• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why People Hate The King James Bible

Donald

• Members

In my experience, talking to liberal “professing” Christians who hate the KJB, I have discovered that they also hate dogmatism.

(As for why they hate dogmatism, that is anybodies guess;)

But the fact that the KJB is recognized as an authoritative copy of God’s Holy Word, it promotes dogmatism among believers and this just seems to drive them up the wall.

• Members

In many instances the KJB is far more direct and clear in it's declarations of what is sin, the terribleness of sin and the consequences of sin than are many MVs. Liberal minded Christians and secular Christians don't like that at all. While certain MVs give them wiggle room, the KJB does not.

• Moderators

People hate dogmatism, (though I would just call it doctrine) because it gives no wiggle room. "Thus saith the LORD" is pretty narrow and restrictive and of course, many dislike that. "Grace, Grace", they cry, while denigrating it to mean, "I can do as I please!". Doctrine doesn't allow that, so it must be done away with, and thus, so also must the fount of doctrine and truth: the Bible, and true churches that teach it.

Edit: by the way, I didn't read all of John81's comment above, but I see we even agreed on the "wiggle room" idea. Great minds, eh?

• Moderators

In many instances the KJB is far more direct and clear in it's declarations of what is sin, the terribleness of sin and the consequences of sin than are many MVs. Liberal minded Christians and secular Christians don't like that at all. While certain MVs give them wiggle room, the KJB does not.

That's true.

I was visiting a regular baptist church a few weeks ago (long story). The pastor was preaching a series on the Sabbath. He'd mentioned that he'd never heard a sermon on the Sabbath or been taught anything about in Bible School, and had to do a lot of research before creating this sermon series. I was actually pretty impressed with him for approaching the topic - a lot more meat than one usually gets in evangelical churches. My friend, who goes to that church, was all impressed about it, having never heard teaching on such a subject himself either. Which made me laugh because since coming to an IFB church, I've heard plenty taught about the Sabbath. :wink

Anyways, that sermon was on the history of the Sabbath and how Christians began to worship on Sunday. Actually pretty spot on - same thing my pastor would have said. The speaker was emphasizing how OBserving the Sabbath was under the law, and Christians are not - which is correct, but I kept thinking about the verse 'Not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together' - and then he brought it up! Like I said, I was pretty impressed with this guy. Only prOBlem was, it was an MV rendering of the verse, which rendering made it sound much more like "it's a good idea to meet together for worship" rather than the KJV's command to "not forsake'.  Funny how the difference in wording implies a difference in application...

• Members

The people who "demand" tolerance are generally the most "intolerant" people out there. 

Although, I did hear one of these people demanding "tolerance" from us say that they did not have to be "tolerant" of "intolerance." 

I quickly denounced him as being a hypocrite!

• Members

In my experience it is because many refuse to believe that the KJB is the verbal and plenary inspired word of God. I have met many (almost entirely in IFB circles) that believe the KJB is the only inspired word of God for the English language. I have yet to meet one person that says any of the modern versions are the inspired Bible for the English language. They may say that one is closer than the rest, but none are perfect. As John and Mike have already pointed out (and others have alluded to), having one pure version eliminates wiggle room.

I have often been to mixed Christian gatherings where it has been said "the Holy Spirit guides me to the appropriate version for any given verse".

REALLY??!! I say "the Holy Spirit leads me to the KJB for every verse. Does this mean that God is the author of confusion?" How quickly their argument falls flat, and yet they continue to cling to it. It all retreats back to the argument of relativism...what's good for you is not always good for me. Unfortunately for them, God does not practice relativism except that EVERYTHING is relative to what is good to God.

I was saved 33 years ago under the preaching of Adrian Rogers at Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN. I still really like his preaching and am able to get past recordings off ITUNES, but there is one thing that really miffs me. He preaches from the KJB (although not KJV only), but every now and again he'll come to a word or phrase where he'll say "this is an unfortunate translation in the KJB".

"No" I invariably yell at the IPOD, "the unfortunate translation is what is about to come out of your mouth!"

What makes these people smarter and wiser than the 47 inspired translators of the KJB? Oh, wait, it's already been stated..."Wiggle Room". The devil loves wiggle room.

Archived