• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

John, we can argue about specific songs til the cows come home. Fact of the matter is that the genre of CCM - which includes rap and rock - claims to be Christ honoring as a whole. The genre of classical does not. There are some CCM songs that actually are good. And there are some classical works that are bad. (BTW...the someone who tagged that song and others like it as CCM would be the gettys, townsend, and other CCM artists who are proud of being on the forefront of changing the music of a generation).

Discernment is the key...

• Members

Calling for discernment rather than blanket acceptance or condemnation is what I've brought up for a long time.

Even when it comes to a song that is Christ honouring, there will be the influence of preference involved, which is one of the reasons why some Christians really love Amazing Grace while others don't think that much of it (just an example, this applies to I'll Fly Away, When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder, Trust And OBey, etc.)

• Members

John, we can argue about specific songs til the cows come home. Fact of the matter is that the genre of CCM - which includes rap and rock - claims to be Christ honoring as a whole. The genre of classical does not. There are some CCM songs that actually are good. And there are some classical works that are bad. (BTW...the someone who tagged that song and others like it as CCM would be the gettys, townsend, and other CCM artists who are proud of being on the forefront of changing the music of a generation).

I'm listening to BBC Radio three's "Early Music Show" with  choral music by Heinrich Schutz (a Lutheran), followed by "Funeral Music for Queen Mary."

Morley - I AM the resurrection & the life, 

Purcell - Thou knowest Lord, the secrets of our hearts.

Much of early music is religious, settings of Psalms, Canticles & the Mass, but even the Mass, when listened to out of context is basically Scriptures relating to the Communion service. I've sung some of these with a secular choir, expressed my OBjection to Requiem Masses, & been surprised to find that Brahm's "Requiem" was a serious of Scriptures relating to death & heaven - NOT a requiem mass. e.g. How lovely are thy dwellings (Psalm 84)

Radio 3 has promised to play

• Members

Calling for discernment rather than blanket acceptance or condemnation is what I've brought up for a long time.

Even when it comes to a song that is Christ honouring, there will be the influence of preference involved, which is one of the reasons why some Christians really love Amazing Grace while others don't think that much of it (just an example, this applies to I'll Fly Away, When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder, Trust And OBey, etc.)

Talking with my Pastor and his wife last night about this for hours... I am the type that likes to be consistent and make things easy, but if I was to be consistent and just wipe out everything that didn't have an artist or composer that was IFB KJB ONLY BAPTIST. I might as well just not listen to anything ever again. It came down to recognizing that you have to take everything with biblical discernment, perhaps down to the individual song and filter it. Not as clear cut, but such is the time we are in.

• Members

>Have you heard Vivaldi's "Gloria" ?  I didn't join a choir until I feared becoming incapacitated with diabetes, so I missed out on such glorious music. I actually joined after a performance of Haydn's "Creation" - "The heavens are telling" is brilliant. Back to Vivaldi, that opening 2 minutes is absolutely exhilarating. It was a privilege to sing. Amazingly, his music was written for orphan girls. I did hear on radio a version sung by only female voices. 

• Members

Has America got anything like Radio 3 or Classic fm ?

I listen quite a bit to SverigesRadio P2, which is a Swedish version of BBC3.

Actually, BBC3 is a Brit version of P2. ;)

On-air classical programming here in northern Wisconsin is limited to Public Radio.

• Members

Jordan,

One of the good things about considering songs individually is it prompts one to really listen to the lyrics and see if they are scriptural. In doing this, sometimes it's almost like a mini Bible study. Often this also helps us when we again listen to those songs we've determined are scriptural and edifying for our listening as we have a better understanding of the lyrics and they reach us more deeply.

Another positive aspect is doing this helps to sharpen our discernment skills.

Archived