• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Pastor Needs Prayer

John81

• Members

A pastor who is also a friend of mine has been facing very difficult times since January. His wife totally out of the blue announced to him that she didn't feel any love for him anymore and wanted time apart. Naturally, coming out of the blue like that was a great shock. He tried, of course, talking with her but she was determined that since a friend of hers was going on a long vacation she was going to go house sit for her. She came back to his church each Sunday and they continued to have their traditional Sunday meal together with their grown children and their grandchildren. This pastor attempted discussion and reconciliation and called upon his closest friends to join with him in prayer.

Now his wife dropped a major bombshell by telling him she's having a "relationship" (affair, being an adultress and contributing to adultery) with a married man at the place of business she works in and she's filing for divorce.

This pastor, as well as his children and the rest of the family are in shock, deep anguish, distraught, and feeling helpless in the midst of these revelations that none would have every thought possible.

Please lift this pastor up in your prayers and also pray for his family. I really hate to see him going through such a thing. This pastor is one of the most Christlike men I've ever known. He raised his children well and they are all saved and serving the Lord and have married saved, God-serving spouses. I've never known a man who treated his wife any better than he did. Never in all the years we've been friends have I heard him say a negative word about his wife.

Please take time to pray; thank you.

• Members

Absolutely, I will keep this man in prayer, John.

A couple of years ago, a wonderful IFB pastor's wife, cheated on him (and no, TGL it wasn't with a woman  ;)).  He stepped down from the pulpit b/c of this.  It is so disheartening to hear situations like this.  *sigh*

• Members

Praying.

I really hate Satan.  Expect the attacks on the leaders of churches to increase exponentially in the coming years.  Satan knows his time is short.  He will attack the pastor first, if that fails he goes after the wife, and then the kids.  In this case it appears Satan got the victory through the wife.

Bro. Garry

• Members

Too many good preachers neglect the home life in favor of the ministry. (Not saying that's the case here brother John.) But I do know a few pastors that their wives have ruined their ministry. Most cases it is a lack of relationship between husband and wife.

Praying for all our IFB pastors preaching the word especially for the one mentioned here.

Pastors....don't put your church before your family. Remember, you need them to be qualified to pastor.

• Members

Yes, this is true Paid4; however, I agree with Brother Garry.  Satan is the prOBlem and he is destroying families day in and day out.  Why should a pastor's family be any different?

I agree whole heartedly. I believe that the pastors may even get more attention from Satan than we'll ever realize. EVERYTHING in society hangs on the family.

The father, mother, and the children are essential to the infrastructure of the world!! It is, after all, what started it all in the beginning.

• Moderators

Praying.

My thought, should he step down? That should be between himself, the Lord and the church. Should the church punish him for his wife's unfaithfulness?

Too often I hear of things like this and the church fires him, and insists that, even though the wife left and was unfaithful, well, it MUST have been his fault, because it happened. Though if he feels its right, again it should be between his church and the Lord and himself to decide.  

• Members

May the Lord Jesus uphold him at this dreadful time, & give him peace. Betrayal by our loved ones must be about the worst experience we can suffer. May those around him, including church officers maintain their trust in him & speak up for him & to him.

One of my sons has been abandoned twice by a supposedly Christian wife. The first the daughter of a church elder of a charismatic church.  Someone had prophesied she would marry her next boyfriend before she was 20. The prophet omitted to say she would be unmarried before she was 21. She left him to sleep with one of his friends.

Several years later he married the daughter of a Methodist Pastor (who had died in his 40s from a brain hemorhage. They have two lovely children, now 8 & 5, he is a good provider & did a lot of work on the house, but she suddenly decided after 10 years of apparently happy marriage that she wanted a divorce, with no remotely valid reason. The divorce court judge rejected the arguments claiming propery rights & divided everything. That enabled him to buy a house for himself. We stay with him when necessary to look after the children when his wife doesn't want them in holidays & he has to work. He is a Christian in a charismatic church.

It's an increasing prOBlem it seems. Several couples in our small church are in trouble.

• Members

May the Lord Jesus uphold him at this dreadful time, & give him peace. Betrayal by our loved ones must be about the worst experience we can suffer. May those around him, including church officers maintain their trust in him & speak up for him & to him.

One of my sons has been abandoned twice by a supposedly Christian wife. The first the daughter of a church elder of a charismatic church.  Someone had prophesied she would marry her next boyfriend before she was 20. The prophet omitted to say she would be unmarried before she was 21. She left him to sleep with one of his friends.

Several years later he married the daughter of a Methodist Pastor (who had died in his 40s from a brain hemorhage. They have two lovely children, now 8 & 5, he is a good provider & did a lot of work on the house, but she suddenly decided after 10 years of apparently happy marriage that she wanted a divorce, with no remotely valid reason. The divorce court judge rejected the arguments claiming propery rights & divided everything. That enabled him to buy a house for himself. We stay with him when necessary to look after the children when his wife doesn't want them in holidays & he has to work. He is a Christian in a charismatic church.

It's an increasing prOBlem it seems. Several couples in our small church are in trouble.

Aaaw, Ian.  I will keep you son and this whole situation in prayer, as well.

Archived