• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Incense At Weddings

• Members

Incense is a physical representation, to us, that our prayers are a "sweet savor" unto God.
Incense puts out a delightful smell.
Incense smoke goes upward.
Etc.

It has nothing to do with ceremonial Jewish Law, which has been abolished.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Incense means different things to different people.

Some incense is horrid smelling!

Most smoke goes upward.

For some, it does have to do with ceremonial Jewish Law; for others it has different religious meanings, for yet others, it may have a wide variety of beliefs or thoughts behind it.

• Members

I wouldn't use incense for one simple reason...

When I was a teenager, I had never even heard of incense until I heard some of the people who used marijuana talking about how they used incense to cover the smell of marijuana in their rooms at home. Ever since then, I've associated incense with drug use.

...but that's me.

• Moderators

Incense and scented candles are absolute, inviolable, unquestionable taboo in our house --- no if, and or but!!!!!!!!!!!!   :hide:

My wife's allergic to them.       :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Before much of what they sold became illegal, back in the early 80s there was an odd little store in a small city not far from here that sold lots of drug paraphernalia (along with a lot of oddities) and they had a huge collection of incense. Not only that, but they had incense burning so the whole store smelled like that stuff.

I only visited that store once with a friend (we were just curious as to what they had in there, neither of us did drugs) and since then my first thought when I hear of incense is drugs; my second thought is the RCC.

• Administrators

When I was a teenager, I was involved slightly in the drug scene (no details, as I'm not proud of it...).  There was always incense burning at any of the homes where parties were held.  I don't like the smell of incense - didn't then, either.  II won't use incense for that reason. But I do like a good scented candle. Lilac especially.

• Members

I always thought it was rather funny that so many of the drug users would burn incense every time they lit up, whether in the house, garage, car. Everyone knew if they smelled incense it was because someone was smoking pot. They usually used the smelliest incense and when it mixed with the pot smell it was kind of sickly sweet or something (hard to describe and I tried to avoid such places). So really, why bother when the attempt to cover up the smell and the fact of what they were doing didn't work?

Reminds me of the girls who would claim not to smoke so after they would sneak away for a cigarette they would chew gum or suck on a mint candy as if that was fooling everyone.

• Moderators

My earliest memory of incense was a store called Pic N Save, one of the early discount stores. Some of us here are prOBably familiar with them. I remember that it was the first place I saw large-scale incense for sale. I also remember them because they sold Fruity Freakies cereal after they left the stores, and it was the place I bought my first shirt with my own money as a kid.

Yes, I know this has little to do with the OP, but hey, memories, right?

• Members

The incense they use in the RCC (weddings and funerals) is much different than the incense used to cover up the smell of pot or smell of cigarettes.  When my son was a toddler, and attended funerals, he would literally gag and choke on the incense used in the RCC.  He is severely allergic to it.  The incense they sell at stores has various flavors.  I have used it to cover up my brother's cigarette smoke that comes through the front window, in the warmer months.  However, I prefer candles to incense.  When I have used flavored incense, I haven't paid attention to it other than to cover up cigarette smoke.  I am certainly not using it in a pagan way.  That thought never crossed my mind.  

• Members

Before much of what they sold became illegal, back in the early 80s there was an odd little store in a small city not far from here that sold lots of drug paraphernalia (along with a lot of oddities) and they had a huge collection of incense. Not only that, but they had incense burning so the whole store smelled like that stuff.

I only visited that store once with a friend (we were just curious as to what they had in there, neither of us did drugs) and since then my first thought when I hear of incense is drugs; my second thought is the RCC.

We had one of those stores in our town too when I was a teenager.  Funny thing, they allowed the sale of the pipes, bongs & papers, yet the police of that town conducted drug raids quite often. 

They must have watched the Happy Penguin (can't believe I remember that name) to see who visited it so they could bust them later.  LOL

• Members

We had one of those stores in our town too when I was a teenager.  Funny thing, they allowed the sale of the pipes, bongs & papers, yet the police of that town conducted drug raids quite often. 

They must have watched the Happy Penguin (can't believe I remember that name) to see who visited it so they could bust them later.  LOL

The potheads in high school used to go to a store, in a nearby town, to buy incense to over up the smell of marijuana.  They also bought a lot of drug paraphernalia in those "head shops."  They also sold bumper stickers that said, "I Love Cops" on them.  LOL!  It was amazing what the drug attics would do.  Where I live, you can buy flavored incense anywhere.  Like I said, I prefer scented candles, but I have used flavored incense to flush out the cigarette smoke that blows through the front windows of my home.  I love the lavender smell and find it very therapeutic.  Also, candles are the number one cause of house fires.  

Archived