• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Administrators

I will go one day at a time. Remember that there are thousands of Christians sending their kids to a public school, and you are telling them the same thing.

Nope. This conversation it with you, not the thousands of Christians.  Again, it's your decision. But a decision not bathed in prayer has disaster written all over it from the start - regardless of what it's about !

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Judge Judy... :)

Judge Judy would prOBably be a lot harsher.  You know, TGL, you started this thread. And I believe you started it because you knew the majority of members would not support it.  And you wanted conflict.  You've already been warned once in this thread.  Now you've been warned twice (which is your third warning overall). And you know what three strikes means...

• Members

Okay....so I was in public school as a young kid...then in traditional Christian school....then briefly homeschooled, then in a Christian ACE school.   Then I went to school for secondary ed, and have taught five years in various Christian schools.  I have also known a few people in various public schools in more modern times.   My thoughts:

1.  If you can avoid public school these days, you should.  Reasons being:  evolution taught, gay agenda taught, English NOT being taught, math standards being reduced, sex and drugs rampant.   When we get public school kids transferred into Christian school, they cannot keep up with the English or Math classes being taught....far below grade level.   I recently chatted with my cousins, who are honors students in their local public school, and they have no clue how to pick apart a sentence in English and tell what the function of each word is, and they haven't had spelling since elementary school.   I recently visited a church that used a different version of the Bible (I was visiting family) and I was able to mentally diagram a few of the verses in my head and pick out differences in the versions that someone who didn't have a good grasp of the English language would never be able to do, to cite one example of why English is still important.  Oh and my honors cousins cannot read very much if written in cursive.   HOWEVER some people cannot afford to homeschool or put their kids in Christian school.  If that is the case, then pray a lot, and spend a lot of time balancing out the filth of public school by having an extra strong family and church life.

2.  Christian school is good, and is our choice.  However you cannot lower your guard...lots of filth in Chrisitian school too.  However at least there you end up, usually anyway, with a bit higher quality education, and the social interaction and sports that you would want for your child.  You still need to be vigilant...my kids have learned more from other "Christian" kids than I would prefer they would have learned.

3.  Homeschool works for many, not optimal for everyone.   We are choosing to homeschool this coming year for the first time ever, for our youngest, for second grade, using ABeka video.   I'm nervous, but our youngest needs extra attention and is floundering and discouraged in traditional school.    We are hoping to get him caught up for a year or two at home, with the goal of putting him back into school once his test results get more on grade level, and his social ability matures some.   Our oldest three, however, are going to attend Christian school as long as we can, unless something happens with the school (which they are in turmoil this year, big administration changes coming.)

Schooling is a very personal choice, and the judgement calls really cannot be made by anyone but God.   However, parenting is the responsibility of the parents and not the school, so if a child gets into sin, the fault is the parents AND the child...not the school.  But I firmly believe personally that I should help my child as much as possible by keeping them out of the public school environment.  Plus, the educational quality I'm seeing coming out of public school is NOT good at all, and common core is lowering standards even further IMO.   I'm going to guess that an "honors" student from a public school would struggle with the "regular" classes in many Christian schools.

Archived