• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Welcome To Florida...

The Glory Land

• Moderators

Pensacola isn't much different than southern Georgia or Alabama. It's a very poor county and parts of Pensacola itself is poor, crime and drug ridden. The more affluent areas, and areas for tourists and where the main businesses are, such as PCC itself, are kept up and generally safe and decent.

Since it's on the tip of the Florida panhandle, at least one doesn't have to delve too far into Florida and leaving is quick.

Hated my time in Fla but Pensacola is not a good representation of Fla (nor is Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc). To visit the Real Fla go to Two Egg, Chipley, Jay, Perry, Walnut Hill, Ebro, Graceville, etc.

• Members

Hated my time in Fla but Pensacola is not a good representation of Fla (nor is Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc). To visit the Real Fla go to Two Egg, Chipley, Jay, Perry, Walnut Hill, Ebro, Graceville, etc.

We live near Wausau but my business/office is near Chipley and we have a Chipley address. I sometimes sell my sheep at Graceville and my MIL lives near Jay. A really big "city" for us is Panama City or Dothan, AL. We are from some of the original "Florida Crackers". My great great great grandpa fought for the confederacy and lost two of his three sons in the war. One died in battle at Chickamauga and the other died in a prison camp. When the  war was over, my 3xgreat grandpa became a Baptist preacher. The story is told that my 2x great grandpa Bauldin, the only son he had left, hid in a well to avoid conscription; he was said to be14 at the time. They have  Grandpa Bauldin's log house at a museum in Panama City....

'>

• Moderators

We live near Wausau but my business/office is near Chipley and we have a Chipley address. I sometimes sell my sheep at Graceville and my MIL lives near Jay. A really big "city" for us is Panama City or Dothan, AL. We are from some of the original "Florida Crackers". My great great great grandpa fought for the confederacy and lost two of his three sons in the war. One died in battle at Chickamauga and the other died in a prison camp. When the  war was over, my 3xgreat grandpa became a Baptist preacher. The story is told that my 2x great grandpa Bauldin, the only son he had left, hid in a well to avoid conscription; he was said to be14 at the time. They have  Grandpa Bauldin's log house at a museum in Panama City....

'>

My grandpa (my pa's pa) was a Confederate bugler (he was 89 when my dad was born - his wife was 34). Two of my boys were born in Ft Oglethorpe when we lived in Chickamauga.

• Moderators

Maybe it was the prison camp which was at Chickamauga; I'll have to ask my sister.

There wasn't a camp at Chickamauga, he was prOBably KIA there. I don't think the Union took any POW's at Chickamauga and had enough difficulty keeping Chattanooga secure. There wouldn't have sent any to Memphis, most likely (IF they had any) Indiana or Illinois.

• Members

I went to nursing school in Panama City, FL. Lived there for 3 years. Loved it! Just avoided Panama City Beach during spring break! Took a few classes in Chipley first. My boyfriend at the time was stationed at Tyndall AFB. The panhandle is definitely best part of Florida! 

Archived