• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Members

For someone who says they studied music in the Bible to make the statements you have just made shows that your study was very poor.
Music is mentioned a reasonable amount specifically and not only in relation to David.
There is plenty of mention of singers, music, various instruments and so on.

Well go back through and list the context.  Taberents(sp?) used in Dancing was to keep the beat while dancing not the tone of the song being sung.  JOB the oldest book in the Bible, mentions song one time, no musick. no instruments of Musick just song.  A song does not mean there was Musick or instrument or even a melody, it means it was sung using human voices to entertain people. 

I visited tribes in the mission field who did this.  they had songs and no instruments and it is not very melodic either.

the word Musick is found 16 times and a majority of them are in connection (context) with David and with Gentiles.  When Jeremiah used the term it was in reference to their SONG the context reveals it.

Instruments (found 45 times) is not always used in context as being musical some were death and others were righteousness.  But in those where Musick is in the context it is tied with David and Gentiles in the Majority.  Instruments of ministry was not in the context musical instruments but the tools needed to perform their temple service.  No where in the LAW of MOSES are musical instruments found.  He mentions an instrument used with dancing in a narrative writing and one needs to be careful about using narrative material to support or create a doctrine.

Now song is found 72 times (sang 12 times, sung 5 times and not once in the writings of Paul are any of these terms used).  this is the words Moses uses.  Many of the song he produced were not accompanied by musical instruments but were to be sung by the voice and even the Jews today are not so sure how to sing those songs.  Interesting note is the scriptures say that David sang in dances which once again shows that singing and dancing go together many times and may or may not include a melody.

Singing is used 25 times and mentioned in Paul's writings twice.  and a few of these verse in the OT is the singing accompanied with musical instruments by the context but all of them after David instituted "Instruments of Musick" as being part of temple service.  God is said to sing and he wants us to come before him with singing.  Remember singing does not always imply musical instruments are present.  Moses never used the word singing but the context of his writings is that he wanted and approved of singing.

The only musical instruments truly connected to God in Worship by, God himself is Harps found in Rev 14, 15.  God did approve of the musical instruments for Israel in a few verse but we need to be careful of putting that on the church because Paul never makes mention of it, as he makes no mention of Sabbath OBservance for the church too.  these silent moments of Paul need to be considered while Paul never restricted Israel from Sabbath, he never put it on the Gentiles any of the temple services, rituals and worship mediums that Israel was commanded.  His note to Israel is that there was no righteousness imputed them in doing it.

So what was that about I not studying it out?

Were you there when I studied it to come to a truthful conclusion?

No, you came to that conclusion because I didn't put up all the verses and show the facts of the matter.  Hence I did here just for you.

You do know and understand, that if I said, "your study was very poor" I would be jumped on for being superior, belittling and a host of other comments.  But once again it was here and not one rebuked you for it , even though the MOD was keeping a close eye on what I posted she forgets so easily how she has reubked me for saying similar.  ((if there is any doubt go to the threads where I have hinted and said such and then read what followed)).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AVBB, there is no need to repost things in two threads.  And, dissertations don't mean the writers are experts... :smug:

That was a mistake here I though I was in the other thread.  However it is just as useful here as there.

You always find some fault in everything I say, let me rephrase that, why do you always find something to comment on in a negative way, in the things that I write or say?  Why is that? 

A dissertation does in fact require that we are factual and from the study of facts we come to correct conclusions that allow us to share truth and be expert on the subject we dissertated on, this case the origin of "A Mighty Fortress.

• Members

I especially like the string section of classical orchestras and so have an affinity towards composers that key in on that section. I do not like opera at all so I avoid most all of that genre.

A favorite of mine is Arcangelo Corelli. He preceded Vivaldi, Handel, and Bach and each of them modeled some of their music off of his. He was Catholic if that matters.

Another favorite is Luigi Boccherini, who was a classical cellist that closely modeled Haydn. Haydn was a devout Catholic, I don't know about Boccherini.

I also enjoy Jean-Baptiste Lully, but he was heavy into opera so I don't listen too much to him. He was Catholic as well.

I also enjoy Dvorak, Vivaldi, Bach and Handel and various others. I never really payed too close attention as to what their religious pedigree was. To me, if it is beautiful music that calms the nerves or soothes the soul, I listen. There are classical pieces that make me uneasy or hyped up and those I avoid.

• Members

Well, that is very different from what you wrote here:

Other than David we find no other use of MUSICK in the Bible except for occasional taberent(SP?)playing with dancing.

How about you make vaguely accurate statements to begin with, then you might not get picked up on it.

By the way, you still present your 'evidence' in a biased way to sway the 'facts' to support your premise......

• Members

I especially like the string section of classical orchestras and so have an affinity towards composers that key in on that section. I do not like opera at all so I avoid most all of that genre.

A favorite of mine is Arcangelo Corelli. He preceded Vivaldi, Handel, and Bach and each of them modeled some of their music off of his. He was Catholic if that matters.

Another favorite is Luigi Boccherini, who was a classical cellist that closely modeled Haydn. Haydn was a devout Catholic, I don't know about Boccherini.

I also enjoy Jean-Baptiste Lully, but he was heavy into opera so I don't listen too much to him. He was Catholic as well.

I also enjoy Dvorak, Vivaldi, Bach and Handel and various others. I never really payed too close attention as to what their religious pedigree was. To me, if it is beautiful music that calms the nerves or soothes the soul, I listen. There are classical pieces that make me uneasy or hyped up and those I avoid.

I really like classical myself, but I also like other genres.  Not everything in any genre do I like but some.

• Members

Well, that is very different from what you wrote here:

How about you make vaguely accurate statements to begin with, then you might not get picked up on it.

By the way, you still present your 'evidence' in a biased way to sway the 'facts' to support your premise......

Yes it is biased to the word of God not my opinion.

• Administrators

That was a mistake here I though I was in the other thread.  However it is just as useful here as there. I understand that mistakes happen - but don't be repeating passages in multiple threads even in two.  I'm sure you realize that's known as spamming. Ergo, not useful here...

You always find some fault in everything I say, let me rephrase that, why do you always find something to comment on in a negative way, in the things that I write or say?  Why is that?  Always? Everything? Not quite, but good hyperbole (there - something positive).  But mayhap if you weren't so negative you'd get some more positive comments - and not just from me.  

A dissertation does in fact require that we are factual and from the study of facts we come to correct conclusions that allow us to share truth and be expert on the subject we dissertated on, this case the origin of "A Mighty Fortress.  Sorry if I don't accept your "expertise", but, no, writing a dissertation doesn't make one an expert.  It often makes the writer think he/she is, though. Dissertations require sources.  And when one's sources are not accurate, one's dissertation will not be, either.

• Administrators

:nuts:   Okeydoke, AVBB.  That's enough. You want grace, but you don't give it.  It's really interesting how you come on here and immediately begin to stir up strife.  

AVBB being disparaging. Amazing. Just amazing. 

And, FWIW, sometime's a mod has to be negative.  I know that bothers some people, but it is what it is.  

Archived