• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Word of the Day...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Comfit

Noun 1. comfit - candy containing a fruit or nut confection, sweet - a food rich in sugar
Verb 1. comfit - make into a confection;

In the Middle East, comfits are often offered to guests at weddings.

Swivet

Noun 1. swivet - a panic or extreme discomposure; affright, panic, terror - an overwhelming feeling of fear and anxiety

It threw her into a swivet.

• Members
Comfit

Noun 1. comfit - candy containing a fruit or nut confection, sweet - a food rich in sugar
Verb 1. comfit - make into a confection;

In the Middle East, comfits are often offered to guests at weddings.

Thanks for defining this word, BHD. I remember seeing this word every time I read through The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. I never knew what it meant, but I remember thinking it sounded "comfortable," and since it was listed along with lullabies, poppets, and toys, I thought it was something to play with. Now I really know...thanks!

• Members

Very good word from HappyChristian today! I had never heard this word used in this context before; thanks for the learning experience, LuAnne! :thumb

In the brainwashing thread, LuAnne wrote:

"Teaching them a song that says that Obama's going to bring freedom goes beyond the pale."

Pale: A wooden stake; A fence, especially one made from wooden stakes; A territory or defensive area that one nation holds in another country, e.g., Britain?s medieval control of Calais in France or Dublin in Ireland; The jurisdiction (territorial or otherwise) of an authority; The bounds of ...