• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Um, thank you very much for the putdown. Music does influence the emotions - of all men - not just 'feminized' ones. Yet, somehow, God chose to design it and use it for His glory anyways.

Your opinion and a rather weak one but I accept it :)

Yup, the first part was my opinion. I don't like the insinuation that women are somehow 'weaker' because music may affect our emotions. Classing us with immature children and 'feminized men' is a total insult. Call it my opinion, but that was rude. I also know men who enjoy music - and I'd be willing to bet that some of that affects their emotions. They are not weak, feminized men, and I dislike the insinuation made of them.

The second part was not opinion. Didn't God design music? Didn't He create angels to be musical (Ezek. 28:13)? Won't there be music in heaven (Rev. 5:8-9)? Christ sang with his disciples (Mark 14:26). We are instructed to sing (Eph. 5:19). 

• Members

I've not worried whether classical composers were Christians (like HC said, it isn't supposed to be 'christian' music), but I have discovered a few to avoid. Stay away from Wagner and especially Berlioz. They were into all sorts of occultic/pagan stuff, and it shows through in the music.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

• Members

Classical music is as varied as any other genre.

Some of it was sung - because a great deal of classical has words - in pubs and in popular settings, and some of it is downright lustfull and even devilish in its themes and subjects.

But some of it is beautiful.

Dave, I think that Beethoven's ode to Joy has pagan words, perhaps added later by another hand.  But is sometimes used as a hymn tune.

Lyrics in English for "Ode to Joy"
("Ode An Die Freude")
Beethoven's 9th Symphony

Seek him in the heavens;
Above the stars must He dwell.Do you fall in worship, you millions?
World, do you know your creator?Brothers, above the starry canopy
There must dwell a loving FatherYou millions, I embrace you.
This kiss is for all the world!Gladly, like the heavenly bodies
Which He set on their courses
Through the splendor of the firmament;
Thus, brothers, you should run your race,
As a hero going to conquest.She gave us kisses and the fruit of the vine,
A tried friend to the end.
Even the worm can feel contentment,
And the cherub stands before God!All creatures drink of joy
At nature's breast.
Just and unjust
Alike taste of her gift;Whoever has created 
An abiding friendship,
Or has won
A true and loving wife,
All who can call at least one soul theirs,
Join in our song of praise;
But any who cannot must creep tearfully
Away from our circle.Thy magic power re-unites
All that custom has divided,
All men become brothers
Under the sway of thy gentle wings.Joy, bright spark of divinity,
Daughter of Elysium,
Fire-inspired we tread
Thy sanctuary.O friends, no more these sounds!
Let us sing more cheerful songs,
more full of joy!

It is also the anthem of the European Union, aka the 4th Reich.

• Members

That is the dumbest thing I have read today.

Why don't you cry about it :)

In all seriousness, this was not the dumbest at all but BY FAR the funnest post you read all day.....admit it

• Members

Why don't you cry about it :)

In all seriousness, this was not the dumbest at all but BY FAR the funnest post you read all day.....admit it

Had I meant that it was the funniest, I would have said so.  

• Members

Anyone know the origin of the song that goes, "soon and very soon we are going to see the King"?

I don't know if it's a more modern song, old song or what but back in '81 when I was saved in an Assembly of God church they played that song during every service. We left there after the conservative pastor went to Texas and was replaced by a VERY Charismatic type pastor. When we went back to visit about three years later not only did we find that Charismatic pastor was still there, but that song was still in use, but the rest of the music was from a loud band they had set up on the stage. Between the loud music, the pastor, his wife and several from the congregation near the front shouting in "tongues", it was hard to believe how far away that church had moved from where it was when I was saved.

• Members

Anyone know the origin of the song that goes, "soon and very soon we are going to see the King"?

I don't know if it's a more modern song, old song or what but back in '81 when I was saved in an Assembly of God church they played that song during every service. We left there after the conservative pastor went to Texas and was replaced by a VERY Charismatic type pastor. When we went back to visit about three years later not only did we find that Charismatic pastor was still there, but that song was still in use, but the rest of the music was from a loud band they had set up on the stage. Between the loud music, the pastor, his wife and several from the congregation near the front shouting in "tongues", it was hard to believe how far away that church had moved from where it was when I was saved.

Author: Andraé Crouch

Crouch_A.jpgAndraé Crouch (born July 1, 1942) is an American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger, recording artist, record producer, and pastor. Born Andraé Edward Crouch in San Francisco, California, where his parents managed a dry cleaners. His father, Benjamin Crouch, also had a street ministry, and ministered in hospitals and in prison. Andrae was eleven years old when his father was invited to preach at a small church in a farming community. The church didn't have a pastor so the bishop invited Andraé's father to become the pastor. That first Sunday, Andrae's father asked him to come up front. He said, "Andraé, if God gave you the gift of music to play and sing for him would you do it for his glory all your life?" Andraé said, "Yeah daddy.…

• Members

Never heard of him. Apparently it's a modern song. I've never heard it outside that Assembly of God church. I've heard from others who were in those churches back then and they all said the same thing; an overhead projector putting the words up and singing that song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Salyan mentioned MUSICK is subjective.

As Others have mentioned it stimulates emotions.

Other than David we find no other use of MUSICK in the Bible except for occasional taberent(SP?)playing with dancing.

Paul sang, as recorded by Luke, however Paul never mentions MUSICK.  Why?

Because it is subjective and may move emotions in the wrong direction.  Being of a sound mind which is taught by Paul is maintained in fellowships where MUSICK is limited.  But in Fellowships where music is the main mode of teaching and ministering to the Body emotions are high and the mind is not sound i.e. mainly charismatic and Pentecostal groups but not limited to these.

To Happy,

Martin Luther did in fact write the score for the song and the lyrics of the song "A mighty fortress"  however you failed to understand that by Luther's own confession the song was a bar song sung by returning soldiers.  No musical score was ever set to it until he did it.  But the tone, temple and flow of the song was taken and used to create "a mighty fortress". Luther's point was he wanted to use the songs known to the common people and change the lyrics to teach doctrine so the common person would know them via a medium they are more apt to learn by.  Though he was a man who wanted the Bible in a common language many in that day could not read or write German.

I was not in error when I pointed this out.  I did a dissertation on this in Bible school my first year and had studied it out and know the facts of the roots of the song even if you did not.

• Members

For someone who says they studied music in the Bible to make the statements you have just made shows that your study was very poor.
Music is mentioned a reasonable amount specifically and not only in relation to David.
There is plenty of mention of singers, music, various instruments and so on.

Archived