• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Don't Call This An Independent Baptist Forum

• Members

It's a horrible witness to saved and unsaved alike.

The sad thing is that many, if not most, do not give a thought about it before posting.  I think that it plays into the Devil's hands.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sin works in favor of the devil.

It's one thing to have the excuse of being caught up in the heat of the moment when having a face-to-face discussion (not a valid one, but at least an excuse) but when it comes to posting on an internet forum there is no excuse to post in a sinful manner.

If ones flesh is rising up, don't post! Take time to pray. Get the flesh in check. Then come back to OB and post.

"Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:11

• Members

Which indicates more that these people are with an agenda.

It is easy to claim the name.......

A person can call himself a mandarin but all it makes him is a liar or an idiot - not a mandarin.......

• Members

I'm a little nervous about replying in this thread, and wasn't going to at all, but realized that the reason I joined this forum in the first place was to have uplifting, enjoyable conversations with like minded Baptists. That hasn't actually happened. I forgot exactly how long I've been a member, but I haven't really enjoyed this site like I thought I would. I have commented in a few threads, but for the most part I've been disappointed in this site. At first I was excited about getting involved, especially in the missions forum, but that forum is practically non-existent. Over the last few months I've been just reading, rarely commenting because I was afraid to. Afraid to comment because I thought I might be attacked for my opinion or beliefs. On a site that says it's IFB, I'm afraid to talk about my IFB beliefs. 

There have been numerous times I start reading a thread and an interesting, civilized debate starts and I really want to get involved in it because it's interesting and the people are responding to points they don't agree with with scripture and kind words. However I don't get involved in the thread because of similar threads that go downhill into name calling. Sure enough I'll log in the next day and that thread will have gone the same way. Someone is unable or unwilling to respond civilly to something they disagree with and the thread goes to pot, completely worthless for learning, edification, or anything. The same thing happens with threads that are started for conversation purposes on a specific subject, people can't simply talk about it, they have to furiously debate it as if tomorrow won't come if they don't. I know there are certain topics people will never see eye-to-eye on, but to attack someone because they don't share your opinion...come on now, that's not only childish but unbecoming of a Christian as well. This site is quickly losing it's Christian testimony, and I think everyone, myself included, needs to stop and think before hitting the 'reply' button or before starting a new thread.

It's really sad that now the only thread I'm comfortable responding in is the 'what's for dinner' thread....I can get conversation like that on the dog forum I'm a part of.

I don't know the right answer for any of this, I just wanted to get involved in uplifting, edifying, challenging, interesting, good biblical/scriptural conversations with like minded folks. I rarely get that chance in real life or internet forums and thought I'd found it here, but I was sadly mistaken.

• Members

When you have people standing up for the truth of God's word against those who twist it like a slinky it is going to get a little ugly. I'd rather see that than no one saying anything and error goes unchallenged.

I also vote for Dr. Ach as head moderator :) that makes 2

• Moderators

I'm a little nervous about replying in this thread, and wasn't going to at all, but realized that the reason I joined this forum in the first place was to have uplifting, enjoyable conversations with like minded Baptists. That hasn't actually happened. I forgot exactly how long I've been a member, but I haven't really enjoyed this site like I thought I would. I have commented in a few threads, but for the most part I've been disappointed in this site. At first I was excited about getting involved, especially in the missions forum, but that forum is practically non-existent. Over the last few months I've been just reading, rarely commenting because I was afraid to. Afraid to comment because I thought I might be attacked for my opinion or beliefs. On a site that says it's IFB, I'm afraid to talk about my IFB beliefs. 

There have been numerous times I start reading a thread and an interesting, civilized debate starts and I really want to get involved in it because it's interesting and the people are responding to points they don't agree with with scripture and kind words. However I don't get involved in the thread because of similar threads that go downhill into name calling. Sure enough I'll log in the next day and that thread will have gone the same way. Someone is unable or unwilling to respond civilly to something they disagree with and the thread goes to pot, completely worthless for learning, edification, or anything. The same thing happens with threads that are started for conversation purposes on a specific subject, people can't simply talk about it, they have to furiously debate it as if tomorrow won't come if they don't. I know there are certain topics people will never see eye-to-eye on, but to attack someone because they don't share your opinion...come on now, that's not only childish but unbecoming of a Christian as well. This site is quickly losing it's Christian testimony, and I think everyone, myself included, needs to stop and think before hitting the 'reply' button or before starting a new thread.

It's really sad that now the only thread I'm comfortable responding in is the 'what's for dinner' thread....I can get conversation like that on the dog forum I'm a part of.

I don't know the right answer for any of this, I just wanted to get involved in uplifting, edifying, challenging, interesting, good biblical/scriptural conversations with like minded folks. I rarely get that chance in real life or internet forums and thought I'd found it here, but I was sadly mistaken.

PrOBably one of the best comments concerning the recent degeneration of OB.

When you mix into a forum Hyles advocates, Ruckman advocates, Cloud advocates, Anderson advocates and Independent Baptists who have never head of any of the aforementioned men you can expect a LARGE potential for  clash, disagreement and even bickering.

To resort to name calling because of being "out debated" or to resort to name calling as a form of "crowing" because you felt that you "won" are equally wicked.

Let's not forget the "it's been 24 hrs and nothing has been done yet" tirade like that's a long time or something.

Am I, as a mod, not here enough? May be, but that's up to Bro. Matt.

When he was asking for new mods he didn't get applications from most of the bellyachers, they just think they ought to complain about how the jOB they didn't request is being done.

Perhaps we (Bro Matt and mods) should be harder and quicker on those that violate the following rules:

8) Be nice to the Moderators
a) The moderators are here to make everyone's visit more enjoyable, so if you experience any prOBlems with abusive users, please tell a moderator.

9) We will not allow the following

** Online Baptist is a place for fellowship, disagreements you may have with others should not be handled here.
c) Members that come just to argue doctrine instead of fellowship.

As for tithe, rapture timing, Lord's table participation, etc -- you will notice there is NOTHING in the rules concerning these discussions.

That is by Bro Matt's choice.

btw -- Candlelight, who is the other non pre-trib mod??

There are times when people won't let a controversy lay after it's been dropped half-way civilly (Jerry's done it, Standing's done it, Ach's done it Candle's done it, etc.). Some seem to like to stir up trouble (Jeffery's done it, TGL's done it, etc). Everyone has an off day and I don't think Bro Matt wants that tight of a reign kept but things have definitely progressed past that point.

FWIW there is active discussion taking place about immediate damage control (maybe a "time-out" on some folks to let them cool down) and longer term corrections.

Remember -- this is NOT a church. If Bro Matt chooses female mods (or any other mod you don't like) deal with it or leave with it. If he's wrong don't compound prOBlems with your sharp tongue.

• Members

For the record, the only thing is have written to BroMatt over the last several weeks concerning moderation has been the lack of it during North America's night hours.

I was not complaining to him about any current moderators, as I know this would be their sleeping hours. My concern was the need of moderators who are up at this time. Maybe, just maybe, the troll prOBlem would not have been so bad as it has been. If no moderators, a nightly shutdown could be a solution. But then, that would be to the disadvantage of our members who live on the other side of the glOBe.

I PM'd BroMatt with a possible solution to trolls, but would rather not post it in public. I am sure if he feels it valid, he will take appropriate action.

• Members

Galatians 4:16 (KJV)
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

I chuckled at you posting this verse.  Telling the truth is one thing.  Taking us by the neck, knocking us over the head, shoving words against the tithe in our mouths and ears.  Shoving them in our hats.  Cutiing us open and cleaning us out so you can shove words against the tithe in our bodies and then sewing us back up and shoving the words in our clothing.  Then hanging us on a pole in a field so if any unsuspecting Christian should fly by, they will be forewarned that "preaching positive about the tithe is heresy and any idiot should know that fact"!  Having your status updates about the tithe.  Having your own website/forum about the tithe.  Is that what you really consider telling us the truth????????? 

• Members

Oh, and don't forget to blast me for preaching the truth on my Facebook page, my Twitter account, and in the eyes of God.

Thank you

Matthew 5:11-12 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

• Members

If you believe me to be wrong, prove me wrong with Scripture.  If you have no proof, then don't accuse me I am wrong until you have the proof that I am.

This is one of the things that Dr Ach and others are complaining about.  Those bearing the truth are blasted with false accusations and those who teach contrary to the Word are accepted and their false doctrine is accepted. 

• Members

Pilate did his best to act as moderator but the pack of wolves howled him down.

Paul fared somewhat better with the Roman centurions as moderators.

Acts 23:10 And when there arose a great dissension, the chief captain, fearing lest Paul should have been pulled in pieces of them, commanded the soldiers to go down, and to take him by force from among them, and to bring him into the castle.

11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

• Members

If you believe me to be wrong, prove me wrong with Scripture.  If you have no proof, then don't accuse me I am wrong until you have the proof that I am.

This is one of the things that Dr Ach and others are complaining about.  Those bearing the truth are blasted with false accusations and those who teach contrary to the Word are accepted and their false doctrine is accepted. 

????  Who said I believe you to be wrong??   Who accused you of being wrong??  What is the false accusations I am being accused of making towards you??  What false doctrine am I spreading??? 

Archived