• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

man, I havn't listened to classical in a long time... my 30 days without music didn't pan out... switched on some classical... (dont get me wrong. I dont believe in feelings or "emotionalism") but... I feel like a brand new man.

Vivaldi's presto... <3

• Members

>Have you heard Vivaldi's "Gloria" ?  I didn't join a choir until I feared becoming incapacitated with diabetes, so I missed out on such glorious music. I actually joined after a performance of Haydn's "Creation" - "The heavens are telling" is brilliant. Back to Vivaldi, that opening 2 minutes is absolutely exhilarating. It was a privilege to sing. Amazingly, his music was written for orphan girls. I did hear on radio a version sung by only female voices. 

• Moderators

I've not worried whether classical composers were Christians (like HC said, it isn't supposed to be 'christian' music), but I have discovered a few to avoid. Stay away from Wagner and especially Berlioz. They were into all sorts of occultic/pagan stuff, and it shows through in the music.

• Administrators

Just for the record, I wanted to clarify that we do not listen to CCM at all. Yes, we are that way....

As I said in my earlier post, discernment is the key to anything, actually.  And my hubby and I have well, discerned that we are going to stay away from CCM.  Period. Why?  Because it is a musical vehicle to transform a generation...and not necessarily in a good way. Yes, there is good stuff in there, but not enough for us to wish to participate.  A little leaven....(we've seen far too many lumps leavened by this stuff and the resulting down-spiral into really questionable music - all of which, erm, "glorifies God"). I realize that some will think it is weak of us to avoid it, but that's okay. Each of us gives account to God, so we're not worried what folks might think of us. :wink  

That's not to say that we will condemn someone for listening to songs like In Christ Alone (I dearly love the words to that song, but have a real prOBlem with the music to it...mayhap if I heard Covenanter play it, it would be different... :icon_smile:  ).  We just won't do it ourselves, as we don't think it's biblical (the music, the genre)

As for Vivaldi's presto - wow!  That was great this morning. Thanks, Jordan!  

Yes, salyan, Wagner's music is creepy!  I've not heard Berlioz, that I know of. Thanks for the heads up...won't try to now!

• Members

OK but what about the standard you are all holding for yourselves today by not accepting any CCM?

While guys like Mendelssohn, Handel, Liszt, Dvorak et al all who claim to be Christian or have done music that is used in Christian hymns produced 99% secular musick?

You accept them and their musick for the 1% that your find in your hymnals?

If so, then you throw out the your standard you place on CMM and not on others this again show yourselves to by hypocrites.

• Administrators

Thanks, AVBB, but you are not the arbiter of our standards.  Nor do I care if you think we are hypocrites. Because we don't answer to you.  Considering that you have no idea what songs we sing from our hymnal, your comments are a wee bit presumptuous (especially since you are so far off base as to the origin of A Mighty Fortress is Our God). But totally in character...

• Members

OK but what about the standard you are all holding for yourselves today by not accepting any CCM?

While guys like Mendelssohn, Handel, Liszt, Dvorak et al all who claim to be Christian or have done music that is used in Christian hymns produced 99% secular musick?

You accept them and their musick for the 1% that your find in your hymnals?

If so, then you throw out the your standard you place on CMM and not on others this again show yourselves to by hypocrites.

Feeling bitter, eh?

What difference does it make if people have different standards for music than you? Lighten up.

• Moderators

People don't like being believed to be wrong. Nowhere is this more in evidence than in the field of music. Which is funny, because it is often considered to be a very subjective subject - yet people will react to disagreements with it more than they would to someone disagreeing with their religion!

• Moderators

I hate all genres of music. It easily influences the emotions of women, children and feminized men.

I do recommend Alex Scourby, he plays a mean KJB.

Um, thank you very much for the putdown. Music does influence the emotions - of all men - not just 'feminized' ones. Yet, somehow, God chose to design it and use it for His glory anyways.

• Members

Um, thank you very much for the putdown. Music does influence the emotions - of all men - not just 'feminized' ones. Yet, somehow, God chose to design it and use it for His glory anyways.

Your opinion and a rather weak one but I accept it :)

Archived