• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Breakfast

• Members

Personally, I'd rather skip breakfast most of the time but that really isn't healthy. I'm trying to wean my kids from wanting dry cereal and milk every morning. They inherited a love of cereal from their dad! He told me when we were married that he didn't want me to cook breakfast in the morning because he would rather have cereal. We reserve hot breakfasts like eggs, bacon and pancakes for a weeknight meal.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to make a list of breakfast ideas that are reasonably healthy (donuts are not healthy :saint ) to serve to the kids. I've gotten their input as well as to the things they like. We have alternate breakfasts a couple of times a week but I would like to make it more often.

Muffins
Toast
Eggs, etc.
Biscuits/sausage biscuits (my son loves these!)
French toast
Pancakes/waffles
Banana bread
Oatmeal

Milk, O.J. fruit on the side

What else? They wouldn't eat anything like a breakfast casserole or a quiche. Grits are out too. I haven't tried Cream of Wheat on them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just thinking this morning about how I need to do breakfast better for me and my daughter. She doesn't do well with milk on her cereal, so the past two mornings I've just given her plain cheerois with honey drizzled on them. I decided that maybe I should make some muffins today especially since I got some of those new muffin baking things that are flexible (can't remember what they're made of). The only problem is that we all love muffins, so they go really fast in our household!

I would like the recipe for the baked oatmeal.

• Members

I've always been a "hot breakfast" kind of mom...until lately. I think I'm meeting you as you're "going" and I'm "coming." :wave: Recently, I've been providing cold cereal for the kids in the morning, mainly because it is an easy "self serve" meal. My three oldest kids are capable of pouring both the cereal and milk for the younger ones. Since I've taken on a new job from home, in addition to my homeschooling and housekeeping duties, I don't always have time to make a hot breakfast (or even to serve a cold one :ooops ). But, since cereal is expensive, I still do oatmeal maybe once or twice a week, and eggs or omelettes maybe once a week. (Is that how you spell omelettes? omlettes? omlets (nah). None of these look right--help!) When I do serve eggs, it takes a dozen to feed everyone...and they still ask for more, or need some toast to go with them. My oldest daughter can do scrambled eggs, but it really is easier to do cold cereal. We have pancakes or waffles maybe once or twice every few weeks.

Am I being selfish to expect my kids to get their own breakfast? I do feel guilty sometimes...

• Members

"Eggs in a basket"...you know where you cut the hole out of the bread, butter both sides, and then cook the egg in the hole and the little disc seperately...so its like buttery "grilled" toast with a fried egg in the middle. We always left the center a bit soft to dip the little bread disc in.

• Members

Well, Annie, according to Google, it can be either omelet or omelette. I don't think you are being selfish. As children get older, they should be more responsible to help around the house.

oKJac, that recipe looks good. I'll have to try that. And Suzy, yum! I love eggs that are still a little soft in the middle. Nothing better than a once-over-medium egg with toast and bacon!!! :clap:

• Members

Am I being selfish to expect my kids to get their own breakfast? I do feel guilty sometimes..

:frog NO! :clap: Not only do kids need to learn responsiblity, they are learning to work together as a family. My kids get there own breakfast all the time. We do hot breakfast about 3x's a week and I will cook that, otherwise it is cereal. With cereal cleanup is easy and then we can get right to school. Cereal is not that expensive if you buy it at costco. We limit 2 bowls( one is cheerios and the other is there choice) and then if they are still hungry, they can have toast. This started when I was working outside of the home, and we have continued it even when I stopped. My 11yr old tried her hand at bisquik waffles the other day and really did a great job. :clap:

• Administrators

How about breakfast pizza? That can be made several ways. You can use regulation pizza makings or you can use traditional breakfast foods.

If you choose to use pizza makings, they can be thrown together that morning - using either tortillas or english muffins (stronger!) for the crust.

If you opt for tradtional bfast foods - scramble some eggs the night before. If the family likes peppers and onions, add that to the egg. Add sausage or bacon on top (you can get the ready to go type so it cuts down on cooking time). Sprinkle cheese on and bake - using an english muffin for the crust.

That, along with a dish of apple sauce (or other fruit, if apple sauce is not a fave) is a satisfying, healthy meal. And one the kids can help prepare the night before, and put together themselves that next morning. Extra hearty eaters could use 1 and 1/2 muffins and be satisfied.

I think it's a good idea for kids to help with things like b'fast - whether mom works outside the home or not. It creates a sense of unity in the home, and it teaches some good lessons. Everyone should know how to put a meal together (even if it is cold cereal and toast!).

• Members

Well, I just took it out of the oven for supper - smells good!

Thanks for the recipe! It was a big hit - my often picky daughter had thirds even!!! That's quite a big deal! She was very sick about 2 weeks ago and it has taken a long time for her appetite to return, and lately she hasn't wanted to eat much for supper although she would eat well during the other meals. This was the most I've seen her eat in the evening for over 2 weeks!