• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Breakfast

• Members

Not sure if you all have Walgreens or CVS stores near you .Those stores have milk on sale a lot .CVS has milk 2.99 and Walgreens on sale usually has it for 2.89 .
Kroger also has a sale 5 half gallons for 7 .

I also on my coupon forum have seen that there are coupons sometimes for free milk with a purchase.

There are usually coupons also out for soy milk.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Cereal is not expensive. I get great deals on cereal.

MILK is expensive. It is close to $4.00 a gallon here and if I let everyone have milk and cereal, milk with lunch, etc. we will go through a gallon a day. No joke.

OHOOOO! That is where we save I guess...... I only have 2 that can have milk and they only have it on thier cereal. If I even buy a gal. every 2 wks, thats alot. I buy soy milk by the case at costco about once a month for the others.

• Members
Around here powedered milk is just about as expensive as regular. :sad I've used it plenty of times in other locations but here' date=' it isn't worth it.[/quote']

I use it as an emergency, because it last longer.. it is great for people who are not milk drinker .like my MIL.. she HATES milk (loves buttermilk).. If she brought milk, it would gone bad. If she brought powder milk, she could use it whenever she need it for cooking.

• Members

We usually do not have breakfast except when we are on holiday or have visitors. We have coffee, with (you've guessed it) milk. We buy semi skimmed pasteurized milk from our local Tesco store. We buy 4 (English) pints two or three time a week. 4 pints is 80 fl oz whereas 4 US pints is 64 fl oz. We also buy 2 pts for our church where we do teas and coffees after the morning service. Tesco do a Local Choice milk which is bought from farmers in the region which we try to buy, so we can support local farmers, but they don't always have it in the size we need or in semi skimmed. Local Choice is usually up to about 10p dearer, but very often it is on offer and is less expensive.

Types of milk.

Pasteurised, Whole milk, semi skimmed and skimmed.
Filtered, lasts longer than Pasteurized but is more expensive.
UHT. (Utterly horrible taste) Long life milk, not very nice, widely used on the continent.
Dried, Yuk,
Sterilized even more yuk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought up a little something different for breakfast a couple of days ago. I made half a batch of cornbread batter and stirred mexican style shredded cheese into it and made pancakes. I put syrup on them and they were really good. It made 4 good-sized pancakes. I ate two and froze the other two for another day. CJP56.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]Personally, I'd rather skip breakfast most of the time but that really isn't healthy. I'm trying to wean my kids from wanting dry cereal and milk every morning. They inherited a love of cereal from their dad! He told me when we were married that he didn't want me to cook breakfast in the morning because he would rather have cereal. We reserve hot breakfasts like eggs, bacon and pancakes for a weeknight meal.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to make a list of breakfast ideas that are reasonably healthy (donuts are not healthy :saint ) to serve to the kids. I've gotten their input as well as to the things they like. We have alternate breakfasts a couple of times a week but I would like to make it more often.

Muffins
Toast
Eggs, etc.
Biscuits/sausage biscuits (my son loves these!)
French toast
Pancakes/waffles
Banana bread
Oatmeal

Milk, O.J. fruit on the side

[color=#000080][size=150][b]What else? [/b][/size][/color] They wouldn't eat anything like a breakfast casserole or a quiche. Grits are out too. I haven't tried Cream of Wheat on them.[/quote]

Hhehehehehehe, I should bring you and Garland and your kids to Shady Maple or Hershey Farms Restaurant for Breakfast. :hungry: :drool:

We have all of those things you mentioned plus:::::::::

Shoofly pie and all manner of other pastries and desserts.

Scrapple

Cornmeal mush

Fried 'taters

Many different combinations of egg casseroles

Pudding (not to be confused with milk-based puddings. This dish is made from pork scraps during butchering).

Hog Maw (actually this is a potato-cabbage-sausage casserole using a pig stomach as wrapper)

...and many other Penn-Dutchie things too numerous to mention.

• Members

I see and hear about the high cost of store-boughten milk these days and groan that you all cannot share the joys and benefits that we have in Lancaster County. :sad We get farm-fresh milk for $2.50 per gallon. It is rich, healthy and flavorful. I never realized that store-bought milk had an off-taste until we began getting raw milk straight from the farm.

• Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]

Hhehehehehehe, I should bring you and Garland and your kids to Shady Maple or Hershey Farms Restaurant for Breakfast. :hungry: :drool:

We have all of those things you mentioned plus:::::::::

Shoofly pie and all manner of other pastries and desserts.

Scrapple

Cornmeal mush

Fried 'taters

Many different combinations of egg casseroles

Pudding (not to be confused with milk-based puddings. This dish is made from pork scraps during butchering).

Hog Maw (actually this is a potato-cabbage-sausage casserole using a pig stomach as wrapper)

...and many other Penn-Dutchie things too numerous to mention.[/quote]

What, no livermush??? :Bleh

The stuff is nasty IMO but you might like it. That's a NC thang....

• Members
What, no livermush??? :Bleh

The stuff is nasty IMO but you might like it.

I wish we could get that up here in Penn-Dutch country. We have liverwurst (i.e. liver sausage, since "wurst" --->>> sausage) which I really like, but not livermush.

Liverwurst is loaded with bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides, though. :sad