• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Breakfast

Personally, I'd rather skip breakfast most of the time but that really isn't healthy. I'm trying to wean my kids from wanting dry cereal and milk every morning. They inherited a love of cereal from their dad! He told me when we were married that he didn't want me to cook breakfast in the morning because he would rather have cereal. We reserve hot breakfasts like eggs, bacon and pancakes for a weeknight meal.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to make a list of breakfast ideas that are reasonably healthy (donuts are not healthy :saint ) to serve to the kids. I've gotten their input as well as to the things they like. We have alternate breakfasts a couple of times a week but I would like to make it more often.

Muffins
Toast
Eggs, etc.
Biscuits/sausage biscuits (my son loves these!)
French toast
Pancakes/waffles
Banana bread
Oatmeal

Milk, O.J. fruit on the side

What else? They wouldn't eat anything like a breakfast casserole or a quiche. Grits are out too. I haven't tried Cream of Wheat on them.

This is so funny! I was actually thinking the same thing. I am NOT a breakfast person, but I was raised on a good solid breakfast. Go figure? Well...hubby and my son are...so, the above menu is what I cook (aside from the oatmeal.) They don't like it...but, I do. LOL. My son loves my homemade French toast, and hubby loves pancakes (sorry Bisquick...and sausage links.)

I prefer the cereal...but, again they don't. :lol:

More to add to the list:

Yogurt
fruits (sliced)
Bananas
bacon
homemade egg muffins w/sausage and/or bacon
wheat germ on the cream of wheat

grape juice, grapefruit juice (again...me), cranberry juice, mixed juice.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the recipe! It was a big hit - my often picky daughter had thirds even!!! That's quite a big deal! She was very sick about 2 weeks ago and it has taken a long time for her appetite to return, and lately she hasn't wanted to eat much for supper although she would eat well during the other meals. This was the most I've seen her eat in the evening for over 2 weeks!

YPPIE!!!! I am glad she liked it!!!!

• Members
I've always been a "hot breakfast" kind of mom...until lately. I think I'm meeting you as you're "going" and I'm "coming." :wave: Recently' date=' I've been providing cold cereal for the kids in the morning, mainly because it is an easy "self serve" meal. My three oldest kids are capable of pouring both the cereal and milk for the younger ones. Since I've taken on a new job from home, in addition to my homeschooling and housekeeping duties, I don't always have time to make a hot breakfast (or even to serve a cold one :ooops ). But, since cereal is expensive, I still do oatmeal maybe once or twice a week, and eggs or omelettes maybe once a week. (Is that how you spell [i']omelettes? omlettes? omlets (nah). None of these look right--help!) When I do serve eggs, it takes a dozen to feed everyone...and they still ask for more, or need some toast to go with them. My oldest daughter can do scrambled eggs, but it really is easier to do cold cereal. We have pancakes or waffles maybe once or twice every few weeks.

Am I being selfish to expect my kids to get their own breakfast? I do feel guilty sometimes...

Cereal is not really expensive .
A month ago I signed up at Cheerio's for the healthy challenge .
They give you 1.00 off coupons quite often .
I saved up to get three of these coupons ,then Kmart had that cereal on sale for 1.88 for the large box .
I made Walmart price match and got them for .88 cents each box .
I also got internet 1.00 off coupons for Malt o meal cold cereal we went to Menards they had large boxes for 1.98 so after the dollar off I got them for .98 each box .
Kellogs recently had a big promotion .They had 1.00 off 2 boxes my store was having a sale at the same time .
I ended up getting quite a few boxes .Plus Kellogs is sending me 10 dollars back .

• Members
Cereal is not expensive. I get great deals on cereal.

MILK is expensive. It is close to $4.00 a gallon here and if I let everyone have milk and cereal, milk with lunch, etc. we will go through a gallon a day. No joke.

I have made powdered milk .You can even mix it with 2% to make it last longer.

• Members

Well I got frozen chicken .Its called fast fixin they have different kinds.The store had them for 4.99 a bag with a coupon it made it 3.99 for a lg bag a bit over a pound . This was pop corn chicken ,chicken breasts and other kinds.
In fact another store is having them on sale for 3.99 and 1.00 off makes it 2.99.