• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussions & "debates" In Which I Would Like To Engage

• Members

I'd rather get them all out of the way to avoid side shows for those who think the Calvinist forgot something. Or it can be 1-1 with allowances made for the Calvinist to use handicaps, life lines and dial-a-Calvinist :)

I'll catch up more after the week end is over. We passed out tracts today during a homo parade which went over about as well as a model duck posing at a gun range, and then before sunrise we are moving our stuff to another family member's house in Jaffa. I'm sick of Tel Aviv. When I had to walk over a rainbow colored crosswalk to get my coffee, that was it for me LOL.

laughed at "dial a calvinist", if your call doesn't go through, it wasn't predestined.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, ME TOO, just saw this thread.

I would also like to debate every person on the forum that defends Calvinism. Me against any Calvinist, or all of you at once, doesn't matter to me.

Rut-roh.   :coverlaugh:  

• Members

I personally believe Scott is on to something. The rules are Biblical - check. I like Miss L's (?) idea of a semi-closed (?) thread. If it were me, I'd prefer the 5 persons per discussion (Father, Son, Holy Ghost, and only two forum members). Let the two present their Bible-based cause without distraction. I don't know about a limitation on number of arguments, sometimes the Holy Spirit blocks a thought for me until another time. However, some limitation might need to be set but, that would have to be between the two forum members. I like what Matt said in conjunction with Miss L's. 

I hope you find a way to pull it together.

My concern, anarchy on the sidelines (half in jest half in anticipation)  :hide:  of course that's what our gracious mods are for  :biggrin: .

• Members

I'm a follow the rules person and I'm in no way trying to be mean toward anyone here my heart is humbled to all in fact I'm in agreement with the topic brought forth by pastor Scott.

but a debate would be disOBeying OB rules ,OB rules states that it is not a debating site but a discussion board, it states that they will not allow members to come here just to argue doctrine instead of fellowship and any disagreements you may have should not be handled here.

It also says that " we are not a site interested in arguing or debating " OB is set up for IFB to fellowship and lift up the Lord Jesus Christ.

Back to the topic from pastor Scott I'm in agreement of the discussions brought forth but believe that this discussion should be done on a Pastors only section for open discussions between pastors. having pastors as the moderators following biblical rules as well as OB rules and when the topic discussion is completed all members would be able to view it..I would hope that anyone would think of this to be unfair for this to be a pastors only topic but rather enjoy and learn from these pastors. It's just an idea but I would hope the pastors here would consider discussing this with brother Matt . doing this would keep the topic from running rabbit trails and turning into arguments .

As I said it's just and idea but would like to see it happen I still have a hunger to learn.

God bless 

• Members

Pastors only?

Reckon that would exclude me from the discussion.  I retired from pastoring in '96.  (please note that I did not say I retired from preaching)

Once a pastor always a pastor

• Members

Not true.  A pastor is one who is in authority of a local assembly of Believers.  ONce that pastor retires, or if he is forced to relinquish that position, he is no longer a pastor.

I do not pastor any local assembly.  Have not done so in nearly 20 years.  But I have preached in several assemblies since my retirement from the pastoral position.

• Members

Not true.  A pastor is one who is in authority of a local assembly of Believers.  ONce that pastor retires, or if he is forced to relinquish that position, he is no longer a pastor.

I do not pastor any local assembly.  Have not done so in nearly 20 years.  But I have preached in several assemblies since my retirement from the pastoral position.

thanks for the correction

• Members

No, because not everyone on here is a pastor. It wouldn't always be pastors discussing things.

I know Miss Daisy but pastor Scott wants to discuss the subjects with two pastors one is a retired pastor. this is were the Idea came for a section for pastors to discuss certain topics with other pastors.

this would not mean that we couldn't still post here , I believe it best not to post or disrupt the attention between the pastors discussion but to learn from it. also this would prevent some members that like to cause arguments from posting.

God bless Sister

• Members

OK, each one of the three individuals with whom I specifically indicated my interest to engage in one or more doctrinal matters has responded with a return interest.  Now, since my primary difficulty remains one of time, I believe that it would be best for me to engage only one of these discussions at a time.  Furthermore, I also believe that it is appropriate for me to engage these issues on a "first agree, first engage" basis, which would mean that I should engage first in discussion with Brother Ronald??? (Standing Firm in Christ) on the tithing issue.  However, this creates another difficulty for me, since Brother Ian (Covenanter) has already started a "1 to 1" discussion thread for me to engage with him on the issue of covenant theology.  What to do?  What to do?

Now, regardless of my personal difficulty as expressed above, I do wish to ask Brother Matt and moderators how they wish for us to proceed from this point.  Do you desire that we should just start our own "1 to 1" discussion threads at our discretion and according to our own rules, or do you desire to establish some more official discussion threads with more officially determined rules, or even with "programmed" restrictions?  For my own part, I do not intend to proceed further until we have some direct indication of your permission for us to do so and of your plan by which we should do so.  I would ask that you might advise me (and the others) as you are able.

• Administrators

OK, each one of the three individuals with whom I specifically indicated my interest to engage in one or more doctrinal matters has responded with a return interest.  Now, since my primary difficulty remains one of time, I believe that it would be best for me to engage only one of these discussions at a time.  Furthermore, I also believe that it is appropriate for me to engage these issues on a "first agree, first engage" basis, which would mean that I should engage first in discussion with Brother Ronald??? (Standing Firm in Christ) on the tithing issue.  However, this creates another difficulty for me, since Brother Ian (Covenanter) has already started a "1 to 1" discussion thread for me to engage with him on the issue of covenant theology.  What to do?  What to do?

Now, regardless of my personal difficulty as expressed above, I do wish to ask Brother Matt and moderators how they wish for us to proceed from this point.  Do you desire that we should just start our own "1 to 1" discussion threads at our discretion and according to our own rules, or do you desire to establish some more official discussion threads with more officially determined rules, or even with "programmed" restrictions?  For my own part, I do not intend to proceed further until we have some direct indication of your permission for us to do so and of your plan by which we should do so.  I would ask that you might advise me (and the others) as you are able.

That question has been brought up for discussion by BroMatt and the mods.  

Archived