• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Word of the Day...

Comfit

Noun 1. comfit - candy containing a fruit or nut confection, sweet - a food rich in sugar
Verb 1. comfit - make into a confection;

In the Middle East, comfits are often offered to guests at weddings.

Swivet

Noun 1. swivet - a panic or extreme discomposure; affright, panic, terror - an overwhelming feeling of fear and anxiety

It threw her into a swivet.

Comfit

Noun 1. comfit - candy containing a fruit or nut confection, sweet - a food rich in sugar
Verb 1. comfit - make into a confection;

In the Middle East, comfits are often offered to guests at weddings.

Thanks for defining this word, BHD. I remember seeing this word every time I read through The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. I never knew what it meant, but I remember thinking it sounded "comfortable," and since it was listed along with lullabies, poppets, and toys, I thought it was something to play with. Now I really know...thanks!

You're welcome. Before I looked up the definition for "comfit", I assumed it was the opposite of "discomfit" which means to put into a state of perplexity and embarrassment.

Imagine my discomfiture had I posted the incorrect definition. :bleh:

Mm, good words! PE wrote these two words about Barack Obama:

I think it's a lost cause to expect him to put away his sophomoric, puerile, and other childish attitudes.

Sophomoric - Conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature

Puerile - Juvenile, childish, silly

Very good word from HappyChristian today! I had never heard this word used in this context before; thanks for the learning experience, LuAnne! :thumb

In the brainwashing thread, LuAnne wrote:

"Teaching them a song that says that Obama's going to bring freedom goes beyond the pale."

Pale: A wooden stake; A fence, especially one made from wooden stakes; A territory or defensive area that one nation holds in another country, e.g., Britain?s medieval control of Calais in France or Dublin in Ireland; The jurisdiction (territorial or otherwise) of an authority; The bounds of ...

Wow, another good word already today...

OLD fashioned used adjudicated in John81's Tragedy thread.

Adjudicated:
1. To hear and settle (a case) by judicial procedure.
2. To study and settle (a dispute or conflict), to act as a judge.

The principal adjudicated our quarrel.

Thanks, LuAnne for a great word!

Obfuscate - To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand:

But when faced with that fact last night in the debate (not the word, but the fact that he wants to spread the wealth) he obfuscated, as he does any time something bad is pointed out about him.

Thanks, LuAnne for a great word!

Obfuscate - To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand:

But when faced with that fact last night in the debate (not the word, but the fact that he wants to spread the wealth) he obfuscated, as he does any time something bad is pointed out about him.

Thanks... :wvlf"

Time to bring back this thread on account of a great new word by Bakers:

"Yeah, my response to that one vacillated between..."

1. To sway from one side to the other; oscillate.
2. To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another.

I heard the word "popinjay" today on Bill O'Reilly's show: popinjay - a person given to vain, pretentious displays and empty chatter.

Hmmm ... Could he be describing himself?

Mitch

We now have a new award called the Vocabulary Award. You can view the description and icon here. It is at the bottom of the list. Really, check it out. :coolsmiley:

To win this award, you must use a rare/unusual word:

1. In a sentence
2. In normal conversation here on OB (Just posting a cool word and the def. doesn't count.)
3. In the correct context and definition of the word

This award will move from person to person; whoever is recognized here (like we've been doing) will get the award. The next person to be recognized will then receive the award, etc.

I don't read every single post or thread so if you read a word that you feel is award-worthy, send me a PM or mention it here.

Okaaaaayyyyy. :peek: I don't know about that but your entry of "Epicurean" in the food thread was good enough for the award. Congrats on being the first winner!

Epicurean - Devoted to the pursuit of sensual pleasure, especially to the enjoyment of good food and comfort.

We have a new winner!

In this thread:
http://onlinebaptist.com/messageboards/thread-9603.html

holster used the word, bloviating.

Bloviate: To speak pompously and excessively or to expound ridiculously.

Appreciate the award. But in truth I have to give the credit to Mr. Bill O'Reilly. It is one of his favorites.