• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Members

I've heard many classical songs that brought up thoughts of war and battle! Some that bring to mind love and romance. Some which make me long for adventure. Some of these I've at various times also heard in movies.

I enjoy classical music but don't listen to it much anymore.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Classical music is as varied as any other genre.

Some of it was sung - because a great deal of classical has words - in pubs and in popular settings, and some of it is downright lustfull and even devilish in its themes and subjects.

But some of it is beautiful.

• Members

what about someone like Vivaldi? he was ordained a priest in 1700's... OBvious catholic theology prOBlems. avoid his music too you think?

If you want to make doctrine or denomination a requirement before listening, you'll be looking for a long time.  

• Members

I have been a classical music fan for years and years, and..well ok, a long time.  ;)  Nothing tells a story without words better than a well written classical piece.  Who can't imagine the journey and scenery in a  piece like the William Tell Overture.  Who can't see and feel the raw emotion of love, heartache, and betrayal displayed in all 3 movements of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, or feel the anger in his "Appassionata".  Who can't see the beauty of the seasons in Vivaldi's Four Seasons.  If you have not listened to Itzhak Perlman playing the Zigeunerweisen by Sarasate with conductor James Levine, you are missing out on an awesome emotional ride.   www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmbFSiJzEQ

Bro. Garry

• Members

DaveW,

You do realize that what you said in your post #17 is the same thing many Christians say about CCM and Southern Gospel don't you?

;)

I was concerned that people seem to have a sanitized view of classical music which is simply not the truth.

Opera for instance is often foul, lustfull, and even Satanic.

And some of it has heavy beat, heavy drums, and clashing musical tones.

Being classical music does not automatically make it all right.

That is my point. ;)

• Members

Sounds like something I've heard regarding CCM and Southern Gospel too.

Anyway, what about waltz's?

?????

Popular dance music?
Some of it sounds nice.
It is meant to make you want to move on a dance floor.

• Members

;)

I was concerned that people seem to have a sanitized view of classical music which is simply not the truth.

Opera for instance is often foul, lustfull, and even Satanic.

And some of it has heavy beat, heavy drums, and clashing musical tones.

Being classical music does not automatically make it all right.

That is my point. ;)

I do not listen to opera music, just the symphonies, and some really nice classical guitar music. I think most here when talking about 'classical' mean the same.

And no one is saying anything about it being perfect, just as all gospel music in our hymn books are not perfect.

When David played for Saul, the scriptures do not say he sung, but played his instrument.

And that music did something good for Saul.

That is what some classical music does, it soothes.

Now if there were 'nasty' stuff in it, it goes without saying we shouldn't listen to it.

We are adults with the mind to control our music. Let's not do a no no and act as

if we can't make right decisions when it comes to musical instruments. 

And about the clanging of cymbals and drums and such, come on, that is in no way

like some CCM/southern gospel rock n roll beats. They are a repetitive type of patterned beat.  

• Members

My point is that some are using the generic term "classical music" in a way that suggests that Classical itself means good.

That is clearly not the truth of the matter.
The genre includes stuff that goes from one extreme to the other.

I think the OP was clear in looking for suggestions of good classical music, but the general discussion needed the balance to be said.

Archived