• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Show Me The Father And It Will Be Sufficient

The Glory Land

• Members

In context, Christ is telling the disciples not to give the reverence that only God deserves to mere men. He said for them not to be called Rabbi or master, nor were they to refer to any other man on earth as Father. To do so is to ascribe the reverence and exaltation to men that only God deserves.

I don't necessarily believe it's wrong to call your earthly father as father...the Bible gives examples of people referring to them as fathers.

This is a command to not give religious leaders undue reverence; however, false religions use all three terms for their religious leaders...

Rabbi - Judaism

Master - Eastern Religions

Father - Catholicism

• Members

By the way...this is the reason I shy away from referring to pastors as Dr. So-n-so. Yes, I understand that there's nothing in those passages about calling religious leaders as Doctor thus-n-such, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling to ascribe even that much reverence to a man, because I know that it can be a source of pride with many of them.

I call them Pastor So-n-so or Brother Thus-n-such...whether they like it or not.  :coverlaugh:

...but that's me.

• Members

I have only had one person (that I know of) to call me "Doc".  That was the pastor of Calvary's Hill Baptist Church in Reidsville, NC.

Most people just refer to me by my name.  When I was pastoring, I would tell my congregation that , "while it is true, that I am pastoring this Body of Believers, it must be understood that I am also your fellow-labourer in the Gospel.  Call me "Brother," or "Ron".

• Moderators

By the way...this is the reason I shy away from referring to pastors as Dr. So-n-so. Yes, I understand that there's nothing in those passages about calling religious leaders as Doctor thus-n-such, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling to ascribe even that much reverence to a man, because I know that it can be a source of pride with many of them.

I call them Pastor So-n-so or Brother Thus-n-such...whether they like it or not.  :coverlaugh:

...but that's me.

I know about close to a half dozen preachers with doctorates who don't go by Dr and most people (including, or even especially, other preachers) don't know due to the possibility of a trend being started of calling them Dr.

• Members

We have a person in our church that went off to bible college at only 17 years old.  He put in the time to get his Doctorate if for no other reason but to help when he became an associate pastor with those that would have difficulty taking advice from a kid still wet behind the ears.  Paul tells Timothy to let no man despise your youth but having a 24 year old who can be called Dr. helped him command a little more respect and his counsel be considered valid.  He says he will drop the title once he has some years under him in the ministry.

• Members

I know about close to a half dozen preachers with doctorates who don't go by Dr and most people (including, or even especially, other preachers) don't know due to the possibility of a trend being started of calling them Dr.

My missionary friend's dad (a missionary) is a Dr. in Theology.  Everyone calls him pastor or brother.  I will keep this in mind, OFP.  I didn't know that.

• Members

Also, If I was a preacher, I would not want to be called "reverend" either. God's name is "reverend", not ours.

He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. Psalm 111:9

• Administrators

Also, If I was a preacher, I would not want to be called "reverend" either. God's name is "reverend", not ours.

He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. Psalm 111:9

My hubby is like that, too - when people address him as that, he asks them to refer to him as minister instead and explains why with this verse.

• Members

...but that's me.

Well said.

• Members

I am not to sure it is all bad to show a good pastor high honor.  I will call a Pastor by the title Dr. if he has earned it, however, I shy away from calling one "reverend".

1 Timothy 5:17 (KJV)
17  Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 

Archived