• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Word of the Day...

• Members

I tried this before but didn't keep up with it. :icon_redface: I'll try to do better this time around but it won't be everyday that I post a word.

If you read a word in a post here on OB and you do not know the definition, please post it here. We can all increase our vocabulary together. :icon_mrgreen:(I know, most of you are saying, "How boring!")

I'll start with a word Annie used yesterday:

Milieu - the physical or social setting in which something occurs or develops

My point had nothing to do with anyone's ignorance, but rather with their unwillingness to exist in a milieu where their ideas can be addressed from a different perspective--

Here's one that dh loves and apparently our pastor does too because he has used it in his sermons these past 3 Sundays: :lol:

Juxtaposition - to place side by side

These ideas are in juxtaposition with each other.

I love words; humor me! :bleh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Juxtaposition - to place side by side

These ideas are in juxtaposition with each other.

How interesting...I have always labored under the delusion that juxtaposition means "to switch around." Thank you for disabusing me of this notion! Now you know I'm going to have to go and look this word up to see if it really doesn't mean "to switch around."

Thanks for brightening my day. I love words also.

EDIT: It DOES mean only "to place side by side"!!! Thanks for showing me a new word, BHD! Now I will use it confidently...just watch!

• Members
Paradigm-Shift::::::::: A serious epiphany wherein an individual is convinced that his line of thinking has been all wrong from way back.

((((((Normally these two words are not hyphenated, but I did that to fit the style of the thread. :wink )))))))

That's another great one, pneu-engine. There's just something about the word paradigm that makes its user sound erudite...