• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Giving Under Hard Finances?

sdeshazo

• Members

Hey, I've got a question. Ok, so, I have been giving my tithes for some time now. In the last 6 months or so, I have been convicted to give an X percent of my paycheck to missions. Well, since I have been giving my tithes and missions, I havent really been under any financial hardships. However, in the next couple months I will be moving out on my own, and I just dont know how I can give to missions... I feel like I still should, and I have every intention on continuing.. I feel that giving to missions is one of life's greatest investments. I was just wondering if someone could give me a little advice concerning this. Thank you much!

-Shaun

• Members

I am having a hard time swallowing giving less. I mean, I feel in my heart to give a certain percent to missions. I feel like deciding to give less would be telling God that I dont trust that He will provide. 

• Members

Any giving must be with a willing heart.
2 Cor 8:
 11  Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance also out of that which ye have.

12  For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

13  For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

If it begins to be a matter of duty rather than love for the Lord, then He does not want it.

However, the concept of sowing and reaping is well established - basically, if you are giving willingly according to your conscience, the Lord will reward you - not necessarily with money by the way.

I have found - personally and within our church - that when I am stingy, I find we struggle financially; when I am generous, the Lord provides that I may continue in generosity.

• Members

Not important to tithe at all.

Tithing was a command for the children of Israel and that command was never given to the Church... at least, not be God, nor by His Apostles. 

Also, if you do a study on the tithe command in the Bible... a diligent study, you will find God never commanded tithes of money.  The lie that God requires a tithe of money was invented by the Roman Catholic Church in AD 777, and more than a millenium later, the Protestant Church adopted it.  That's right, every time you tithe your money, you are OBeying, not a command from God, but from someone who is preaching a catholic doctrine.

As to feeling guilty about giving less?  If your giving is going to put you in a financial burden, then, as Miss Daisy said, decrease your giving.  God will not be displeased with that.  Notice:

2 Corinthians 8:12-13 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

Did you notice that?  God does not want your giving to ease others and yourself be burdened.  In other words, give within your means. 

Maybe, if you stop bowing to the tithe lie, you will still be able to give the amount you were giving to missions without burdening yourself.

• Members

I give, not out of duty, but because God has laid it on my heart to give a certain percent.. So, yes, I do it because I want to, but also because God has impressed upon me to do as such.. I guess you could consider it a joyful duty. 

• Members

Honestly, I don't feel like God is telling me to decrease.

This is one of the benefits of % giving over straight $ amount giving.
When you establish the % that you feel the Lord has led you to, it is then dependent upon what the Lord provides for you.
If He gives you $1000 for this week and you have determined 30% is the amount, you give $300; but if He decides $100 is enough for you this week then He already knows your decision and heart and is only expecting $30.

However, if it is dedicated to a missionary then it makes it very difficult for the missionary to budget - this is entirely a practical point though. You still give according to the leading of the Lord.

My suggestion: regular giving based on the % the Lord leads you to; missionary giving on a set $ amount.

But that is my preference, not biblical, nor unbiblical.

I think it makes it more consistent for the missionary, and it means you trust the Lord to provide for you what He wills.

Note: 30% is a random figure, not a suggested one. Let the Lord lead you, not me. ;)

• Members

Hey, I've got a question. Ok, so, I have been giving my tithes for some time now. In the last 6 months or so, I have been convicted to give an X percent of my paycheck to missions. Well, since I have been giving my tithes and missions, I havent really been under any financial hardships. However, in the next couple months I will be moving out on my own, and I just dont know how I can give to missions... I feel like I still should, and I have every intention on continuing.. I feel that giving to missions is one of life's greatest investments. I was just wondering if someone could give me a little advice concerning this. Thank you much!

-Shaun

Hebrews 13:12-16

12Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

15By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16But to do good and to communicate (((share))) forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

God is very interested in your feelings toward him.

Your giving will be an expression of your true feelings.

• Members

OBeying Gods Word ,serving God in a ministry, soul winning, praying for others, teaching a Sunday school class, visiting the sick, loving one another, helping a brother or sister that has fallen, the list goes on.

I've received more blessings from the above far more than any amount of money I could ever give to God

there's no set amount % that I give to the church because I give to more than one church to missionaries and to the needy I take of what God gives to me and joyfully share it with others giving God the Glory.

being OBedient to Gods will in my life and to His word God has always provided all my needs.

More churches need to preach more on " seek ye first the things of the Kingdom of Heaven" then on % tithing putting the burden on the heart to OBey Gods word and not the burden of giving % money

Archived