• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussions & "debates" In Which I Would Like To Engage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No.  BroMatt will state the rules and structure.  :icon_smile:

Okay.  I agree with EK.  I think this should be reserved to "pastor's only" and yes, SFIC - you are still a pastor.  My first pastor is an evangelist now, but I still call him Pastor ________.

After the discussion is finished, will BroMatt and the mods open it up for others to view?

• Administrators

Okay.  I agree with EK.  I think this should be reserved to "pastor's only" and yes, SFIC - you are still a pastor.  My first pastor is an evangelist now, but I still call him Pastor ________.

After the discussion is finished, will BroMatt and the mods open it up for others to view?

Ah, well. BroMatt will make the decision...I don't know how BroMatt will set it up, but he will let us know soon.

• Members

I would prefer it to be visible in progress - just for the sake of interest.
But if people will not keep their noses put of it (me included), then maybe these guys can do it by PM, and when done the mods can "publish it".

Having it as an open access "honour system" of keeping just to two, leaves it open for a newcomer unaware of the rules to interject, even if the rest of us can restrain ourselves. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not true. A pastor is one who is in authority of a local assembly of Believers. ONce that pastor retires, or if he is forced to relinquish that position, he is no longer a pastor.

I do not pastor any local assembly. Have not done so in nearly 20 years. But I have preached in several assemblies since my retirement from the pastoral position.

None of this is Scriptural, which is an excellent example of our need for this debate.

• Members

I believe there is a way for BroMatt to restrict posting to just certain people while allowing others to read it. 

I'm all for this, I hope this is the format, i.e. 1 on 1 comments only and open for viewing in progress.

• Members

pastors/elders are shepherds of the flock 1 Peter 5:1-4

If they are no longer overseeing a flock, they are no longer a pastor.

Comparison. You drive a bus for 29 years. This makes you a bus driver. After retirement you no longer drive a bus. You are no longer a bus driver.

The title of overseer is "Bishop", not "Pastor".

"Pastor" is a type of teacher, a gift to the church, one of the elders, who "leads the flock to green pastures" through teaching.

The gifts are not revocable, Rom.11:29, so: "once a pastor, always a pastor" is correct.

A Bishop, one of the overseeing elders, is a position appointed by men, hence the lists of qualifications in Tim and Titus.

Archived