all your wonderful day-to-day contributions to this forum--many more than me. You are one of the regular posters that keeps the forum alive. But boy do you mistake building up for sticking the boot in.

• Members

Actually, I would say the only reason you're on OB right now is that Matt and the mods seem to have an abundance of grace in letting you routinely whine and whinge about how they are not providing you a good enough service for free and are not putting in enough of their own unpaid hours to respond to all of your pms quickly enough or moderate the site as diligently as you would like. That moan you posted further up I've seen already about 20 times; you've been posting it almost word-for-word ever since you came back to this site.

You say it is your hope to build up OB. Well to me 'building up' means doing things like publicly thanking Matt and mods for what they do, asking them if they want prayer for anything, offering one's own time as a volunteer or if that's not possible then redoubling one's thanks to others for offering theirs. And criticising as kindly as possible by showing one's gratitude at the same time. That's the kind of thing that occurs to me when I think of 'building up' others.

Yet inbetween all the public criticisms of Matt and mods, I've never once seen you do any of the above. On the contrary, when Dr Ach was hollering for Salyan, HC and even Matt to be kicked out of their leadership roles (did he forget that this is a private site that Matt pays for?) you actually *supported* him.

And you say that you don't mean to sow discord, yet when Dr Ach was running around doing hatchet jOBs on folk--John81 by accusing him of not being KJVO and Salyan by doing down her upbringing and church--once again you were supporting him. When HC bans Dr Ach for bad behaviour and you criticise that decision, you in effect endorse all the bad behaviour that culminated in him getting banned.

And then for an encore you respond to Salyan telling you not to criticise their efforts so publicly by...er...having a public moan about how they are not replying to all your pms. You even reinforce your point by highlighting a bit of Salyan's text ('By all means, report it or PM us') despite the fact that the very next sentence of Salyan's is a reminder that they can't always reply because of time constraints. Couldn't make it up!

Bless you for all your wonderful day-to-day contributions to this forum--many more than me. You are one of the regular posters that keeps the forum alive. But boy do you mistake building up for sticking the boot in.

Well, if they are gracious to keep me on OB, then they are keeping others on OB who whine as well.  And, those who are sarcastic to the point of belittling people, daily.

Dr. Ach is a Jew like myself.  My ancestral roots have been proven.  I am also Black Irish (which is Hispanic Irish).  I may not use sarcasm like you do, Al.  I just get to the point.  I have never been know to beat around the bush.   Having a temper, from now and then is not a bad thing at all.  It is better than people who sit like bumps on a log, and do nothing.  I believe Charles Spurgeon said something to this effect.  Let me see if I can find his quote.

• Members

Are you seriously going to follow him down his rabbit trail and away from the OP?
He doesn't like the subject and is trying to lead it away.
Go right ahead and feast at his table - but it is a red herring and I just don't like his oily fish........

My issue with Linda's post was her allegory/ literal translation of Scripture. I have never heard it read in Covenant theology that the church was visible or in anyway in the OT. If anyone believes that they are wrong.

• Members

Spurgeon's quote has to do with anger.  The Bible specifically says, "be angry and sin not."  My anger is in hopes to get this site back to where it once was, years ago, when I used to learn a lot.  Other's use sarcasm, like yourself, which belittles people.  I ask, what's the difference?

"A vigorous temper is not altogether an evil. Men who are easy as an old shoe are generally of little worth." ~ Charles Spurgeon 

• Members

Well, if they are gracious to keep me on OB, then they are keeping others on OB who whine as well.  And, those who are sarcastic to the point of belittling people, daily.

Dr. Ach is a Jew like myself.  My ancestral roots have been proven.  I am also Black Irish (which is Hispanic Irish).  I may not use sarcasm like you do, Al.  I just get to the point.  I have never been know to beat around the bush.   Having a temper, from now and then is not a bad thing at all.  It is better than people who sit like bumps on a log, and do nothing.  I believe Charles Spurgeon said something to this effect.  Let me see if I can find his quote.

Well I don't know who you're talking about when you say they are gracious to those who are sarcastic to the point of belittling people daily, because you beat around the bush by not naming names. If you're referring to me, my response is that I don't think I was sarcastic toward you at all in that post I just wrote, and as for belittling people daily I do tend to criticise TGL for his behaviour towards me and others, though not frequently, so fair comment I guess.

You telling me you are a Jew--sorry don't see the relevance to what is effectively a discussion about good manners. Good for you if you know your roots; I don't know mine.

And whining and having a bad temper (your word--I've not noticed it) is not the same as doing something. HC and Salyan and the other mods are the ones who are doing something.

• Members

My anger is in hopes to get this site back to where it once was, years ago

I know and I addressed that point in my first response to you. I don't think publicly slating the mods and the whole site again and again and again while never expressing gratitude and moreover supporting those who say they want the mods and site owner booted will help the site at all.

• Members

Well I don't know who you're talking about when you say they are gracious to those who are sarcastic to the point of belittling people daily, because you beat around the bush by not naming names. If you're referring to me, my response is that I don't think I was sarcastic toward you at all in that post I just wrote, and as for belittling people daily I do tend to criticise TGL for his behaviour towards me and others, though not frequently, so fair comment I guess.

You telling me you are a Jew--sorry don't see the relevance to what is effectively a discussion about good manners. Good for you if you know your roots; I don't know mine.

And whining and having a bad temper (your word--I've not noticed it) is not the same as doing something. HC and Salyan and the other mods are the ones who are doing something.

Two members on this site, including you, belittle people with sarcastic comments. Yes, I am talking about your personally sarcastic posts to TGL.  

You don't see the relevance of being being a Jew by blood?  Did you read what the OP said?  It cuts me to the core of my soul to see people, on this site, talk about what the OP stated.  You seriously can't get that?  Not being a Jew, I suppose you wouldn't though.

I will repeat Spurgeon's quote, as you conveniently looked it over.

"A vigorous temper is not altogether an evil. Men who are easy as an old shoe are generally of little worth." ~ Charles Spurgeon 

Archived