• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Similarities Between Mormonism And Catholicism

• Administrators

As per candle's request, I'm starting a thread on the similarities between the Mormon belief and the Catholic belief. I don't remember everything off the top of my head (it's been almost 40 years since I actually looked at this...), I'll try. I'm sure others can think of things, too.

Each religion has a specific and revered leader.  Catholics have the Pope and Mormons have the Prophet.  Either man can have revelations that can change church dogma.

The Catholics accept the Bible and tradition.  Mormon's accept the Bible (and it's usually KJV) and additional "scripture".

Purgatory for Catholics, spirit prison for Mormons.  While Catholics believe that they must pray for those in purgatory (and pay for masses...), Mormons believe they must be baptized for those who died without baptism. Those in spirit prison are being cleansed for the resurrection.

Both believe baptism is necessary for salvation (they teach other works, too, but without baptism there is no salvation - although the Mormons do not believe in infant baptism).  

Each religion believes and teaches it is the one true church.

Each religion believes they have apostolic succession (the Mormon church has a council of 12 apostles all the time...)

In Catholicism, Mary is believed to be like a god and can answer prayers, etc. (this is an example of a dogma that the pope created - at the beginning of Catholicism, they did not believe that Mary was immaculately conceived...they do because of the papal bull of 1854).  Mormons believe in a goddess mother - she and father populated the earth with spirit babies (who are born and then come into human bodies [and that would include Jesus' birth...]).

Both rely heavily on works - the Catholics for salvation, and the Mormons for the level of heaven they will end in (the third heaven being where father is and that is the ultimate goal).  

Both religions believe that there is a difference in types of sins. Catholics have mortal - more serious sins, and the ones Jesus died for - and venial - lesser sins to be paid for by each person in purgatory. Mormons believe that there are some sins too grievous for the blood of Jesus to cleanse. In fact, in their history, some have actually given themselves up to be killed to pay for their own sins.

Both will side with their traditions (the Mormon "scriptures" are their traditions) over the Bible if push comes to shove.

Mormons believe that man is becoming a god: "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, many may be."  Paragraph 460 of the pope's catechism says:  "For the Son of God became man that we might become God.  The only begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, mad man, might make men gods."

There are a number of differences between the two as well.

• Moderators

Both religions believe that there is a difference in types of sins. Catholics have mortal - more serious sins, and the ones Jesus died for - and venial - lesser sins to be paid for by each person in purgatory. Mormons believe that there are some sins too grievous for the blood of Jesus to cleanse. In fact, in their history, some have actually given themselves up to be killed to pay for their own sins.

This is very true, and it also gives them justification for killing 'apostates' from their system, because they believe that only the shedding of the blood of the person who has left them will pay the price for their leaving. This is how they understand the blood atonement-that one's blood must be shed to pay for their own sins-so you're actually doing someone a favor when you kil them 'for their own good'.

• Members

Thanks so much, HC and Ukelelemike.  This is a very interesting study on the similarities on the RCC and the Mormon "churches."

In many island countries, an RC is known to lay down his life by being crucified to a cross for salvation.  I have seen accounts by US missionaries serving in island countries, where this is the case.  These accounts show a person laying on the ground, and being nailed to it.  

Also, without sounding condescending, as a former RC, I can see many similarities of other religions such as Judaism, Islam and many Protestant religions.  Things taught in the RCC scream loud and clear to me, of things taught in these other religions.    

• Moderators

I think, of course, the biggest, most OBvious similarity is that they both worship a false Jesus and a false God, and they completely change what the 'gospel' is, both turning it from "Jesus did it all" to "What WE have to do to finish the work". Aaaand, the both make a lot of money in religion. And no one today seems to want to brand either as a false religion or cult.

I guess I could just go on all day but these are all things we all know anyways.

• Members

I think, of course, the biggest, most OBvious similarity is that they both worship a false Jesus and a false God, and they completely change what the 'gospel' is, both turning it from "Jesus did it all" to "What WE have to do to finish the work". Aaaand, the both make a lot of money in religion. And no one today seems to want to brand either as a false religion or cult.

I guess I could just go on all day but these are all things we all know anyways.

Well said, brother.  In RC, I see this especially during Lent.  RC's are taught that they have to suffer like Christ did.  Sadly, Lent is celebrated in some Protestant churches, as well.  

Years ago, an attorney in the city of Cleveland, OH wrote a huge article that appeared on the front page of the town's only newspaper.  He talked about all the money the Vatican has stolen via the RCC.  It got lots of results.  You are right about people not branding both the RC and Mormon "churches" as false religions or cults.  I have read material from IFB's that shy away from calling the RCC a cult.  Any religion that teaches anything contrary to "salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ" is a cult.  Sadly, even bold Christians do not say this aloud.      

• Administrators

Interestingly enough, Mormon leaders don't get paid - I'm talking about stake leaders, etc (they would be equivalent to pastors).  Missionaries have to pay their own way, etc.  The RCC pays all of their cardinals, bishops, etc.  The pope lives lavishly while the prophet (president) of the LDS does not.  

The Mormon church does have money - they are fiscally sound, with investments, etc.  But one thing that I know they do is help each other. There is a system of church (for want of a better word) "welfare" where they take care of their own. Sadly, much better than Christians do.  The RCC simply takes from their members.

That in no way justifies Mormonism, but it does explain a wee part of the attraction.

• Moderators

I dunno, I suspect some of the higher leaders like the Quorum of 12 and the prophet prOBably don't get 'paid' but I am certain there are other perks that make up for it. Otherwise how do you keep people who MUST KNOW they are false prophets, to remain in place?

• Members

Interestingly enough, Mormon leaders don't get paid - I'm talking about stake leaders, etc (they would be equivalent to pastors).  Missionaries have to pay their own way, etc.  The RCC pays all of their cardinals, bishops, etc.  The pope lives lavishly while the prophet (president) of the LDS does not.  

The Mormon church does have money - they are fiscally sound, with investments, etc.  But one thing that I know they do is help each other. There is a system of church (for want of a better word) "welfare" where they take care of their own. Sadly, much better than Christians do.  The RCC simply takes from their members.

That in no way justifies Mormonism, but it does explain a wee part of the attraction.

That's interesting to hear, HC.  If one needs help in the RCC, you get a can of soup.   :icon_rolleyes:   Although, there are RC "churches" set up with food kitchens.  Take, take and take is the RCC way.  Priests get their hands on a few wealthy members of the congregation, and use them to live their lavish lifestyle and build onto the church.

Years ago, before my mom started working outside of the home, she worked on the Ladies Guild in our RCC church.  During Lent, when RC's aren't supposed to eat meat on Ash Wednesday, and all Fridays during that period, my mom saw the priest's refrigerator stocked with a whole lot of meat.  And, booze was everywhere.  Not just communion wine, but beer and hard liquor.  That was the beginning of the end for her with the RCC.  The end for her and the RCC occurred when her brother died of Colon Cancer in 1983.  She went to the parish priest for counselling.  She received no help.  My dad was already finished with the RCC, when he went to a confession booth to talk with a priest.  He hadn't gone for years and had not taking communion, either.  He told the priest he needed some help rearing my second oldest brother, who was a handful.  The priest told my dad he was a bad, father, and also needed to work on his marriage, as well.  Well, my dad went off!  He preceded to tell the priest that he would never consider telling the pilot of a 747 airplane how to fly the jet, b/c he had no experience and training.  He told the priest, that he had no right to talk to him about marriage, since he wasn't a married man.

Before that, my parents attended another RC church when I was a young girl.  The priest in that church, was telling everyone that they were going to hell (on their works, of course   :icon_rolleyes: ) and that he "the priest" was the only one going to heaven.  My dad almost took his family of six out of the Mass, right then and there.  However, my mom managed to convince him to stay and they would leave quietly after the Mass.  My dad's cousin, a Monsignor in a church in CA, and head of the Diocese of Education in San Diego, at that time, directed my parents into the other local RC church.  We stayed until I was at the end of 6th grade.  We went back to the other RC "church" because it was under different leadership.  Since they extended the lunch hour in the public grade school my sister and I were attending, my parents put us in Parochial School, b/c tuition was free at that time.  My parents were both working and their were a series of kidnappings in my hometown. Anyway, it was in this RCC that I was introduced to the Bible.  I found out years later, that my favorite teacher, in that school, was a Born Again Christian.  My religion teacher, was a nun.  She used the Bible "The Way" to teach religion in 7th grade.  Anyway, years later, the school fired the Born Again teacher, when they changed "church" leadership again.    

• Moderators

This is from a site I found googling mormon benefits. It purports to be from an actual publication given to leadership, so of course I can't confirm it, but it would support the idea.  Found at: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2984029/posts

If you go there, spend a couple minutes going over the comments. More first-hand info there, as well.

Late last year (2012) a copy of the 2006 Mission President’s Handbook was posted on an individual’s blog site. This document, produced by the Mormon Church as a practical instruction manual for mission presidents, “contains basic policies and guidelines established by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles to help you lead your missionaries and direct the work” (6). The book is not intended for general readership; “general” readers have found that it contains some things that are surprising in light of the public face that the Church puts forth.

PaycheckOne such surprise is found in Appendix B, Family Finances. It begins,

“While you are serving as mission president, the Church reimburses the necessary living expenses for you, your wife, and your dependent children. Dependent children are defined as those who are under age 26, have not been married, and are not employed full-time. Living expenses include food, clothing, household supplies, family activities, dry cleaning, personal long-distance calls to family, and modest gifts (for example, Christmas, birthdays, or anniversary).” (80)

Additional reimbursable or paid expenses are also listed including (but not limited to) medical expenses; support for children serving full-time missions; dance lessons (and the like) for elementary and secondary school-aged children as well as their school tuition, fees and books; undergraduate college tuition; a gardener; a housekeeper; internet and other utilities; babysitters; transportation expenses including the use of a car and all fuel and maintenance expenses; and personal health and life insurance premiums.

The handbook instructs,

“The amount of any funds reimbursed to you should be kept strictly confidential and should not be discussed with missionaries, other mission presidents, friends, or family members.” (80)

One can only speculate about the reasons for this confidentiality among friends and family. But the mission president is also instructed to keep mum about these financial benefits to the taxman.

“Because you are engaged in volunteer religious service, no employer-employee relationship exists between you and the Church. As a result, any funds reimbursed to you from the Church are not considered income for tax purposes; they are not reported to the government, and taxes are not withheld with regard to these funds…

“To avoid raising unnecessary tax questions, please follow these guidelines closely:

“Do not share information on funds you receive from the Church with those who help you with financial or tax matters. Any exceptions should be discussed with the Church Tax Division.

“Never represent in any way that you are paid for your service.

“If you are required to file an income-tax report for other purposes, do not list any funds you receive from the Church, regardless of where you serve or where you hold citizenship.” (82)

Eric Johnson and Bill McKeever did some calculations on a hypothetical mission president serving in the state of Utah. This imaginary Mormon Church leader ended up with benefits equaling $99,500 per year. Furthermore, Eric Johnson writes,

“It must be mentioned that tithing on these items are not supposed to be paid. Unlike other church members, this family can receive temple recommends without paying tithing on “income.” Hence, for the value of this compensation, which we list here at almost $100,000, the tithe amount would be at least $10,000. So, this particular mission president—who, remember, is considered a “volunteer”—is getting compensation for at least $110,000! Not bad for someone who is not supposedly getting a wage!”

• Members

a born again nun?

No, I don't believe she was born again, Miss Daisy.  She merely taught religion from one of the MV Bible's "The Way."  It was kind of like the hippy Bible of the 1970's.  LOL  While I was being spiritually drawn, I picked up "The Way" at a garage sale.  I opened it and found a pot leaf inside the pages.   ;)  Anyway, this nun still adhered to the false teaching of the RCC, however, I truly believe my 8th grade Social Studies teacher was a Born Again Christian.  I found this out years later, at my old IFB church, from a man who was raised IFB.  He told me that this teacher, was saved.  Thinking back, I really believe she was.  She was also the best teacher in that school.  She taught the class the US Constitution, we had to memorize the presidents in order, the states and state capitals, etc.  I wish I would have been in her 8th grade religion class.  

• Administrators

I dunno, I suspect some of the higher leaders like the Quorum of 12 and the prophet prOBably don't get 'paid' but I am certain there are other perks that make up for it. Otherwise how do you keep people who MUST KNOW they are false prophets, to remain in place?

Well, I did specify stake leaders.  They don't get paid anything.  Neither do ward leaders.  That is the local leadership.  

The upper leaders do get something - whether stipend, salary, or reimbursement.  They don't, however, live a lavish lifestyle. I've heard that the GA (General Authorities) receive about $50,000 - which is much less than what most of them would get in jOBs outside the church (and, really, $50,000 isn't all that much in today's economy).  Keep in mind that most of the leaders are qualified to be in quite high paying jOBs, for the most part.

That's just it, Uke. They don't know they are false prophets. They really believe what the church teaches.

• Members

No, I don't believe she was born again, Miss Daisy.  She merely taught religion from one of the MV Bible's "The Way."  It was kind of like the hippy Bible of the 1970's.  LOL  While I was being spiritually drawn, I picked up "The Way" at a garage sale.  I opened it and found a pot leaf inside the pages.   ;)  Anyway, this nun still adhered to the false teaching of the RCC, however, I truly believe my 8th grade Social Studies teacher was a Born Again Christian.  I found this out years later, at my old IFB church, from a man who was raised IFB.  He told me that this teacher, was saved.  Thinking back, I really believe she was.  She was also the best teacher in that school.  She taught the class the US Constitution, we had to memorize the presidents in order, the states and state capitals, etc.  I wish I would have been in her 8th grade religion class.  

I wanted to clarify something.  This man, raised in the IFB, had some learning difficulties as a child.  His parents sent him to this parochial school b/c they offered more help for him than the public school did, at that time.  School tuition was also cheaper in the RCC than in Christian school.  Besides, the only Christian school in my area is Heritage Baptist School, out of Cleveland Baptist Church.  It is a bit of a drive for many Christians to take their child daily to school.  Homeschooling was not big in the 1970's, either.  I do know several Born Again Christians who send their children to get educated in parochial school.  Some go to parochial high schools.  I don't know how it is now, but the RCC didn't force anyone who is not an RC to take daily religion classes, and go to weekly Mass.  In fact, during my first two years of teaching, I taught at a parochial school.  The other 4th grade teacher was a Lutheran.  It was my jOB to plan class Masses for my children, when the 4th grade took their turn.

Archived