• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Members

Do they have computer classes, advance math, typing. Drama and acting classes. How do they perform in front of others. I am not against home schooling, but I am against isolation.

Many communities have homeschool co-ops, where they can take advanced math classes, acting, music, drama, etc...in addition to any other kind of classes. Our daughter took French at one of these co-ops. I think it was $50 a month (per class) when she went a couple of years ago. I know of several families (who could afford it) who sent their children there for all of their classes...so they were basically in a Christian school all day, but it was for homeschoolers. 

TGL, a child would only be isolated if the parents allowed it to happen.

As for me...I would take an introvert for a child any day over exposing my child to such open sin; thereby, hardening their heart to sin to where sin becomes more acceptable...instead of sin being exceeding sinful.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been home schooled and public schooled, and I taught in a couple of Christian schools. Of the three if I ever have children, they would be home schooled if at all possible.

When I was being home schooled we followed the schedule of a private school for the hours, holidays, vacation days, etc. An average day was from 8:30-3:30 with proper scheduling of subjects, recess, and lunch times. And yes, we had home work - such as book reports and any work we failed to finish during the time allotted for the subject. We also had PE at a local school track or the local park. We learned tennis as our sport. I dabbled in badminton, but wasn't good at it. If one of us kids expressed an interest in a certain sport or activity, my parents encouraged us in it and bought the proper equipment for it.

A parent who decides to home school their children will be responsible for their child's education and socialization. If you want your child to learn computers, buy one (if you haven't already), get a text book appropriate to the child's grade, and teach them the computer skills you believe they need to succeed.

If you want her to be socialized, then get her involved in youth activities and sports (she does not have to be in either Christian or public schools to be involved in sports or misc activities), encourage her to invite friends over to your house from church or the youth activities. 

For music, ask what instrument she enjoys and hire a private tutor to teach her. The one-on-one lessons will benefit her greatly, and if she wants to be involved in an orchestra, the music teacher should be able to point you in the right direction. 

She will only be isolated if you isolate her. 

Home schooling is not something that should be considered lightly. It takes a huge amount of prayer, preparation, planning, time, effort, money, etc... It should not be put together haphazardly or jumped into because of pressure from other Christians. If you honestly don't believe you are capable of teaching your child yourself, then look at other options. Public school shouldn't be the go-to first choice.  There are home school groups you can look into, then look into Christian schools, private schools, and as a last consideration, public school. 

All that said, I do not believe a Christian putting their child into public school is the mark of bad parenting. And I don't believe my time in a public school 'damaged' me spiritually. I can, however, say that I do not have any good, lasting friendships from that school. I was involved in one activity, choir, and I can tell you the conversations I heard/was involved in on the bus to and from competitions was an education I doubt my parents wanted me to have. 

• Members

I know around here, home schoolers get a certain amount of money to put toward extra activities, I know one youngster in our church who is taking horse riding lessons and using that money towards it.

While im no where near having kids, home schooling is definitely my preferred choice.

• Members
Since TGL mentioned behaviour in his OP, I thought it worth pointing out to any who have in the past defended TGL's seeming inability to answer simple questions and discuss things in a mature manner by saying it's only 'cos English isn't his first language: take a look at this thread. TGL can speak very clearly and sensibly when he wants to. When he doesn't, which is most of the time, it's because he's doing it on purpose.

The fact that he happily gives others the runaround whenever they ask him anything but then in this thread begins firing off questions to Happy Christian with the expectation of serious answers speaks to TGL's sense of entitlement, i.m.o.

• Members

Wow! Amongst believers there is someone who acts like my mother.
She was all worried about 'social' activities, like 'experiencing sin so they can survive in the world'.

Where is that in the Bible?

What part of 'come out from among them, sayeth the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing' don't you get?

Don't forget to clean your ears, and cut your finger nails... :) Mom

They need to grow and see the truth my friends, around them. You are not protecting the kids, keeping them in the home all the time, but making them weaker to reality.

• Members

Since TGL mentioned behaviour in his OP, I thought it worth pointing out to any who have in the past defended TGL's seeming inability to answer simple questions and discuss things in a mature manner by saying it's only 'cos English isn't his first language: take a look at this thread. TGL can speak very clearly and sensibly when he wants to. When he doesn't, which is most of the time, it's because he's doing it on purpose.

The fact that he happily gives others the runaround whenever they ask him anything but then in this thread begins firing off questions to Happy Christian with the expectation of serious answers speaks to TGL's sense of entitlement, i.m.o.

Are you a lawyer? What would you like me to answer for you? My spell check is working better today.

• Members

I don't think any answer is wrong here. I believe the onus of teaching squarely falls on the parents. IT's our responsibility to teach our children "in the way", (Deut 6). We show our children through examples they experience during the day, when we are together at night, I am purposefully asking them how their day was, what happened, what they learned at school, just so I can listen to them and find something that we can talk about that they can learn from. If you look around and are watching, you can find examples in everyday life to use as illustrations to teach your kids about God and tie that to the Gospel. Even if we are watching tv and something comes on that is sinful,(nothing too graphic of course), but I will occasionally pause our DVR and ask them what they saw. was it good or sinful? what does the Bible say about this? there is so much out there to prepare your kids for the world.

BTW, we have our kids in public schools. we purposefully bought our house in this particular school district that  is one of the top in the state. IF we are dillegent about our children at home, I believe God will protect them, He protected Shadrach Meschah and Abednego, didn't He? (Daniel 1)

• Members

They need to grow and see the truth my friends, around them. You are not protecting the kids, keeping them in the home all the time, but making them weaker to reality.

As has been stated earlier, most all churches have youth groups. There are Homeschooling Support Groups in most every community, and there are an endless number of area sports organizations that our children can get involved in. As a Christian, there is even a broader scope of opportunities through missionary and evangelistic efforts.

Our church was built debt free by our own members. Children ages eight and up were involved in the entire process. We have pictures of the original footer being dug where the trenches were filled with nothing but kids. They assisted in everything from laying the foundation to putting on the roof and everything in between.

We have a group called the CHOICE Kids Club that works with inner city and suburban youth in and out of schools. This club is run and staffed by teenagers and young adults.

Our church regularly goes (with our children) to the streets of the local cities to bring the Gospel to the lost at many of the festivals and events held there. Trust me; our kids see all kinds of your precious “reality” on these trips. We have also gone to events in other cities as well: Beale Street in Memphis for one. We have also had many children take missionary trips to places like Mozambique, Honduras, Trinidad, Papua, New Guinea, and the Ukraine.

Individually we get our children involved as well. Both my sons were/are involved in Soccer, and Baseball from the time they were 5, and I participated as either coach or assistant coach. My oldest was in the Sea Cadets for 3 years where I also participated as a uniformed instructor. As stated previously my daughter has been very active with inner city youth, and she also enjoys singing in various choirs and groups.

I have a BIL that has been a crack addict for the past 20 years. Since my kids have known him he has been in and out of prison, rehabs and halfway houses. We have, with our children been very active in not only supporting him, but working with the other addicts in these places as well. Our children have seen and been an active part of their successes, and have also been very much hurt by their failures…, especially their uncle’s.

I preach at a nursing home every month and they all jump right in and bring a little joy to those folk’s lives. My youngest boy has also gone to various nursing homes with our church's children’s choir to minister there.

How many of your precious public schools have opportunities like these? I believe my children have prOBably seen more of your precious "reality" than most public schooled children, but with one difference. My children have seen first hand the negative costs of your precious "reality". They aren't only instructed in the instant gratification of today's reality.

You seem to make the common error many non-homeschoolers like to make. You think that homeschoolers never get out of their own home. Nothing could be further from the truth, but there is a key difference between the socialization our kids get from the socialization public school kids get. When my children are socializing, one or both of their parents are right there so they know that someone with their absolute best interests at heart is available to them and guiding them. In a public school they are led by people with their own agenda (or mandated to follow a specific agenda), where your child is just another of the countless children that have already passed through their doors.

Once again, I have two children left. The Public School System isn’t even close to an option. 

• Members

I don't think any answer is wrong here. I believe the onus of teaching squarely falls on the parents. IT's our responsibility to teach our children "in the way", (Deut 6). We show our children through examples they experience during the day, when we are together at night, I am purposefully asking them how their day was, what happened, what they learned at school, just so I can listen to them and find something that we can talk about that they can learn from. If you look around and are watching, you can find examples in everyday life to use as illustrations to teach your kids about God and tie that to the Gospel. Even if we are watching tv and something comes on that is sinful,(nothing too graphic of course), but I will occasionally pause our DVR and ask them what they saw. was it good or sinful? what does the Bible say about this? there is so much out there to prepare your kids for the world.
BTW, we have our kids in public schools. we purposefully bought our house in this particular school district that is one of the top in the state. IF we are dillegent about our children at home, I believe God will protect them, He protected Shadrach Meschah and Abednego, didn't He? (Daniel 1)

I agree with your post.

• Members

As has been stated earlier, most all churches have youth groups. There are Homeschooling Support Groups in most every community, and there are an endless number of area sports organizations that our children can get involved in. As a Christian, there is even a broader scope of opportunities through missionary and evangelistic efforts.

Our church was built debt free by our own members. Children ages eight and up were involved in the entire process. We have pictures of the original footer being dug where the trenches were filled with nothing but kids. They assisted in everything from laying the foundation to putting on the roof and everything in between.

We have a group called the CHOICE Kids Club that works with inner city and suburban youth in and out of schools. This club is run and staffed by teenagers and young adults.

Our church regularly goes (with our children) to the streets of the local cities to bring the Gospel to the lost at many of the festivals and events held there. Trust me; our kids see all kinds of your precious “reality” on these trips. We have also gone to events in other cities as well: Beale Street in Memphis for one. We have also had many children take missionary trips to places like Mozambique, Honduras, Trinidad, Papua, New Guinea, and the Ukraine.

Individually we get our children involved as well. Both my sons were/are involved in Soccer, and Baseball from the time they were 5, and I participated as either coach or assistant coach. My oldest was in the Sea Cadets for 3 years where I also participated as a uniformed instructor. As stated previously my daughter has been very active with inner city youth, and she also enjoys singing in various choirs and groups.

I have a BIL that has been a crack addict for the past 20 years. Since my kids have known him he has been in and out of prison, rehabs and halfway houses. We have, with our children been very active in not only supporting him, but working with the other addicts in these places as well. Our children have seen and been an active part of their successes, and have also been very much hurt by their failures…, especially their uncle’s.

I preach at a nursing home every month and they all jump right in and bring a little joy to those folk’s lives. My youngest boy has also gone to various nursing homes with our church's children’s choir to minister there.

How many of your precious public schools have opportunities like these? I believe my children have prOBably seen more of your precious "reality" than most public schooled children, but with one difference. My children have seen first hand the negative costs of your precious "reality". They aren't only instructed in the instant gratification of today's reality.

You seem to make the common error many non-homeschoolers like to make. You think that homeschoolers never get out of their own home. Nothing could be further from the truth, but there is a key difference between the socialization our kids get from the socialization public school kids get. When my children are socializing, one or both of their parents are right there so they know that someone with their absolute best interests at heart is available to them and guiding them. In a public school they are led by people with their own agenda (or mandated to follow a specific agenda), where your child is just another of the countless children that have already passed through their doors.

Once again, I have two children left. The Public School System isn’t even close to an option.

No prOBlem, My kids attended independently Baptist schools for over 10 years. Christians schools are good if you can afford them. Or get a grant is nice. Home schooling? We are not all smart enough, or strick enough to do it.

• Members

If I was saved at a younger age, I would have chosen homeschooling for my son.  He even begged me to home school him at one point.  It broke my heart.  I had to work or we wouldn't have been able to survive.  I was a single mom, from the time my son was 2 until he was in the forth grade.  He attended Montessori School, from Pre-K to 2nd grade.  His dad paid the tuition, and I paid for day care costs.  Thankfully, mom my was able to watch him once a week, then my MIL, when my mom became feeble.  Even in a good public school system, like the one my son attended and the one that his dad, me and my husband attended, is still questionable.  It is government run.  That alone is a red flag.

I just had this conversation with one of my husband's brothers and his wife on Father's Day.  I told them that the whole public school system is in the toilet (yes, even in model schools, or Blue Ribbon schools as they are sometimes called.)  Their son is 2 1/2.  A sister in Christ, at my church, began to home school her children b/c the school system had a teacher that taught her daughter about Islam one year.  Yeah, that is the big thing in the public school system where I taught.  Anyway, my brother and SIL live in that suburb.  I told them the best education is homeschooling.  Sadly, since this BIL is backsliden and his wife is a Roman Catholic (non practicing, unless she is pressured by family - then she goes to Mass) their son will most likely go to Parochial school.

As was said above, there are so many groups that home schooled children can attend so that they are not isolated from other children.

Maybe, someone can tell TGL about the various home schooling options that are out there.  I know of Abeka, ACE, and Hooked on School House.    

• Members

We are not all smart enough, or strick enough to do it.

Maybe, someone can tell TGL about the various home schooling options that are out there.  I know of Abeka, ACE, and Hooked on School House.    

I have only taken a handful of college courses in my life and have nothing close to a degree of any type. My wife has absolutely no college. There are a myriad of Homeschooling options out there that will fit just about any situation. We went with ABEKA for the most part. Up to 8th grade we simply got the regular curriculum and teacher materials and my wife taught most of it with me filling in on some of the math and sciences. Once we got to High school we transitioned to their DVD program where it is essentially like they are sitting in a classroom being taught directly by a teacher. This was necessary to cover the more complex subjects in which my wife and I are limited.

Judged by their post high school performance I would have to say this approach was very successful.

• Moderators

No prOBlem, My kids attended independently Baptist schools for over 10 years. Christians schools are good if you can afford them. Or get a grant is nice. Home schooling? We are not all smart enough, or strick enough to do it.

My mom never finished high school - cut out early to go for her Practical Nursing. She says she was learning right along with us for a lot of our homeschool years. That's why they have textbooks. :wink  Most of my high school I basically did on my own - even checking my own answers. There's nothing quite as satisfying as having a math prOBlem that's 'incorrect' and not knowing why - and being finally able to prove that the answer key was wrong!  :clapping: 

My brother took algebra/physics (I didn't have to - yay!!:D). Mom wasn't up to helping him with those, so he worked with an excellent local tutor. Nowadays, there's a lot of help you can arrange online as well.

I worked with a local homeschool 'board' for a few years, and discovered that there are some people who really shouldn't be teaching their own kids - because they're not teaching them, just trying to beat the system. Unless you just arrived from the backwoods of Borneo (maybe not even then), there's no reason a parent can't teach their own kids.

Archived