• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Understanding Hebrews -2

• Members

To continue .... quoting & adding to my post.

The concept of a priesthood centred on Aaron was not welcomed by Korah & other leaders of the congregation. Numbers 16:1-3 It seems they were quoting the covenant relationship promise of Exo. 19:5-6 but forget the "if." Their rebellion was used as a warning by Jude. Jude 1:10-13

Now Hebrews is facing the situation of a divided loyalty - Moses OR Jesus Christ? The Law prescribed dreadful penalties for disOBeying Moses, yet Jesus is presented as the Son of God, superceding & vastly superior to the prophets. Heb. 1:1-2.

Hebrews is uncompromising - Jesus Christ is the one.

That is a challenge that faces us all - self or Christ. God has an order of service & we are all servants of one another in Christ's service. Korah envied Aaron, & rebelled - & suffered the penalty. 

The choice the Jews/Hebrews faced in the Apostolic times was particularly challenging & comes up repeatedly in Acts. Moses or Christ, but in fact those who insisted they were Moses' disciples were concerned for their own position of authority. They rejected God's authority, even in the light of the resurrection of his Son.

Now Hebrews proceeds to remonstrate with them using Psalm 95:7-11 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found Beameup's verses that he picked quite leaning the proper way.

And I do not see that what he was saying was in those verses. Those are the very one's that stood out to me last eve.

I know it was chapter 8:7-10, but he should've added verse 6 to it and he would have understood it clearer and read the rest of the verses too.

Jesus Christ was a mediator of a better testament/covenant, established on better promises! That is the gospel!

And, in the last verse, #13, he dis-values the first testament, the one with the previous promise.

Chapter 9:15 is a wonderful verse also, telling what the Lord did as mediator, that his new promise would be the 'promise of eternal inheritance'! 

Also, as I read Jeremiah 31:32, this section has something added, that is not in Heb. 8:9.

This phrase about Israel - she 'brake' the covenant! Which means it is null and void.

And there are two houses here, Israel and Judah. They are not back together yet.

So the 'new covenant/testament' happens during them both existing at the same time.

Not as one house.

Yet.

• Members

I'm glad you are continuing this walk through Hebrews. I was enjoying the other thread before it became hijacked.

Hebrews is a very important book with much meat. One of the best Bible studies I attended in recent years was covering the book of Hebrews. Our associate pastor did an excellent jOB with that study and the participation and edification among us all was most worth the time.

Hebrews address many issues that we see continually cropping up in other NT books. If we don't study and understand Hebrews, we are missing a lot.

• Members

Hebrews 3-4 teaches lessons from Numbers 13-14. God was about to fulfil his promises to Abraham by leading the people into the promised land. They saw it, and the existing inhabitants, and their faith failed them. That generation died in the wilderness during the next 40 years. They didn't receive the promises. 

We don't know how many used that time of tabernacle worship, provision of manna and providential care to come to a living faith in God, but we know they didn't receive the earthly promises. They didn't receive the promised rest.

Psalm 95 reflects on that sad experience, and gives a prophetic warning. Hear his voice TODAY. Hebrews takes up that Psalm and applies it to his readers in chapters 3-4. He knew from Jesus' Olivet prophecy that time was running out for that generation. About 40 years from Calvary to the prophesied destruction. The time is coming when there will be no temple for worship according to the Mosaic law. Come to Jesus TODAY. Hebrews 2:3 3:7-8 3:13-15 4:7-11 Note that Jesus in v. 8 refers to Joshua and the rest he led them to in the promised land. 

Worship of God must and will be in Spirit and in truth as Jesus told the Samaritan woman in John 4.

• Members

I'm glad you are continuing this walk through Hebrews. I was enjoying the other thread before it became hijacked.

Hebrews is a very important book with much meat. One of the best Bible studies I attended in recent years was covering the book of Hebrews. Our associate pastor did an excellent jOB with that study and the participation and edification among us all was most worth the time.

Hebrews address many issues that we see continually cropping up in other NT books. If we don't study and understand Hebrews, we are missing a lot.

I took several courses in a Bible institute several years ago.  The Book of Hebrews is my favorite, along with John and Romans.  I simply do not understand why Christians have a hard time grasping this book.  I have met many charismatics that have prOBlems understanding Hebrews.  I have tried to explain, but I don't know if they understood, as they constantly harped on many things addressed in this beautiful book.

• Members

In Heb. 3 & 4, the author takes up Psalm 95 regarding the promised rest.

Heb. 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Unbelievers do not enter that rest, but believers do, by faith in Jesus.

For if Jesus (Joshua) had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I don't think Hebrews is talking about rest in glory, but contrasting the rest in the promised land with the spiritual rest we have when we come to Jesus. The rest we have in Jesus Christ is far superior to the rest Joshua was able to give when he led the people into the promised land.

Mat. 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

• Members

Do we need expertise on Judaism to understand the Scriptures, particularly Hebrews? I think not. We need to be well-read in the inspired Scriptures so that we can read with understanding of both the Word & the context, & cross-reference to related passages to understand the force of what is being written.

Hebrews does explain the rituals & High Priestly office he is teaching about.

I submit that those who practise Judaism do NOT understand the Scriptures. If they did, they would be Christians.  That is what Hebrews is all about - do not cling to Judaism & the Mosaic Law because those sacrifices & rituals cannot save. Turn to Jesus, the Son of God, through whom God has given his Word for these last days. Heb. 2:1-4

Edited to remove quote.

• Members

Heb 3:6

But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we,

if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Conclusion: if we do not "hold fast the confidence" we are not his "house".

Heb 3:14

For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Conclusion: if we do not "hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end" then we are not "partakers of Christ".

Heb 4:11

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Conclusion: if we don't labor, we cannot enter into God's "rest".

I guess we are not eternally  "saved by grace through faith, without works" afterall, it would seem.

• Members

Heb 3:6

Heb 3:14

For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Conclusion: if we do not "hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end" then we are not "partakers of Christ".

Heb 4:11

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I guess we are not  "saved by grace through faith, without works" afterall.

Are you being facetious or serious with that last comment that you underlined?

• Members

1.  Heb 3:6

2.  Heb 3:14

3.  Heb 4:11

I guess we are not  "saved by grace through faith, without works" afterall.

1.  Looking at your 'thinking' here, you seem to 'misjudge' the intent of the passage.

It's not that someone needs to 'cling in fear of losing something' (like you imply, from my view.)

It is to focus on this phrase: "confidence and rejoicing of the hope"

Not for salvation, it is 'keeping your attitude in check properly, at all times, till the end.

We are OBviously not saved by 'confidence'. Yet to show our testimony, we need to be confident

in front of others on purpose, so that they may believe our testimony. Consistency is the key.

2.  Being a 'partaker' is being active in our faith, not a salvation thing at all. The testimony of a saved child of God

is the same all the way through their spiritual life til physical death, and we are encouraged to

keep that testimony alive and kicking, on purpose. Example: Hebrews 4:12 - when people say they are saved by 'the word of God'

here are some 'facts' - the word of God is 'powerful', or as my Bible says 'mighty in operation', and can only operate

when it is used. Whether 'read', 'preached', or 'taught'. It has to be 'taken up and used' to have an effect.

For the word of God to not 'return void', it has to be used. When it sits on the shelf, it does nothing.

It is the same thing with us. If we don't 'act' the part, we don't show the part, therefore to others we are not the part.

Being consistent is the issue here.

3.  Labor is not a work here, it is a nature. We are new creatures, let us act like it.

Once again the word of the Lord asking for consistency.

You are questioning these things amiss. I guess you have a reason for this, prOBably to say this isn't for the church?

But exclusively for the 'Jews'?

• Members

Beameup

I'm trying to understand your point. I think it's the "standard" prOBlem with Hebrews - loss of salvation, that is not possible in this Gospel "dispensation" therefore it's a future dispensation ???

Or, is eternal security of believers true, or is there a better understanding of Hebrews? Further, does Paul teach similar loss of salvation? 

Hebrews also teaches eternal security Hebrews 7:25 

• Members

Beameup

I'm trying to understand your point. I think it's the "standard" prOBlem with Hebrews - loss of salvation, that is not possible in this Gospel "dispensation" therefore it's a future dispensation ???

Or, is eternal security of believers true, or is there a better understanding of Hebrews? Further, does Paul teach similar loss of salvation? 

Hebrews also teaches eternal security Hebrews 7:25 

Loss of salvation is the prOBlem I have explaining things to charismatics, Covenanter.  The Book of Hebrews is written to the Jew and Gentile believers, alike.  You hit the nail with Hebrews 7:25 on eternal security; however, charismatics still argue that scripture with me.   :puzzled3: 

Hebrews 11:8-10 are among my most favorite verses in the Bible.  Hebrews 11 talks about the just living by faith.  The "Hall of Faith" is also found in Hebrews 11.

'My Life Verse' - "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith: who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." ~ Hebrews 12:2

II Corinthians 5:21 also connects well with Hebrews 12:2.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." ~ II Corinthians 5:21

• Members

The little church I preached at in Nebraska had been under the control of a Church of Christ college which had been supplying them with bible students as preachers.  Convincing the members of the church of eternal security and of possessing eternal life from the time of the new birth was my biggest OBstacle in my year there.  No matter how much I stressed it in sermons or conversations, some just could not accept that Jesus' and the Father's promises really meant what they said.  Their interpretation of a passage in the book of Hebrews was there main OBstacle.  Heb 6:4-6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
KJV

They would say, "See it says right there, you can lose your salvation".  There are some who will not be convinced by the truth no matter how it is presented but will gladly be convinced by the arguments of Arminius and his followers.  It is heart breaking.  God offers so much and some want to accept so little.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

The little church I preached at in Nebraska had been under the control of a Church of Christ college which had been supplying them with bible students as preachers.  Convincing the members of the church of eternal security and of possessing eternal life from the time of the new birth was my biggest OBstacle in my year there.  No matter how much I stressed it in sermons or conversations, some just could not accept that Jesus' and the Father's promises really meant what they said.  Their interpretation of a passage in the book of Hebrews was there main OBstacle.  Heb 6:4-6

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
KJV

They would say, "See it says right there, you can lose your salvation".  There are some who will not be convinced by the truth no matter how it is presented but will gladly be convinced by the arguments of Arminius and his followers.  It is heart breaking.  God offers so much and some want to accept so little.

God bless,

Larry

That passage in Heb. 6 is of course a primary passage for rejecting eternal security - despite Heb. 7:25 which they refute by arguing that he is able - if we let him. That's back to what beameup posted from Heb. 3 & 4. And that is why I sought to understand Hebrews from the beginning, rather than deal with prOBlem passages, or to study it from a dispensational viewpoint - for Israel in the millennium. Incidentally, I haven't referred to any commentaries for this study, as I wanted to see what we could get from Scripture alone.

We need to begin Heb. 6 in 2:1-4.

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disOBedience received a just recompence of reward; how shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

These Jewish wavering Christians had heard Jesus & witnessed his miracles. They had heard the Apostles & had it seems, believed. But were they disappointed? Where was King Jesus leading them to military victories? Christian Jews were facing severe persecution from the Jewish authorities. The choice was stark - follow Jesus & suffer, or go back to following those who claimed to represent Moses perhaps hoping that their confession of faith & baptism in the name of Jesus would save them. 

Rather like today's "believism" gospel - that you can be saved without following Jesus as Lord. NOT !

It could be truly said of those 1st C Jewish Christians that they actually "were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,"

They had lived through the "Acts of the Apostles;"  they had felt the guilt of rejecting their Messiah, & professed repentance & been baptised. They MUST NOT rest on past experience, but only on Jesus. After that great chapter on faith, Hebrews encourages his readers:

12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Archived