• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussions & "debates" In Which I Would Like To Engage

• Members

There are a number of discussions and "debates" in which I would be interested to engage on this forum, including the following:

The issue of "tithing" with Brother "Standing Firm in Christ."

The issue of "plurality of elders" with Brother "Prophet1."

The issue of "the title Pastor" with Brother "Prophet1."

The issue of "regeneration before faith" with the Calvinistic representatives on the forum.

The various other issues of "Calvinistic soteriology" with the Calvinistic representatives on the forum.

Various other issues of Biblical interpretation and Biblical doctrine as they arise at various times.

So then, why have I not engaged in these discussions and "debates" as they have arisen throughout this past year?  The answer -- TIME (that is, the lack of time to engage these discussions with a thorough and thoughtful depth).  Often in the past, when one of these discussions has started, I have taken note and have begun to follow.  Indeed, I have even strongly considered making a contribution.  However, the availability of immediate time has moved me to stall in making that contribution.  Then when I am able to return unto the discussion just a day or two later, the "explosion" has occurred.  In that amount of time, the given discussion has often acquired an explosion of contributions, and in many cases has developed some "rabbit trails" and/or has devolved into a disorganized "mess."  At this stage, I simply walk away.  Due to the lack of time, I am simply not able to keep up with this manner of discussion.

So then, why am I presenting these things in this thread?  I actually have a few ideas as to how I might be able to engage in the discussions and "debates" that I have mentioned above, but I do not know if they are at all "workable" in the real function of the forum.  These ideas would include some "restrictives" to the discussions in which I might be able to engage --

First, there would be the restriction in the number of contributors (such as, the contributors of a particular discussion-debate would include myself and only the specific one with whom I have sought engagement, or would include myself and only a very small number of other contributors).

Second, there would be the restriction in the number of contributions (such as, the contributors might be restricted to only one significantly thoughtful contribution per week).  (Note:  In this regard I have even considered checking with Brother Matt and with the moderators to see if there might be some means of creating a type of "temporary lock-out," such that the thread might be open for only one 24 hour period each week.  - Wow!  Am I starting to get crazy in the head, or what?)

Well, just "pitching" some thoughts out there.  I have no idea where this might lead.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brother, you know my zeal for the topic of tithes. I have laid down the challenge many times for pastors to"step up to the plate and, with Scripture, prove that which I teach concerning tithes to be incorrect. Thus far, none have been willing to take me up on that challenge and produce the Scripture that says I should tithe.

That said, I am willing to engage in this discussion... With you or anybody else who believes me to be wrong.

Suggestion: Private Messaging would keep it as a one-on-one, no doubt. Granted, the discussion would not be open for others to read, but it would take place nonetheless.

Once a week posting would no doubt draw it out to a great time span... Possibly more than a year. I was in a theological discussion six-eight months ago on the topic that had both panels discussing back and forth on an almost daily basis. (We did take a break during the Christmas holidays). But even daily, the discussion lasted fifty-eight days. Just a heads-up on the amount of time it could take with a once-a-week approach.

• Members

Adding my 2 cents:

It might be a good idea for BroMatt to open a "Debate" forum and restrict the posting only to the two people who are actually doing the debating.  The debate threads would be viewable to the public, but the discussion/posting would be restricted.  That way the "rabbit trails" would be avoided.

If others wish to discuss what is going on in the debate forum, then another thread could be opened in another area of OB for "open" discussion on a particular debate.

• Members

Brother, you know my zeal for the topic of tithes. I have laid down the challenge many times for pastors to"step up to the plate and, with Scripture, prove that which I teach concerning tithes to be incorrect. Thus far, none have been willing to take me up on that challenge and produce the Scripture that says I should tithe.

That said, I am willing to engage in this discussion... With you or anybody else who believes me to be wrong.

Suggestion: Private Messaging would keep it as a one-on-one, no doubt. Granted, the discussion would not be open for others to read, but it would take place nonetheless.

Once a week posting would no doubt draw it out to a great time span... Possibly more than a year. I was in a theological discussion six-eight months ago on the topic that had both panels discussing back and forth on an almost daily basis. (We did take a break during the Christmas holidays). But even daily, the discussion lasted fifty-eight days. Just a heads-up on the amount of time it could take with a once-a-week approach.

Yes, Brother, I am aware of your zeal and passion with regard to this issue.  However, I do not believe that our discussion shall progress exactly as others have.  Now, I could be somewhat biased in that regard; therefore, it might not be worth considering my opinion on that matter.  

Concerning the matter of progress, for me the prOBlem is one of time.  On the other hand, depending on the manner in which our discussion might progress, we might even be able to post more often.  I just do not wish to make commitments that overextend my time abilities and thus cause me to fail in those commitments.

Concerning the matter of private messaging, I really do desire that others might be able to follow the discussion, not because I believe that I will do such a "marvelous" jOB on my side of the discussion, but because I believe that a measured discussion will be of value to all.

• Members

Adding my 2 cents:

It might be a good idea for BroMatt to open a "Debate" forum and restrict the posting only to the two people who are actually doing the debating.  The debate threads would be viewable to the public, but the discussion/posting would be restricted.  That way the "rabbit trails" would be avoided.

If others wish to discuss what is going on in the debate forum, then another thread could be opened in another area of OB for "open" discussion on a particular debate.

Sister Linda,

I would agree that this is a fairly good idea.  I have no idea how such an idea might be "worked-out" in the actual function of the forum, but I do believe that the idea itself is of value.

• Members

Agreed.

My wife has posted a suggestion.  This same suggestion that she gave was implemented in the theological panel I was in for 58 days.  For the most part, it worked quite well. 

A thread could be started titled, "A Theological Discussion Between Pastor Scott Markle and Standing firm in Christ", or some similar title.  Bro Matt may have the capability to make a thread that is viewable to all but restricted to certain posters.  I know I can on my forum.

• Members

Adding my 2 cents:

That's a great idea, Linda. We did exactly that on a another forum, with 2 threads as suggested. Viewers could simply be warned that any interference with the debate would be deleted by a mod.

One such debate was proposed by a calvinist who supported the execution of Servetus, & church authority over public morals. I spoke against, in defence of Servetus.

• Administrators

In that past we have had discussion where only certain members that wanted to can post in.
We did this for an atheist one time, it was not ""freestyle" but was done in a debate style and one could post at his/her convenience. We had rules that the "debaters" had to follow and everyone followed the rules and it went very smoothly.

Everyone could view the discussion. I guess it could be done again.

• Members

You would have to find a way to force people to answer the questions actually asked. Many of the issues you note the proponents constantly sidestep when they are brought to a point they can't - or won't - defend, hence the rabbit trails.

• Members

You would have to find a way to force people to answer the questions actually asked. Many of the issues you note the proponents constantly sidestep when they are brought to a point they can't - or won't - defend, hence the rabbit trails.

Everybody knows by now that I don't sidestep the tithe topic.  LOL

Archived