• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Members

She was shock to see two girls kissing. I told her, now you will see the true public schools and the lost at work. Practice now what you have learned in the Christian schools and home, for the US is now turning from God. For what is bad now is good, and the good for them is bad. Find the right friends, for when you attend college you will do well and not be shocked of what is going on around you, for we are living in trouble time. Thanks you for sharing this with me, I told her, you will be much smarter than me. :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mayhap you ought to pull her out of that miniature sodom and homeschool her. She will be stronger, then, when she goes anywhere...

School these days are much higher tech, higher then what we can handle, add to that music, sports, and learning to work and live with strangers is very important. Home schoolers are just taking it to easy. Starting the day late, and ending early is not good at all.

• Members

Meh - you OBviously don't know what you're talking about re: homeschool.

Can you tell me what is a normal home school day, is like? Starting with the time they are actually reading or doing there work. I forgot do they have home work?

• Administrators

Homeschool varies from home to home.  In ours, school started at 8:30 and got done by lunchtime.  And then in the afternoon, he did homework.  You say that isn't enough time? Well, if I had taught him til 3:30, he would have been in college by 10 years of age.  As it is, he has scored extremely high on all testing he's ever done.

The thing you OBviously don't understand about homeschooling is that learning doesn't just take place while in a sitting position listening to a teacher. There's a lot more to it.  Reading - of which we did a lot - for starters. And that is why my first grader spelled better than most high school graduates, etc. Time spent with Mom and Dad - talking, instructing (in things other than scholastic), working. And the list goes on.

Yep, there are "homeschoolers" that use that as an excuse to be lazy.  But, then, there are teachers in every academic setting that are lazy, so don't broad brush homeschoolers.  

I taught school and I homeschooled my son (and there were a few others there also being taught). And I guarantee the learning curve in homeschooling is much higher than in a classroom situation.

• Administrators

Homeschooling is not isolation.  Parents have a lot of options to get their kids out and about.  People used to comment about what a people person our son was. Well, while we were homeschooling. Once he went to school he became quite an introvert (for reasons which I'm not going into).

There are homeschool support organizations where kids can get all kinds of extra stuff. But some of that isn't necessary. Drama/acting?  My son didn't need it at all. Believe me.  (who really needs to learn how to act - we are all sinners and lying comes naturally...why teach someone how to do it?).

Advanced math?  Of course - homschoolers can get into a lot more than in a traditional classroom because of time. When one homeschools, subjects are learned without having to wait for all the other kids to catch up and/or be on the same page.

Computer skills?  Most families have computers, so that (and typing) is something most kids get anyway.  Computers were not much in vogue in our son's school when he was growing up.  But guess what? He's pretty intelligent and he was able to master the computer - so much so that that is what he did in the Guard (and that's all the detail on that one I can share!).

Perform in front of others?  We shouldn't teach our children to perform. If you are meaning how they behave, I've never met a misbehaving homeschooled child (don't take that to mean they aren't sinners...).  Spending time with parents teaches children how to be good conversationalists with all ages, and they don't become peer dependent.  

• Members

Take your daughter to church and have her involved with the youth group...that will give her all the social interaction she needs. When she reaches the appropriate age she can accompany the youth group on outreach ministries and she'll get all the knowledge of the world and the worldly she will require to understand their lost condition.

• Members

I kept mine heavily involved in the church youth group and to "expose them to the world" I had them volunteer at the homeless mission, nursing homes, the hospital, and children reading at the public library.  They also were involved in the secular youth orchestra, so they got a dose of the realities of this world there as well.  Just enough of a dose to make them realize just how light a load Jesus has for us Christians, because they could see what the very heavy load of sin does to the lost.   My son scored 1910 on the SAT, my daughter 2000, so homeschooling prepared them well. Teaching It also kept me sharp, which has enabled me to be successful in now my Junior year of college at the age of 57.  I am carrying a 3.63 g.p.a. 

Bro. Garry

• Moderators

Do they have computer classes, advance math, typing. Drama and acting classes. How do they perform in front of others. I am not against home schooling, but I am against isolation.

Computer = home computer. If you have one, your daughter is prOBably already better on it than you are. Kids pick up technology like breathing. :)
Advanced math = just buy the textbook. You can find local and online tutors if your girl needs help.
Typing = Mavis Beacon; Typing Instructor Deluxe (my favorite). Don't need a class to sit in front of a computer and practice!
Drama/acting = lots of towns have acting groups, some areas have homeschool drama groups too.
Behavior = homeschool kids are generally better behaved than public school kids, and are better at working with all age groups - not just their peers.

I remember when I was a teen, there was a lady teacher that questioned my mother because she was concerned about our "lack of socialization". :rolleyes: Even 15 years ago, that was a losing argument. Homeschoolers are not isolated (unless you want to be). Homeschool groups, church groups, community groups (choirs, Toastmasters, Scouts, Air Cadets, museum volunteering, music lessons, etc., etc.), lots of time for having friends over (I remember doing my school in the middle of the night while having sleepovers so we could have the whole next day to play!) - seriously, the idea that homeschoolers are isolated is a total myth! 

• Members

We homeschool our children and they have really suffered.

My oldest joined the Navy at 17. He scored a 91/99 on the ASVAB, finished 2nd out of 582 in Boot Camp, 1st in his Information System Technician “A” school (earning a meritorious promotion to E-4). When at his sea command was allowed to take the E-5 exam one cycle early because of his work ethic and conduct. He scored in the 95th percentile and was promoted to Petty Officer 2nd Class in under two years of Naval service. That is above extraordinary.  He also earned his Enlisted Surface Warfare and Air Warfare pins as well as a Navy Achievement Medal. Following the Navy he went to college for a Chemistry Degree, one of the toughest degrees available. He has just completed his second year with all straight “A”s with the exception of an “A-“ in Organic Chemistry 2, and has been on the Dean’s List all semesters. Not bad for someone only 23 years old.

My daughter has worked with inner city youth since she was 16 (you know, the ones that get all that good public school education and socialization). After High School she did two years missionary work at inner city schools in Oklahoma City. She is now headed to PCC for an English Degree. I see great things for her future.

I am completely content that my children were not direct participants of the garbage I see coming out of the Public School System. With the type of socialization they would have gotten there I do not believe they would be nearly as successful as they are now…, neither do they. My son did not like being home-schooled at all. When he was allowed to make his first call home from boot camp he said in tears, Mom & Dad, I am so glad you did what you did. He saw firsthand on a very large and personal basis what the world and public education wrought in the lives of all his Navy peers and the truth hit home.

I have two children left. The Public School System isn’t even close to an option.

• Members

Do they have computer classes, advance math, typing. Drama and acting classes. How do they perform in front of others. I am not against home schooling, but I am against isolation.

Wow! Amongst believers there is someone who acts like my mother.

She was all worried about 'social' activities, like 'experiencing sin so they can survive in the world'.

Where is that in the Bible?

What part of 'come out from among them, sayeth the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing' don't you get?

Archived