• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Doomed To Be Single?

• Members
9 hours ago, Pastorj said:

Throughout my ministry, I have counseled a number of men and women in the same position. There will be people who disagree with what I am going to say, but Scripture is clear.

Marriage is permanent. With man, you are divorced. You and your wife are no longer legally married. God's views are different. In God's eyes she is still your wife, which is why you are not eligible to remarry until she departs this earth. This does not mean that your life is over. There are many areas of ministry that you can and should be involved in. I know many divorced individuals who teach Sunday School classes, run bus ministries, start single ministries to help others. God can and wants to use you. Start by getting into a good church and serving the Lord.

Is it really that cut and dry Pastorj?  I am married to a man that was married prior.  We were both unsaved and had no clue what the Lords word was on this.  We were both saved after we were married.  The Lord obviously had mercy on us.   Prior to our conversion we were according to the bible dead.  If some one committed these things while dead,  then were made alive, a new birth , a new creature,  I have always believed that changes things.   God doesn't even remember our past according to scripture.    

Edited by Thief on the Cross

• Members
On 9/19/2018 at 4:06 PM, Thief on the Cross said:

Is it really that cut and dry Pastorj?  I am married to a man that was married prior.  We were both unsaved and had no clue what the Lords word was on this.  We were both saved after we were married.  The Lord obviously had mercy on us.   Prior to our conversion we were according to the bible dead.  If some one committed these things while dead,  then were made alive, a new birth , a new creature,  I have always believed that changes things.   God doesn't even remember our past according to scripture.    

The doctrine of marriage for the New Testament Christian is found in 1st Corinthians 7.  Such a union as you describe is sin and sins can be and will be forgiven and you can continue on in marriage until the Lord calls y'all home.  Obviously the Lord will not call your husband to be a Pastor or Deacon but you can both faithfully serve in other ways.  Don't dwell on it. 

• Members
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Thief on the Cross said:

Yes, it is that cut and dry. However, as mentioned, God can and wants to use divorced people. They just can't be a pastor or deacon. The Word of God has to be taken literally and marriage is sacred and dealt with from Genesis to the New Testament and it is always the same. When we want to take one passage and say that this is for NT Christians and then ignore the Gospels or the Old Testament, we come up with doctrines that make us feel better and excuse our sin.

• Members

Can sone one answer a few questions for me then.  These are sincere questions , trying to understand.

I will use sone examples from people I know.

A couple comes to our church.  Both have been previously married, now living  as whats called  common law.  They have children from previous marriages and also a child from their union.   After they are both saved, They were told they should be married.   Should they be married?

Another couple,  both divorced,  get saved , told they should be married.  Should they be?  They have no children between them , but adult children from their previous marriages.   They were living together. 

The woman at the well.  Jesus said that she had five husbands,  are we to believe they have all died.  Or 4 have died , 1 is still alive and that is why he says the one you are with is not you husband? 

Edited by Thief on the Cross

• Members
37 minutes ago, Thief on the Cross said:

Can sone one answer a few questions for me then.  These are sincere questions , trying to understand.

I will use sone examples from people I know.

A couple comes to our church.  Both have been previously married, now living  as whats called  common law.  They have children from previous marriages and also a child from their union.   After they are both saved, They were told they should be married.   Should they be married?

Another couple,  both divorced,  get saved , told they should be married.  Should they be?  They have no children between them , but adult children from their previous marriages.   They were living together. 

The woman at the well.  Jesus said that she had five husbands,  are we to believe they have all died.  Or 4 have died , 1 is still alive and that is why he says the one you are with is not you husband? 

Some great questions

1. Couple living in a common law marriage - They are married already. Doing vows is a formality.
2. Couple living together, but not married - This one is tough because I am sure they are sleeping together. I would not marry these individuals. I would encourage them to separate until their former spouses have passed.
3. Woman at the well - She was married to 5 and the one she was currently with was an adulterous affair. Jesus was calling her out on it. He was not telling her to go and get married to the guy she was currently with.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 6/7/2014 at 4:33 PM, That Guy said:

Hello, I'm new here. Literally 10 minutes new. I'll just jump right into the reason I signed up, and decided to post. I'm hoping there's hope for guys like me. I got married before I was saved, and divorced before I was saved, and that was 17 or 18 years ago. I'm older, but by no means old (40), and have a lot of life left in me if The Lord permits me to live a long life, or doesn't come back first. Everything I've seen says I cannot remarry, and since my original wife was unsaved, and is now remarried there's no hope of reconcilliation.

Well,   you know two things I think - maybe three.   You sinned.   

IF your first wife dies,  you are free to marry again, IF God Permits. (always obey Him, always)

As "Everything you've seen" says you cannot remarry ,  it is settled then.  No worries - no seeking a new wife unless , until,  and after the first one passes away, if she does, and again, God Willing.

To go against what you learned,  would not be faith , and whatever is not of faith is sin.  And it would be worse sin than previously, with long-term results,  harming yourself and others,  more than you might ever know until Judgment Day or whenever all is revealed. (there is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed).

Worse sin might be forgiven, yes.  But what is written in Scripture about someone who sins knowningly,  vs someone who sins unwittingly ?   Whose punishment is worse ?   This is not at all an excuse for anyone reading or ever to sin ,  expecting to get away with it.  No,  that would be even worse again,  and could be fatally worse.  God Knows.