• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Classical Composers,

Gorship

• Members

I'm thinking I may look at classical music as my first stop in reintroducing music into my life that isnt evil in appearance. Does anyone know of classical composers who were/are professing christians?

I found this book on CBD; http://www.christianbook.com/gift-music-great-composers-their-influence/jane-smith/9780891078692/pd/107869X?item_code=WW&netp_id=130712&event=ESRCG&view=details

Seems to have a fairly decent list.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

David nevue.

Pianist and composer - not classical as such but beautiful piano.
Some original, some arrangements of hymns. All instrumental, piano only, no vocals.

No idea what sort of Christian nor how strong.

• Members

I'm thinking I may look at classical music as my first stop in reintroducing music into my life that isnt evil in appearance. Does anyone know of classical composers who were/are professing christians?

I found this book on CBD; http://www.christianbook.com/gift-music-great-composers-their-influence/jane-smith/9780891078692/pd/107869X?item_code=WW&netp_id=130712&event=ESRCG&view=details

Seems to have a fairly decent list.

I have read that Felix Mendelssohn was a born again Christian and also an ethnic Jew. 

• Members

Mendelssohn, and Bach were definitely Christian.  It is debated whether Mozart was...he claimed to be but if he was, he didn't have a very good Christian testimony.  Then there are the ones who not only were not christian but were self proclaimed atheists and very antagonistic towards Christians such as Chopin (a sodomite) and Beethoven.

• Members

Mendelssohn, and Bach were definitely Christian. It is debated whether Mozart was...he claimed to be but if he was, he didn't have a very good Christian testimony. Then there are the ones who not only were not christian but were self proclaimed atheists and very antagonistic towards Christians such as Chopin (a sodomite) and Beethoven.

Mozart and Tchaikovsky were Sodomites.
Mozart might have been the worst of all the famous ones.
Tchai was married, but his wife spent her nights roaming the Sodomite dens of Czarist Russia, searching for her husband. One of the saddest stories ever told.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Handel seems to check out
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/131christians/musiciansartistsandwriters/handel.html

Same with Bach
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/131christians/musiciansartistsandwriters/bach.html

and I will check out David nevue. as per Dave W

any other classical music composers one can think of? sad to hear about Chopin and beethoven.

• Members

I'm still not sure how this all fits in with the "avoid anything that moves the flesh" concept. To me it often seems one confuses the flesh with emotions, which God created and can be good. Classical music has often stirred me far more than rock or country. I know some folks who really get fired up listening to classical music. Classical music has long been used to stir folks to action and also used in movies to stir folks up, build up the drama and otherwise engage one fully in the movie.

On the other hand, my wife can't stand classical music, and other than a couple songs from many years ago, she's not liked any rock she's heard.

One young lady at our church sometimes performs a beautiful piece of classical music on the piano when the plates are passed around. This is only once or twice a year. She's so good, I would enjoy hearing her play more often.

• Members

I have been listening to classical music for 'years and years, and years...', ok, for a long time.

Never really got into the idea of 'were the composers Christians?'. The music is beautiful, and

glorifies this thought - peace of mind. And I think that is a natural part of living, that we can 'rest'

in the beauty of something 'clean'.

Mostly no words. Hardly a tune to 'whistle' to. Really no beat, as a rhythm anyway.

It makes the mind 'not subject to passions of this life' able to think, and I like to think.

I can remember the scriptures and subjects from the word of God while listening to classical music.

My favorite 'tune' - Franz Liszt, Les Preludes, Symphonic Poem #3. Flows using all kinds of instruments.

In our home we call classical music - Bugs Bunny Music.  :coverlaugh:

Archived