• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Regarding "mansions"...

• Members

I heard a preacher the other day, and he was talking about Jewish marriage from the past.

In order to make this short, I'll cut right to the chase...

I've heard about the period of time when the man and wife are espoused to each other; during which, the future groom will build an addition onto his father's house for he and his future bride to live in. The preacher said that this addition was called a mansion.

Has anyone else heard this before?

• Members

I dunno... That sounds like someone trying a little too hard to make a cultural/Biblical connection. But who knows?

Those were similar to my thoughts.

I've struggled with whether to post this or not, because I realize that it could cause confusion...or get me railed on by some.   :knuppel:  :nuts: 

All that I have found, and it has nothing to do with Jewish customs, is this...in the 1600s, the word "mansion" didn't mean what it means today. I know that MV proponents like to claim that the word mansion is mistranslated in the King James; however, I disagree. That's why it's important to study, because we all know that some of the word's meanings (in the King James) have changed over the years.

I don't want to cause any confusion, because many people associate the "mansions" that Jesus spoke of (in my Father's house are many mansions) as being what we think of as mansions today. In the 1600s, the definition of "mansion" was "an abiding place".

Now, don't get me wrong...any abiding place that the Lord has prepared for us in the Father's house would surely be even more glorious than any earthly mansion!  :amen: 

My point is this..."mansions" in the King James is not a mistranslation. You can see the definition of mansion from the year 1604 on the following link.  Click the link, find the M (for words starting with M) and click it, then find "mansion".

http://www.library.utoronto.ca/utel/ret/cawdrey/cawdrey0.html#m

Okay...I'm ready to be lambasted now.   :hide:

• Members

That is actually a very good point. Many of the prosperity preachers point to that verse and then talk about earthly mansions in the modern sense. At the same time, the MV crowd typically says (as you point out) that the KJB is wrong to use "mansions" and they claim the word means "rooms". Along these lines, I've heard some MV preachers claiming this means we won't be living in a huge mansion (modern variety) but rather we will have condominiums in heaven; which many describe as luxury condos.

It can very fascinating and informative to research how some of he words in the KJB have changed meaning. We can get a more in-depth understanding of what a verse or passage is really saying, and often knowing this truth is helpful when the MV crowd talks their "mistranslated KJB" stuff.

• Moderators

I admit to having used the 'mansion' example in a sermon related to the first couple episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies as an example of how eye hath not seen, nor ear heard what the Lord has prepared for us, (no, not meant to be an exact quote).

If you have seen the first episode, when Jew finds he's rich and his sister, Pearl, is giving him reasons to move somehwhere better, she says, "you're eight miles from your nearest neighbor, you're overrung with skunks, possum, coyotes, bocats, you use kerosesn lamps for light, you cook on a wood stove summer and winter, you're drinking homemade moonshine, washing with homemeade lye soap, and your bathroom is 50 feet from the house, and you ask, shoould you move??"  Jed consider this for a moment, and says, "Yeaaah, I reckon you're right; a man'd be a dang fool to leave all this!"

Now, I don't generally use TV shows as sermon fodder, but sometimes, the example is so excellent you just can't pass it up! to the Clampettes, they were rich folks-they had all the wanted and were content-they couldn't imagine anything better. And even when they arrived at their homw in beverly Hills, it was so big at first they thought it was a prison, and when they found it was their home, they thought the upstairs must be for someone else.

Our "mansion" may not be a mansion as we think of it today but what we will have is going to be so amazing that we can't begin to conceive of it. The Bible uses terms like mansion, like gold for the city and the streets, and crowns, not becuase they will be literal, (possibly, though they crtainly can be), but becuase to us they represent the most excellent things we can imagine here-in eternity, what there will be will be the most excellent in eternity-it may truoly be gold so purified that it is transparent-I se no reason to believe otherwise, but even if not, it will certainly be amazing and beyond our comprehension today.

Sorry, kind of got on a roll there.

• Members

In my Father house are many Mansions........I go to prepare a Place for you.. 

Does a Place equate to a Mansion??  Will we need a physical place to live in?? Will our "new" body require certain substances for survival?? Will we require sleep and rest??

So many questions with no answers NOW; but, they will be revealed when we get Home.

Without Faith it is impossible to please God.

• Moderators

Draw a house, say 800 sq ft (74 1/3 sq m). Now add lean-to additions for each of your 10 boys to move into. Now try to design where their boys' "mansions" (maybe a total of 40-60) will be built.

Unless this mansion is temporary until a more permanent structure can be built. If that's the case, what comes after our mansion in Jn 14? That's why I have a prOBlem with it.

• Members

Draw a house, say 800 sq ft (74 1/3 sq m). Now add lean-to additions for each of your 10 boys to move into. Now try to design where their boys' "mansions" (maybe a total of 40-60) will be built.

Unless this mansion is temporary until a more permanent structure can be built. If that's the case, what comes after our mansion in Jn 14? That's why I have a prOBlem with it.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying or who you're addressing.

As for me, I certainly believe our mansions will be permanent; I could be wrong, but I believe they are part of the New Jerusalem...but that's just me...I certainly can't prove that.

• Moderators

As for me, I certainly believe our mansions will be permanent; I could be wrong, but I believe they are part of the New Jerusalem...but that's just me...I certainly can't prove that.

I was referring to the "Espoused Jewish men built a structure onto Daddy's house" thing (yes, I've heard it before). The prOBlem being when you try to get it to work (as my mention above about the design attempt). Even if it was as large (doubtful) as 28 ft (8.5 m) on each side your 10 boys (see example above) have 9-14 feet of working width each for their "mansion". When they 4-6 boys (your 40-60 grandsons have to build their "mansions", how much space do they have (can you even get them all connected to their Dad's homes??).

I wasn't saying you agreed with what you heard, I was giving my reason to question the "lean-to mansion" theory.

• Members

2 Corinthians 5:1-2

1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle ((BODY)) were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house((New Body)) which is from heaven:

• Members

1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

• Members

1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

Could this be "In my Father's house are many............. . Is the Father's house the entire heaven, where God abides???

• Members

Could this be "In my Father's house are many............. . Is the Father's house the entire heaven, where God abides???

Each christian gets a new heavenly body to cover their spirit at death or rapture. Our spiritual body will be put on over our resurrected earthly body and the two bodies will become one.