• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dark Energy v. The Void: What if Copernicus was Wrong?

• Members

Dark energy is at the heart of one of the greatest mysteries of modern physics, but it may be nothing more than an illusion, according physicists at Oxford University. The problem facing astrophysicists is that they have to explain why the universe appears to be expanding at an ever increasing rate. The most popular explanation is that some sort of force is pushing the accelerating the universe's expansion. That force is generally attributed to a mysterious dark energy.

http://www.physorg.com/news141617439.html

• Members

The jury is still out on this matter of dark energy/matter. We should wait on this one. I don't have a problem with an expanding universe. That expansion is, however, the result of God's stretching the universe according to His Word (i.e. Psalm 104:2). This concept could well explain why the stars and galaxies are so distant now and why they could have been much closer in ancient time.

One of the most intriguing things that has happened in modern science is the fact that all of the NASA satellites that left the solar system within the last few years are...(prepare yourself for this) slowing down! Scientists are dumbfounded as to why Pioneer 9 & 10, Voyager I & II have all slowed down after leaving the edge of the solar system. I am really keeping my eye on that one. So radical are the implications of this phenomenon that some scientists have suggested that the physics textbooks may have to be re-written because of it.

But we know as Christians that in the end of things that the Creator God and what He has done is the ultimate answer to all the mysteries and at bottom line His Word will be vinidicated as the true explanation for our world as it is.

images.jpg

• Members

It could be that the universe is shrinking at a massive rate, we have only a couple years left, and they don't know it. Red shift blue shift is going off the theory that all light coming off stars is uniform, and if it's red shift it's moving away, blue shift it's getting closer. This is, only a theory.

Second, they don't know that stars are what they say they are. Alpha Century, the star they say is closest to us, even with the hubble our best telescope is only a dot of light. All you can do is tell us about the light. You can expound theories and such, which they do, but in the end: it's a dot of light and you can tell me about that light.

For all we know, the night sky is full of points of light that are spot lights held by angels pointed at earth.

Could be that the stuff we have that has left our solar system has sped up really really fast, but so has their transmissions giving the illusion of slowing down.

Could be our universe is not much bigger then the solar system, the stars are nothing more then holes punched in the black paper God used to sphere us in, and the only source of gravity is our solar system and that's why they are slowing down.

In the end, read the stuff for the data, ignore the "conclusions"

• Members
In the end' date=' read the stuff for the data, ignore the 'conclusions'.[/quote']
Trouble with that approach is, if you didn't draw conclusions about what you perceive, you'd never be able to form an opinion, a belief, or a faith.

Hope all well with you, Qwerty Guy. I keep asking you why you don't post on here much anymore, and you never get back to me.

• Members

We know it's all in the hands of God and a part of His design. We also know how the earth comes to its end/new beginning as well.

The Word of God tells us that man's wisdom is foolishness and God delights in confounding the wise. :Green

Our God has a sense of humor and I actually enjoy the many stories that come up from time to time where something is suddenly discovered that proves "long accepted theories" to be totally wrong.

Isn't it great when man declares something to be extinct and then "poof", the "extinct" creature is found to be still living today.

It's still amazing that according to scientific theory a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly...yet they obviously do. :tum

• Members

To clarify, I was talking about ignoring the conclusions put forth by others. Many times you'll read something published, that is nothing but the opinions and conclusions of the scientist, or even the reporter, and you don't even get any facts. When they do provide data, that's what should be focused in on and the speculation by the writer can be dismissed. For example, it may be a data fact that the light coming from a star leans toward the red end of the visible spectrum. The speculation is that the star is moving away from us, is 200 billion light years away, is about 4 times bigger then our sun, might have 2 big planets around it, and one might be able to support life!

All that, they try and conclude, from a little dot of slightly red light that wobbles now and then. It could be a spot light for all they know.

(I'm not on much because I'm very busy. I post even less then I'm on, simply because when I find the time to come I usually end up booting around the site reading. It should slow down for me when the snow hits, until then....)