• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Understanding Hebrews -2

• Members

The little church I preached at in Nebraska had been under the control of a Church of Christ college which had been supplying them with bible students as preachers.  Convincing the members of the church of eternal security and of possessing eternal life from the time of the new birth was my biggest OBstacle in my year there.  No matter how much I stressed it in sermons or conversations, some just could not accept that Jesus' and the Father's promises really meant what they said.  Their interpretation of a passage in the book of Hebrews was there main OBstacle.  Heb 6:4-6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
KJV

They would say, "See it says right there, you can lose your salvation".  There are some who will not be convinced by the truth no matter how it is presented but will gladly be convinced by the arguments of Arminius and his followers.  It is heart breaking.  God offers so much and some want to accept so little.

God bless,

Larry

Oh, no!  Well, I suppose God is preparing me to talk with CoC people, as he is moving us to an area where CoC is prevalent.  I am used to talking to Roman Catholics, Charismatics and Muslims about the Bible.  I will have to switch gears.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back to the principles of the Word of God - he's quoted the prophets & shown how we must learn from them. Those who did not trust Moses perished in the wilderness. Now you must trust Jesus who speaks as God to man:

4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may OBtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God - the 2-edged sword proceeding from mouth of Christ. I tend to think that "the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow," means dividing our spiritual being from the physical - a 2-way division, not 4-way, nor 6-way if we count in the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Jesus has a perfect understanding of each one of us, including our temptations & infirmities. He is our great high priest who sits on his heavenly throne. Under the old covenant, no king could act as priest. The offices were totally separate. Saul & Uzziah suffered for acting as priests. The only priest-kings were Melchisedec, & the one prophesied by Zechariah:

6:11 then take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set them upon the head of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest; 12 and speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the Lord: 13 even he shall build the temple of the Lord; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

It is no coincidence that the high priest of this prophecy has the name Joshua - Jesus. Hebrews continues by contrasting the human, mortal high priest with Jesus, our eternal, immortal great high priest. The Word of God did not end with Moses - it looks on to the Word of Jesus, who is everything man needs. Therefore: Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may OBtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

• Members

Hebrews has much to say about Melchisedec, though he has only two mentions in the OT:

Gen. 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. 19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 20 and blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Psalm 110:The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent,
Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Melchisedec is the first priest mentioned in Scripture. It's 400 years before there is mention of another, though it's OBviously prOBable that there were pagan priests, & individuals offering their own sacrifices - like Cain & Abel. Noah & Abraham acting as their own priests. Then Melchisedec appears on the scene - the priest of the most high God. He is the ONLY priest-king in the OT. The offices could not be combined. God hadn't commanded tithes yet. Later, tithes to God were received by the Levites who provided the priestly service. 

If Melchisedec  had been a human priest-king, he would have been a very significant figure alongside Abraham, but he would have been a mortal sinner, NOT an immortal a priest for ever. This is his only physical appearance. He has been discussed on the forum, but I consider him to be a pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus.  but he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. Was there a human being better/greater than Abraham, on earth at the same time, but with no significance in the revelation of God to man? Jeus himself says: 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.  

Hebrews uses Melchisedec to show that God intends a new order of priesthood to replace the "weak & unprofitable" Aaronic line. The Aaronic priests served under the old covenant - a covenant that required perfect human OBedience. Jesus is a priest of a new order & covenant: Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:) 22 by so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. [testament is a synomyn for covenant]

In his "new covenant" prophecies, Jeremiah said:

Jer. 33:15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. 16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The Lord our righteousness.

17 For thus saith the Lord; David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel; 18 neither shall the priests the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt offerings, and to kindle meat offerings, and to do sacrifice continually.

19 And the word of the Lord came unto Jeremiah, saying, 20 Thus saith the Lord; If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, and that there should not be day and night in their season; 21 then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he should not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers. 22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured: so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

Was that promise broken - & broken for the last 2,500 years? Surely not - God cannot lie. The LORD Jesus Christ is the Davidic King, & the perfect Priest & final Sacrifice. Once Jesus died there was no need for animal sacrifice, & once he ascended to was seated on his throne. And all believers are now a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. One tribe provided priestly access to God through animal sacrifice. Now one Great King & High Priest provides access for all. The new covenant in Jesus' blood completely replaces the old covenant that required repeated sacrifices.

God hasn't failed to keep the promises of Jer. 33 - he has kept them to perfection by Jesus.

• Members

The little church I preached at in Nebraska had been under the control of a Church of Christ college which had been supplying them with bible students as preachers.  Convincing the members of the church of eternal security and of possessing eternal life from the time of the new birth was my biggest OBstacle in my year there.  No matter how much I stressed it in sermons or conversations, some just could not accept that Jesus' and the Father's promises really meant what they said.  Their interpretation of a passage in the book of Hebrews was there main OBstacle.  Heb 6:4-6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
KJV

They would say, "See it says right there, you can lose your salvation".  There are some who will not be convinced by the truth no matter how it is presented but will gladly be convinced by the arguments of Arminius and his followers.  It is heart breaking.  God offers so much and some want to accept so little.

God bless,

Larry

The writer of Hebrews answers the 'doubtful' accusation of some, with these words, 'that he expected...'

"better things of you, and such as accompany salvation" (Verse 9)

The accusation of the previous subjects 'losing their salvation' is false, they were making

a mock of Jesus' sacrifice by acting 'repentant' again.

This has nothing to do with real Christians 'losing' anything!

• Members

The commandment was weak and unprofitable, not the line of Aaron.

Hebrews 7
 18  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

19  For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

It was weak in that "the law made nothing perfect". But it was the Law God gave not the Aaronic line that is referred to.

Incidentally, when you suggest that God dealt differently with people in the past, that is a form of dispensational teaching.

• Members

The (coming) New Covenant with Israel and Judah is from Jeremiah 31 and is reconfirmed in Hebrews 8.

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant

with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:8-10

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jeremiah 31:31-33

OBviously, Hebrews is written to Hebrews.  Hebrews was recopied and distributed to Synagogues throughout the Roman Empire.
The Millennial Temple in Jerusalem will be the Throne of Messiah and the Levites will serve him with (commerative) offerings and sacrifices.  Unfortunately, this has been "delayed" almost 2,000 years now.

• Members

OBviously, Hebrews is written to Hebrews.  Hebrews was recopied and distributed to Synagogues throughout the Roman Empire.

The Millennial Temple in Jerusalem will be the Throne of Messiah and the Levites will serve him with (commerative) offerings and sacrifices.  Unfortunately, this has been "delayed" almost 2,000 years now.

4th Century Catholic doctrine? (Jus' a kiddin')

• Members

The (coming) New Covenant with Israel and Judah is from Jeremiah 31 and is reconfirmed in Hebrews 8.

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant

with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:8-10

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jeremiah 31:31-33

Hebrews quotes the prophecy exactly. That does not mean he considers it yet future, any more than Peter considered Joel's prophecy to be yet future when he quoted it:

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh ....

And does the prophesied new covenant with Israel exclude Gentile believers? All families of the earth were counted in with the very first promise to Abraham. The events & discussions in Acts make it very clear that believing Gentiles are fully accepted in the church, & the church comprised both Jew & Gentile as one redeemed people of God.

Remember the way Hebrews starts his letter:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son ....

When Jesus shared the last supper with his disciples, giving them the cup with the words:

This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

he was inaugurating the prophesied New Covenant. And we drink the cup of the new testament/covenant to show our Lord's death as we wait for his coming.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.

Have you any Biblical or historical evidence to support your assertion?

I understand from Acts that there was increasing opposition to the Gospel from the Hebrews, & converted Jews were excluded from the synagogues. Jewish non-Christians would have rejected the letter from its opening words.

The giving of the Holy Spirit is how God writes the law in the hearts of believers, so that we do know the Lord as Jesus prayed in John 17:1-3 and with the Holy Spirit in our hearts & lives, we show the fruit of the Spirit.

Hebrews is NOT saying to his readers, "It's OK, there's a new covenant coming for unbelieving Hebrews, so you can ignore every thing the Apostles and the writer have said. You may have to wait thousands of years, & 100 generations of Jews die in their sins." No! He is constantly, repeatedly, impressing the urgency of immediate response - TODAY!

I won't say more at present, as I want to look at the chapter in context.

• Members

The commandment was weak and unprofitable, not the line of Aaron.

Hebrews 7
 18  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
 19  For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

It was weak in that "the law made nothing perfect". But it was the Law God gave not the Aaronic line that is referred to.

Incidentally, when you suggest that God dealt differently with people in the past, that is a form of dispensational teaching.

I see your point, but the Law failed because the priests were mortal, & sinners. And if my teaching resembles dispensational teaching in some respects, that isn't a bad thing.

The old covenant was fully inaugurated for Israel in Ex. 24. The laws were recorded in the book of the covenant, the people professed their OBedience, and the sacrificial blood of the covenant was sprinkled on them. The elders then had a glorious sight of the God of Israel. That event is quoted in Hebrews 9. The detailed regulations for the tabernacle & the priesthood are then given in Exodus, but even before they are implemented, the sin of high priest designate, Aaron, & the people require stern rebuke for the golden calf idolatory. Exo. 32. All the old covenant regulations given through Moses were doomed to fail, as they are implemented by sinners. Clearly a New Covenant was needed, secured by a sinless one, which brings us to Jeremiah 31-33 & on to Hebrews 8. Hebrews repeatedly uses "better" to emphasise the contrast between old & new.

If we recognise a covenant as a promise ratified by a blood sacrifice, we can see the sacrifice of Isaac as a covenant. Abraham, in OBedience to God, offered his son. Isaac was redeemed by the ram God provided, & God then promised:

Gen. 22:15 And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, 16 and said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: 17 that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; 18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast OBeyed my voice.

Abraham's descendants will be multiplied & blessed, & in his seed (singular) shall all the nations of the earth be blessed. Paul saw that promise as a covenant:

Gal. 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. 16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Thus God made a covenant promise to Abraham, not only that his descendants would be multiplied & blessed, but the Gentile nations would also be blessed. There was no provision for blessing the nations under the Law. Israel was commanded to keep separate.

Acts records how the Apostles & Jewish Christians struggled to accept inclusion of the Gentiles in the church, but after Cornelius they agreed: they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. Even then there was need for a further conference in Acts 15, & the conclusion:

13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written, 16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: 17 that the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. 18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. 19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 but that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Clearly Gentile Christians were fully accepted in the Apostolic church, with instructions not to offend the Jews by a carryover of pagan practices. Paul was careful to implement this & gives detailed advice in Rom. 14.

So, Jew & Gentile believers are to become one redeemed people of God, one church family. It was a hard lesson for the Jews to learn, as we see in Paul's journeys & letters. And it seems too that there was still a strong feeling among the Jews that they could believe in Jesus as Messiah, and still believe in Moses & the practices of the Law. Hebrews repeatedly addresses these "looking both ways" Jews. They MUST make their decision, TODAY! They cannot hold on to the old covenant, while accepting Jesus as Messiah. There is a New Covenant.

Elijah addressed the Jews on mount Carmel:

1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

• Members

As we come into chapter 8, Hebrews reminds his readers that all the works & promises they are trusting in are inferior to all that Jesus is. Jesus is better in every way. They trust in the covenant relationship promised to Abraham & confirmed through Moses. Like the Pharisees in John 8, it seems they are confident in their physical descent from Abraham, & their compliance with the Law of Moses, but, unlike the Pharisees, look to Jesus to help.

No! There are too many "ifs" in that covenant. OBedience is required. You need a better covenant, & God promised a New Covenant through Jeremiah. That new covenant is here, given by Jesus, whose perfect OBedience for your sakes secures your covenant relationship. It is quoted in the future tense because Jeremiah wrote it in the future tense. At the last supper, Jesus gave his disciples the cup of wine to share, with the words:

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

The New Covenant is in the blood of Jesus, the blood shed on Calvary. The scapegoat was driven into the wilderness, never to be seen again. Jesus, our scapegoat, crucified outside the city, rose victorious from the dead, fully vindicated, his sacrifice for us fully accepted by his Father. He was seen alive by many, with many infallible proofs.

You haven't got a choice - the Old Covenant is finished, superceded by the New. Cling to the old, & the new will not benefit you - you are in effect saying that the animal sacrifices are better than the sacrifice of Jesus.  

Now, what exactly is the New Covenant ?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sorry I've taken a long time to get back to this thread.

What is a covenant?

Basically God promises protection in a special relationship, sometimes on condition of OBedience and sometimes unconditionally. .

God explains in Lev. 26:

9 For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful , and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you. 10 And ye shall eat old store , and bring forth the old because of the new. 11 And I will set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you. 12 And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people. 13 I am the LORD your God, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, that ye should not be their bondmen; and I have broken the bands of your yoke, and made you go upright.

We see that covenant perfectly realised in Rev. 21:

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying , Behold , the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Sadly, there was an "IF" condition to the old covenant:

14 But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments; 15 And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant: 16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it. 17 And I will set my face against you ........

Hebrews 8:6-13  contrasts the  old & new covenants. Paul assures the Corinthians that the new covenant in the blood of Jesus includes Gentile believers. We too are his people.

1 Cor. 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 And when he had given thanks , he brake it, and said , Take , eat : this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped , saying , This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye , as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come .

2 Cor. 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate , saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

God made the old covenant conditional on the OBedience of the people of Israel. They failed. The new covenant is conditional only on the perfect OBedience of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Believers in Jesus are in that new covenant relationship with God. We inherit all the promises made under the old covenant by the merit of Jesus. Again Paul reassures us:

2 Cor. 1:19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea. 20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. 21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Gal. 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

• Members
 Remember the way Hebrews starts his letter:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son ....

When Jesus shared the last supper with his disciples, giving them the cup with the words:

This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

he was inaugurating the prophesied New Covenant. And we drink the cup of the new testament/covenant to show our Lord's death as we wait for his coming.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.

Have you any Biblical or historical evidence to support your assertion?

I understand from Acts that there was increasing opposition to the Gospel from the Hebrews, & converted Jews were excluded from the synagogues. Jewish non-Christians would have rejected the letter from its opening words.

Hebrews ch. 1-12 is NOT a letter, it is a "sermon" - chapter 13 is an addendum, which later allowed copying and distribution to synagogues throughout the Roman Empire.

Hebrews ch. 1-12 was delivered in front of synagogue "assemblies" as a sermon, by believers such as Apollos and other "eloquent" Jewish believers.  There were no organized "Christian churches" at that time.

The only organized religious "assemblies" (ekklesia) were the Jewish synagogues, and the message of the Gospel was first delivered to the local synagogue.  Later, there were "home churches" for believers.

All you have to do is read Hebrews 1-12 as a unified whole, beginning with "God" and ending with "our God is a consuming fire", to see the eloquence displayed.  It is regarded as the finest example of polished Koine Greek.

• Members

Hebrews ch. 1-12 is NOT a letter, it is a "sermon" - chapter 13 is an addendum, which later allowed copying and distribution to synagogues throughout the Roman Empire.

Hebrews ch. 1-12 was delivered in front of synagogue "assemblies" as a sermon, by believers such as Apollos and other "eloquent" Jewish believers.  There were no organized "Christian churches" at that time.

The only organized religious "assemblies" (ekklesia) were the Jewish synagogues, and the message of the Gospel was first delivered to the local synagogue.  Later, there were "home churches" for believers.

All you have to do is read Hebrews 1-12 as a unified whole, beginning with "God" and ending with "our God is a consuming fire", to see the eloquence displayed.  It is regarded as the finest example of polished Koine Greek.

Let the Holy Bible explain "ekklēsia" it makes things much clearer. 

Mat 16:18

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Act 5:11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Act 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Act 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Act 8:3 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Act 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

Act 11:22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.

Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Act 12:1 Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church.

Act 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Act 14:23 And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

Act 14:27 And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles.

Act 15:3 And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.

Act 15:4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.

Act 15:22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:

Act 15:41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.

Act 16:5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Act 18:22 And when he had landed at Caesarea, and gone up, and saluted the church, he went down to Antioch.

Act 19:32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.

Act 19:39 But if ye enquire any thing concerning other matters, it shall be determined in a lawful assembly.

Act 19:41 And when he had thus spoken, he dismissed the assembly.

Act 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.

Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:

Rom 16:4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

Rom 16:5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

Rom 16:16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

Rom 16:23 Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.

1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

1Co 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

1Co 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

1Co 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

1Co 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

1Co 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

1Co 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under OBedience, as also saith the law.

1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1Co 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

1Co 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

1Co 16:19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

2Co 8:1 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;

2Co 8:18 And we have sent with him the brother, whose praise is in the gospel throughout all the churches;

2Co 8:19 And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:

2Co 8:23 Whether any do enquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be enquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ.

2Co 8:24 Wherefore shew ye to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love, and of our boasting on your behalf.

2Co 11:8 I rOBbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.

2Co 11:28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

2Co 12:13 For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong.

Gal 1:2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

Gal 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

Gal 1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:

Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Phl 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Phl 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Col 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

Col 4:16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

1Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Th 2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:

2Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

1Ti 3:5

(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

1Ti 5:16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

Phm 1:2 And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Heb 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Jamas 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

3Jo 1:6 Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well:

3Jo 1:9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

3Jo 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

Rev 1:4

John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Rev 2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Rev 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Rev 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Rev 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

Rev 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Rev 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Rev 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Rev 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

Rev 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Archived