• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Members

NN, I'll pick your reply later from home, let me ask you what u asked earlier and nOBody has answered? Do you beleive the sovergnty of God?, especially in light of Daniel 1? Do you not beleive that God can use His people as light into the world?
It's strange, most of the IFB's I know, claim to be "living right" for God, tend to be fatalistic that God won't protect then anywhere in life of they feel they aren't "living right" and some how sin will swallow them whole and God's judent will be in them .

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where would you find this in Scripture and can you back this statement up? To me, this seems to be your opinion that you have turned into a command.Do you believe God is sovereign? I wasn't homeschooled, were you? How many here were?

This is way past your level of "Christian" thinking Jeffrey. You won't get it with the Spiritual life, learning and environments you are in. The basic understanding of the Epistles with eyes to see would make your outlook on most of the subjects presented in this forum totally different than they are.

Not to be uncharitably in any way Jeff, but your mindset is of the world and not of Christ and until you remove yourself from a watereddown lukewarm church and circle of friends, you will never want to "get" any of this.

• Members

This is way past your level of "Christian" thinking Jeffrey. You won't get it with the Spiritual life, learning and environments you are in. The basic understanding of the Epistles with eyes to see would make your outlook on most of the subjects presented in this forum totally different than they are.

Not to be uncharitably in any way Jeff, but your mindset is of the world and not of Christ and until you remove yourself from a watereddown lukewarm church and circle of friends, you will never want to "get" any of this.

Funny you say that, I am even more convinced by visiting this site at times, that I did the best thing for my family by moving them out of the IFB church. At some responses I get, some people come across as the the Pharisees did in John 5:39, more focused on the laws which Christ has fulfilled, and not focused on Christ Himself, you know, I spoke about that in the do right post. I'm focused in Christ, sharing the Gospel, loving my neighbors, trying to teach my children the same, not hide from the world and judge it, God will do that!

• Moderators

Funny you say that, I am even more convinced by visiting this site at times at some responses I get. Some people come across as the the Pharisees did in John 5:39, more focused on the laws which Christ has fulfilled, and not focused on Christ Himself, you know, I spoke about that in the do right post. I'm focused in Christ, sharing the Gospel, loving my neighbors, trying to teach my children the same, not hide from the world and judge it, God will do that!

He has a point, you guys...

• Members

The prOBlem is, people tend to be on one side or the other. Standards, rules, and personal holiness...or..."grace" to live as they please.

Jeffrey has asserted that all IFBs fall under the camp that pushes standards, rules, and personal holiness; however, he is quick to point out (when others lump him in with a certain group) that he's not like what others lump him in with...even though he aligns himself with a certain group(s).

I will be the first to say that the general idea that people associate with IFBs is legalism, and there's good reason for that view being held. Does that make all IFBs legalists? No.

Is there anything wrong with having standards, rules, and trying to live a life pleasing to the Lord? No...of course not. Is there anything wrong with living like the world, because we are under grace? As Paul said, God forbid!

Now...is there anything wrong with having standards, rules, and trying to live a life pleasing to the Lord...and forcing that on others? Yes! I'm not talking about Christian Schools or parenting; I'm talking about pastors/teachers/Christians who try to force other Christians to live by a standard that "THEY" think others should live by. How soon we forget that we didn't become the Christian we are today overnight. The Christian life is a growth process. As we grow in the Lord, we become more conformed to his image...if we are willing to allow him to work in and through us.

I will readily admit that I used to be more on the legalistic side...until I realized some things that I don't have time to go into. Does that mean that I have given up standards, rules, and personal holiness? No...those things are biblical. Does that mean when I see error that I should just be silent and just love everybody. No...that's not biblical. Yes, we are to love everybody; however, we are to stand for truth.

I'm at the point in my Christian life where I have separated myself from a lot of man-made doctrines and commandments of men. However, that doesn't negate the fact that we are Christ's...we are not our own...we are bought with a price, and far be it from me to go against clear commands and principles in God's word that tell us to separate, have standards, rules, and try to live a life of personal holiness. Just because a group of Christians have abused that in the past doesn't make it unbiblical.

Yes, we are to love everyone, but do we realize what that love entails? It entails living a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness...

Romans 13:8-10
8   Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9   For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10   Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

We live that life of standards, rules, and personal holiness because of love...at least, that's the true reason we should. That's what I realized some time back. Forcing standards, rules, and holiness on others will only produce Pharisees in "most" cases. I experienced it first hand, so I know what I'm talking about...not to mention the testimonies that I've heard from others. I'm thankful that the Lord delivered me from it before it became ingrained.

There is nothing wrong with preaching against sin and pointing things out that are sinful, but let the Holy Spirit be the one who changes the person...that's his responsibility, not the pastor's, teacher's, and other Christian's. I tried to conform under a previous pastor's "you're not right with God if _______" type of preaching...Sunday after Sunday after Sunday...and Wednesday after Wednesday after Wednesday...and I was miserable, because I was doing it for the wrong reasons...however...when the Holy Spirit worked it out in my life, it was a joy, because I was doing it out of love for the one who died for me.

There doesn't have to be one side or the other...standards or no standards, rules or no rules, holiness or worldliness under "grace"...a Christian who loves his Lord and loves others will...WILL...live a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness out of love. Love for his Lord and love for others. Love is the factor though...living it under our own power, to please a pastor, or for any other reason is wrong, Pharisaical, and sinful...because...if we are doing it for the wrong reason, it becomes our own righteousness, and all of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.

So...with that, I ask these questions...and I'm asking this sincerely and humbly...not to stir up strife.

Why would someone who lumps all IFBs together, is so opposed to IFBs, who has no desire to be an IFB, and is so quick to stand against IFBs...why would that person join an IFB forum? What is their purpose? 

• Members

Funny you say that, I am even more convinced by visiting this site at times, that I did the best thing for my family by moving them out of the IFB church. At some responses I get, some people come across as the the Pharisees did in John 5:39, more focused on the laws which Christ has fulfilled, and not focused on Christ Himself, you know, I spoke about that in the do right post. I'm focused in Christ, sharing the Gospel, loving my neighbors, trying to teach my children the same, not hide from the world and judge it, God will do that!

I think you pretend to mistake strong meat with legalism to make yourself feel better about your worldly attitude and living. You don't fool me though brother. You may be the only persistent baby christian I have seen on this site.

Persistent babies are those who are convicted of giving into the flesh continuously but in their hearts know better. You come here to learn and you yearn to grow but your flesh keeps talking yourself out of it when you come here so you fight.

I don't want to fight with you because I can tell you do want to follow to Christ truly or you would avoid this site like the plague. This site has its issues but you will certainly grow more here than any contemporary rock and roll church.

• Members

The prOBlem is, people tend to be on one side or the other. Standards, rules, and personal holiness...or..."grace" to live as they please.

First off, your not holy for what you do, will do or desire or will, It's Christ, death, burial and Resurrection that makes us holy

Second, your quote,.."grace" to live as they please., I don't think you understand what grace is and how believers react to it.

Jeffrey has asserted that all IFBs fall under the camp that pushes standards, rules, and personal holiness; however, he is quick to point out (when others lump him in with a certain group) that he's not like what others lump him in with...even though he aligns himself with a certain group(s).

First, If you read my post, I say that from what I was exposed to is what i base my experiences on, many on this very site have been gracious and Christlike towards me, Candle Light;Salyan: Happy Christian: UkuleleMike,...

I will be the first to say that the general idea that people associate with IFBs is legalism, and there's good reason for that view being held. Does that make all IFBs legalists? No.

I agree. My best friend is IFB; He is closer to me than my own flesh and blood brother.....we have our disagreements, but we are still close

Is there anything wrong with having standards, rules, and trying to live a life pleasing to the Lord? No...of course not. Is there anything wrong with living like the world, because we are under grace? As Paul said, God forbid!

Here is what Paul wrote leading up to Romans 6 (Focus on verse 17)

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19 For as by one man's disOBedience many were made sinners, so by the OBedience of one shall many be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

•  

If you believe that believers want to run and sin "under grace", I might have a suspicion that you are Semi-Pelagianist,

Now...is there anything wrong with having standards, rules, and trying to live a life pleasing to the Lord...and forcing that on others? Yes! I'm not talking about Christian Schools or parenting; I'm talking about pastors/teachers/Christians who try to force other Christians to live by a standard that "THEY" think others should live by. How soon we forget that we didn't become the Christian we are today overnight. The Christian life is a growth process. As we grow in the Lord, we become more conformed to his image...if we are willing to allow him to work in and through us.

Irony?

I will readily admit that I used to be more on the legalistic side...until I realized some things that I don't have time to go into. Does that mean that I have given up standards, rules, and personal holiness? No...those things are biblical. Does that mean when I see error that I should just be silent and just love everybody. No...that's not biblical. Yes, we are to love everybody; however, we are to stand for truth.

Colossians 2: 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11 in whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17 which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,19 and not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Yes, we are to love everyone, but do we realize what that love entails? It entails living a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness...

Romans 13:8-10

8   Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9   For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10   Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Hint:this is the key to that statement, your life of standards won't allow you to love anyone because nOBody can or want to live to your standards

There doesn't have to be one side or the other...standards or no standards, rules or no rules, holiness or worldliness under "grace"...a Christian who loves his Lord and loves others will...WILL...live a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness out of love. Love for his Lord and love for others. Love is the factor though...living it under our own power, to please a pastor, or for any other reason is wrong, Pharisaical, and sinful...because...if we are doing it for the wrong reason, it becomes our own righteousness, and all of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.Yes, we are to love everyone, but do we realize what that love entails? It entails living a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness...Yes, we are to love everyone, but do we realize what that love entails? It entails living a life of standards, rules, and personal holiness...

wow, just wow!!! i am literally speechless SMH, I dont even know where to begin with this statement.. this is what Fundamentalism does to you!!!

you want a picture of it?,here it is

• Members

<p>
First off, your not holy for what you do, will do or desire or will, It's Christ, death, burial and Resurrection that makes us holy
Second, your quote,.."grace" to live as they please., I don't think you understand what grace is and how believers react to it.

First, If you read my post, I say that from what I was exposed to is what i base my experiences on, many on this very site have been gracious and Christlike towards me, Candle Light;Salyan: Happy Christian: UkuleleMike,...

I agree. My best friend is IFB; He is closer to me than my own flesh and blood brother.....we have our disagreements, but we are still close

Here is what Paul wrote leading up to Romans 6 (Focus on verse 17)

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disOBedience many were made sinners, so by the OBedience of one shall many be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

If you believe that believers want to run and sin "under grace", I might have a suspicion that you are Semi-Pelagianist,

Irony?

Colossians 2: 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11 in whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17 which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,19 and not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Hint:this is the key to that statement, your life of standards won't allow you to love anyone because nOBody can or want to live to your standards

wow, just wow!!! i am literally speechless SMH, I dont even know where to begin with this statement.. this is what Fundamentalism does to you!!!
you want a picture of it?,here it is

Twist, twist, twist..........

But not in the least surprised.....

• Members

First, I apologize to the moderators and Bro. Matt for what I'm about to say, but it needs to be said.

I don't mean to be argumentative, hurtful, or spiteful...though that's prOBably how this will come across.

I don't know Jeffrey's motives for being here, but I do know this...

His proclamations of just wanting to follow Jesus and just talk about Jesus and the gospel, because that's what it's all about and everything centers on that...is a bunch of malarkey.

He will dish out as much venom as he claims to abhor from "the IFBs" here. He'll dish it out, and then play the victim with his "I just want to follow Jesus and talk about the gospel" routine.

If he truly wanted to follow the Lord, his OBvious rebellion toward this site would cease.  If he truly wanted to follow the Lord, his rebellion would have never happened. One doesn't have to agree with everything here, but one who wants to please the Lord would show respect to the site.

His Signature, his "Resident Liberal" proclamation above his avatar, and his avatar picture of John Calvin shows his OBvious rebellion toward this site and his unwillingness to show respect...or...the humility of one who is truly seeking to "live for the Lord".

I've given him resources to check his beliefs, others have given him resources to check his beliefs, yet he continues on because he doesn't want to check his beliefs.

That's fine...we are free moral agents...he can be as rebellious as he wants and blame it on the IFB.

Jeffrey isn't fooling me with his "let's just talk about Jesus" malarkey, and I would say that he's fooling himself...but he knows exactly what he's doing. 

Now, if I deserve to be banned or given a warning for saying all of this...I understand and won't harbor any ill-will if that happens.

• Moderators

Jeffrey:

I assume you realize that "conversation" in the Bible is more than just verbal discourse but involves the way you live. 1Pe 1:15  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;  shows there is such as thing as holiness in what a person does (in contrast it must necessitate the reciprocal also exist -- unholy behavior).

2Pe 3:11  Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 
is couched in the context of the brevity and vanity of this present world and shows the imperative necessity of LIVING in a holy manner.

These verses CANNOT be fulfilled in someone's life if they are violating Php 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

Phil 4:8 becomes a self-sabotaged battle when we intentionally allow things contrary to sound doctrine and holy living to be placed in our lives (and that of our family).

These above verses are "standards" set forth by God Himself. "Standards" alone do not automatically constitute "legalism" (as the term is so commonly mislabeled.
 For that matter -- Mt 5:27-28 the Pharisees dealt with the letter of the commandment and condemned the act of the body but the Lord dealt with the spirit of the commandment and condemned the thought. Which was the more restrictive and stringent (as "legalist" is generally misapplied today)? The Lord was! Why? Because Luk 6:45  A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.(emphasis mine)

Too many times people balk at the symptom being pointed out and CLAIM they would rather have the cause addressed but when the cause is exposed they claim, "you can't know what's in the heart" yet sometimes you can. Example, most everyone will tell you that no one knows if someone is covetous, 1Ti_3:3  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 
and  1Co_5:11  But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.  tell us otherwise. Else how can you take the appropriate action in each case (it also involves judging them).

I've NEVER known anyone to be refused a pastorate or be subject to the command of I Cor 5:7 due to a man being covetous, not as a Southern Baptist (I left the Convention in 1976 while the Seminaries were teaching Gen chpt 1-11 were not literal) or as an Independent Baptist ('76-present).

We get it as to how you feel about the Bible version issue (I'll refrain from asking about the Russian Synodal or the Spanish RVR, RV, RVG issues), IFB's, Soverign Grace, CCM, etc.

Though not here, I prOBably preach harder on IFB prOBlems in my church (and others) than most (I dare say 90%) of the folks on this site. However, I suggest (strongly, very strongly, extremely strongly) that you back off the "that's why I left, that's the prOBlem with IFB", blah, blah

• Members

hear hear Gentlemen and Ladies, amen and amen!

Living with standards is when I do something I shouldn't or use a tone I shouldn't and that little voice inside grows louder and louder until I take a knee and repent. Its turning my head away from a young woman dressed lewdly because I want that closeness to Jesus. I've given up many things my flesh enjoyed because I'd rather be close to Jesus than anything.  I love Jesus, I want to keep his commandments. 

Archived