Online Baptist Community

Beware!devil At Work

Rate this topic

paid4

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I don't go to 'church' to be fed. I go to church to worship my God and Savior. I pray very hard about not losing site of Jesus Christ during the hours I'm at the 'church.' Sundays, Wednesdays, and other days. Yes, I try to get some fellowship in before Sunday School, before corporate worship, and after the Sunday morning message but, I seek out those folks who (1) share my need for God centered fellowship or, (2) need me to share God centered fellowship with them. If you're going to 'church' to be fed then you need the "milk" message over and over again. Folks aren't going to grow from walking into a Sunday morning gathering (late) and expecting to get their weekly 'dose' of God. Disciple these people and encourage them to get alone with God in prayer and in the Word (personal devotions). People grow when they have a personal daily walk with God. Tell them you'll help them understand any difficulties they have.

People are too quick to take their eyes off the Savior and too slow to get up next to Him. 

Seasoned folks are leaving the local church! What are they seasoned with? O.K., maybe they have a serious health prOBlem; if not then they are forgetting the one very important point of the Gospel...BUILD MY CHURCH! If they aren't building the church then what are they doing? It is NOT THE PASTOR'S RESPONSIBILITY to build the church. It's these folks who are turning their backs on the Savior's COMMAND to build His church, it's their responsibility.

Luke 18.8b "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? "

I don't go to 'church' to be fed. I go to church to worship my God and Savior. I pray very hard about not losing site of Jesus Christ during the hours I'm at the 'church.' Sundays, Wednesdays, and other days. Yes, I try to get some fellowship in before Sunday School, before corporate worship, and after the Sunday morning message but, I seek out those folks who (1) share my need for God centered fellowship or, (2) need me to share God centered fellowship with them. If you're going to 'church' to be fed then you need the "milk" message over and over again. Folks aren't going to grow from walking into a Sunday morning gathering (late) and expecting to get their weekly 'dose' of God. Disciple these people and encourage them to get alone with God in prayer and in the Word (personal devotions). People grow when they have a personal daily walk with God. Tell them you'll help them understand any difficulties they have.

People are too quick to take their eyes off the Savior and too slow to get up next to Him. 

Seasoned folks are leaving the local church! What are they seasoned with? O.K., maybe they have a serious health prOBlem; if not then they are forgetting the one very important point of the Gospel...BUILD MY CHURCH! If they aren't building the church then what are they doing? It is NOT THE PASTOR'S RESPONSIBILITY to build the church. It's these folks who are turning their backs on the Savior's COMMAND to build His church, it's their responsibility.

Luke 18.8b "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? "

if I was closer enough I 'd love to attend your church, but I'll pray for God to bless your ministry that many will come seeking the lord Jesus with a humbled heart 

God bless

Mat 16:18
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Somebody's confused.

Anishinaabe

Mat 16:18
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Somebody's confused.

Anishinaabe

My old flesh wanted to get haughty with you, but then, I realized you’re not well versed in scripture, and your remark is just a need to know further counsel from God’s word. So, instead of being a tool of the flesh, I decided to explain to you that Christians are a tool in the hand of the Living God, Jesus Christ, my Lord.

Exactly what is that rock? Jesus Christ is that rock, preach that.

2 Timothy 4:2   Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

What is the word? It’s the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all His commandments.

1 Corinthians 1:21   For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Matthew 28:19   Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 28:20   Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Rocks, dirt, and sand aren't nations, people are nations. Who is the command to? The command is to you, me, everyone; it is a circular, if you will, command. “Go ye;” Christ is telling you to baptize and teach. That’s the way Jesus Christ, very God, builds his church. He is the commander and we are the commanded.

10   For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11   For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12   To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Isaiah 28:10-12

14   How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15   And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16   But they have not all OBeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17   So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:14  

You've been sent; are you preaching God's word to the lost?. Go and hammer, chisel, mold out some disciples for the Lord and Savior. These folks who have turned their backs on building need to re-read the primer, God’s word. If God gives a pastor the same message repeatedly prOBably someone isn't catching on or God's calling the parishioners to get new folks to hear it. 

• Moderators

A story was told of a preacher who candidated for a church and preached the same message Sun am and pm. The church called him and the Sun he arrived preached the exact same thing that morn and eve as he had previously. The men tried to chalk it up to his being tired from moving.

He repeated the same identical message that Wed. Well when it occurred again the next Sunday morning one of the men spoke up and asked, "Don't you have more than ONE message?". The preacher replied, "Yes, sir. When some of the congregation does something about living this one, I'll move to the next."

In all seriousness: while I realize some get in a DEEP rut, when you boil it down to bare bones there's only about 7 things we can preach on.

1) Salvation --------------- Where we get Christ

2) Second Coming ------  Where Christ gets us

3) Sanctification ---------- Cleans the inside

4) Separation ------------- Cleans the outside

5) Service ----------------- What we do

6) Suffering --------------- What we go through

7) Scripture --------------- The answer to every question

We also have to consider the difference between a pastor actually seeking the Lord's direction in his sermons, preparing and preaching what the Lord directs him to; and those preachers who just get up and preach something without prayer and consideration.

I've read several articles of the still growing trend of preachers to "prepare" their sermon by going online and finding a sermon, printing it out and often preaching it as their own. No thought to the unique flock they are over, no time in prayer to discover what message his congregation needs.

Our pastor has been at this church for over 30 years. He's preached many sermons on the same topic but none of them have been exactly the same. He's preached on the some of the same verses of Scripture several times, but each sermon is unique.

As Hebrews 4:12 tells us, the Word of God is alive and powerful. Whether we are preaching, teaching or sharing, there are so many ways the Lord can guide us to impart His Word to the hearers.

I don't know about some, but I never tire of hearing the Gospel. I believe it is the focal point of Scripture, everything that is taught sooner or later points back to Calvary. I need to hear the Gospel preached, I need to constantly remind myself of the Gospel in my life. I need to hear what Jesus did for us on the cross. 

I think a pastor,(or elder) can preach on a lot of subjects, but invariability, it always comes back to Jesus. It should, because that is the focus of corporate gathering. Maybe if pastors stop "preaching" on pet peeves, Im not saying any of these pastors are doing that,but focus on Jesus and Calvary, the Holy Spirit would be at work in peoples lives, people would change, families would change, communities would change and Jesus would be praised!

I don't know about some, but I never tire of hearing the Gospel. I believe it is the focal point of Scripture, everything that is taught sooner or later points back to Calvary. I need to hear the Gospel preached, I need to constantly remind myself of the Gospel in my life. I need to hear what Jesus did for us on the cross. 

I think a pastor,(or elder) can preach on a lot of subjects, but invariability, it always comes back to Jesus. It should, because that is the focus of corporate gathering. Maybe if pastors stop "preaching" on pet peeves, Im not saying any of these pastors are doing that,but focus on Jesus and Calvary, the Holy Spirit would be at work in peoples lives, people would change, families would change, communities would change and Jesus would be praised!

:amen:  Jeffrey!

My old flesh wanted to get haughty with you, but then, I realized you’re not well versed in scripture, and your remark is just a need to know further counsel from God’s word. So, instead of being a tool of the flesh, I decided to explain to you that Christians are a tool in the hand of the Living God, Jesus Christ, my Lord.

Exactly what is that rock? Jesus Christ is that rock, preach that.
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
What is the word? It’s the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all His commandments.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Rocks, dirt, and sand aren't nations, people are nations. Who is the command to? The command is to you, me, everyone; it is a circular, if you will, command. “Go ye;” Christ is telling you to baptize and teach. That’s the way Jesus Christ, very God, builds his church. He is the commander and we are the commanded.

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Isaiah 28:10-12

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all OBeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:14

You've been sent; are you preaching God's word to the lost?. Go and hammer, chisel, mold out some disciples for the Lord and Savior. These folks who have turned their backs on building need to re-read the primer, God’s word. If God gives a pastor the same message repeatedly prOBably someone isn't catching on or God's calling the parishioners to get new folks to hear it.
Belittling me in your pretentious manner does not alter the fact that Jesus builds the church.

Yes we are to do many things, and you haven't heard me testify to the opposite of that.

I've been planting churches for 20 years. They aren't my work, they are His.
I am not their shepherd, He is.

Every time I go to a new area, I find people there, prepared aforehand, by God. They trust Christ, take up their cross, and follow.

I love visiting them, after years, and seeing the continuing work of Christ in their lives.

Pop quiz:

Men plant, men water, ___ gives the increase.

Anishinabe

Belittling me in your pretentious manner does not alter the fact that Jesus builds the church.

Yes we are to do many things, and you haven't heard me testify to the opposite of that.

I've been planting churches for 20 years. They aren't my work, they are His.
I am not their shepherd, He is.

Every time I go to a new area, I find people there, prepared aforehand, by God. They trust Christ, take up their cross, and follow.

I love visiting them, after years, and seeing the continuing work of Christ in their lives.

Pop quiz:

Men plant, men water, ___ gives the increase.

Anishinabe

Are you insinuating I attribute the souls in Christ's Bride with the work I do as a Christian to build the church?

I won't play games...I'll just give scripture.

Colossians 1:29   Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Are you insinuating I attribute the souls in Christ's Bride with the work I do as a Christian to build the church?
I won't play games...I'll just give scripture.
Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Just taking you at your word.

Anishinabe

Just taking you at your word.

Anishinabe

I see, while ignoring the Bible, go for it. You have a 'proud' history to fall back on, me...not so much.

"1 Timothy 6:4   He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,"

Imaswabbie

• Lady Administrators

prophet, nowhere did Dave insinuate that Christians take the place of Christ in building the church. I totally understood what he was meaning - that Christians are to labor - ALL Christians, not just the pastor, in the work of building the church.  And what is the church?  The people.  Following scriptural instruction, we are to win them and help them grow in Christ.  That is building.  It cannot be done without the power of the Holy Spirit (a following can be accomplished, but it isn't building them in Christ).  And it is every Christian's responsibility.

Let's not be so quick to attack someone who uses a word with which we might disagree...how about simply asking for clarification instead of slamming someone right out.  Is that really so hard?

:11backtotopic:

• Moderators

The church I was sent out of, when they had a new pastor, the old music director/Asst. pastor and his wife left the church-the wife told the new pastor, "You're not my pastor and you never will be!" The husband, who had been very supportive of the former pastor, (the new pastor's father), "Well, you just don't preach about Jesus enough." And they left. Weak.

What burned me was this excuse, not preaching Jesus enough. Seriously, from the beginning of Genesis to the end of revelation, its ultimately ALL about Jesus, and anyone who can't see that is either blind, unsaved, or ignorant. I had really repected this couple-they helped start the church where I pastor now, and to see them take such a petty stance as they did was unsettling-it shows that anyone can wimp out.

By the way, while in some ways, I suppose the new pastor was lacking somewhat in the wisdom of his father, which I would rack up to inexperience, yet he was a fine preacher, knew his Bible and was enjoyable to hear. We used to join them for their Wed service, as we have a Thurs service. And my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with them. Sadly, not long after they lost their church due to lack of money, (sounds familiar) and they have, well, knid of dropped off the map. The last time we saw them, they came and visited our churc, gave us a particularly large offering, which we used to catch up on bills, and we never heard from them again. A real loss for us-they were good friends. Its my hope they have gone off to start a new work elsewhere.  

Mike, sadly this happend near me as well. Maybe 10 years ago a pastor I knew passed away. His son took over the church soon to be run out. Now I see him every so often and he has given up on his ministry. Sad!!

I see, while ignoring the Bible, go for it. You have a 'proud' history to fall back on, me...not so much.
"1 Timothy 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,"

Imaswabbie

I answered with Scripture, that actually included the wording .....

You are riled up at something that you are trying to imply that I said, or else you think that all of the Scripture you posted was about: us building the church.

We don't build the church, or bring the increase.

I've labored as much as the Master has asked of me.
I've knocked every door in an area.
Led many people to the Lord.
Baptized the ones who were not ashamed.
Assembled with them weekly, until they were stable.
Gave them Milk, til their teeth came in.
But I wasn't building the church.
I planted, and watered a little.
God brought the increase.

This is all I'm saying.

Do you find fault in it?

Anishinaabe

Building and Increase

Who do you call when you want a house built? Yes, the similarities are profound. Jesus Christ has called us to be builders. House building requires sticking to the planned design of the building. The plan for Christians is in the Bible with our spiritual eyes are fixed on Christ.

Romans 8:28   And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Hebrews 12:2a   Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;

Matthew 21:42   Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

I do not reject my Savior, Jesus Christ; he is my foundation stone, therefore…I do not labour in vain building for Christ; and yes I am ‘A’ builder not ‘THE’ author-finisher, just a common laborer.

Psalms 127:1   Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:

The letter to the Corinthians (1 Cor. 3:7) “God that giveth the increase” cannot be understood alone; this is rebuke given against the practice of Christians attributing their standing as if it were by pedigree, God forbid! However, vs. 7 must be read as part of Paul’s complete rebuke and exhortation vss. 1-15.

1 Corinthians 3:10   According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Does Paul err when referring to himself as a “wise masterbuilder?” No, because he gives Jesus Christ the glory, praise, and honor; and clarifies the foundation can only be Christ. I’m no Paul, but I’m also ordered to go and build by Matthew 28:19-20. How we build is the question not ‘if’ we are builders.

Psalms 127:1   Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:

Christians are builders and tools in His hands if surrendered to God for the purpose. There is no ‘Done’ and there is no ‘Finished’ for us, we continue to labour for Jesus Christ until He returns or until we’re called home.

Matthew 7:24   Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Matthew 7:25   And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

1 Corinthians 10:4   And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Romans 15:20   Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

We can mince words all day, Christ has called us to go and be laborers, workman, fellows, and builders. No matter if you deliver plant, water, cultivate, saw, hammer, or frame the Gospel, you are a fellow laborer with Christ. The harvest or house won't be built until Jesus Christ tells us to stop our labor. So, these folks who leave the fellow labor of building the church of Jesus Christ, because they’re tired of hearing a repeated scripture based message, are not right with God.

My Last Thought

Isaiah 6:8   Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.