• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

paid4

Beware!devil At Work

Satan is at work hard in our area the past few months. In our church a member met with the deacons and asked the pastor to step down or be voted out. The reason......he's preaching the same things over and over. This happened 2 weeks ago. He did not step down and we did not vote him out. The member has not been back since.

Just this week in a church a few miles up the road a deacon stood before the congregation and demanded that the pastor be removed or step down. His reason.....he's preaching the same thing over and over.

BEWARE of this tactic from Satan. I know it's not new but it really hit home this past month. It's like he's going from church to church really hard and fast lately. He's working here in North Carolina now and headed your way. Prepare!!!

Be in much prayer that we not become complacent in our service for him.

Edited by paid4

I'm seeing a lot of things lately that are disheartening. Our church just isn't seeing growth. In fact, a lot of key families have left just in the past two years and it's really hurt the church. It's keeping with a sad trend, though. The Southern Baptist Convention reported another record loss in membership and baptisms. It's not just IFB churches being hit hard. It's all churches that aren't liberal laser light rock shows with trampoline rooms for the kids and coffee bars for the grown-ups.

Not knowing just what "he's preaching the same things over and over" really entails; there could be a prOBlem if the pastor is just preaching the same things over and over.

Maybe he should try teaching; since this is the primarily jOB of a pastor. My :twocents:

There are some pastors who get to the point where they have basically one pet issue and they preach on that over and over again. That would be a prOBlem. There are also a few who want to preach nothing but a "come to Jesus" sermon each time they are behind the pulpit. This is also a prOBlem since the assembling of ourselves together is supposed to be primarily for corporate worship and to be edified and built up in Christ. An assembly of believers don't need to hear a call to salvation sermon over and over again. (to be clear, I'm not saying that a pastor shouldn't include a call to the lost in his sermon, but the primary message of the sermon should be aimed at growing assembly of believers in Christ.

Around here there seems to have been an attack of the devil upon marriages over the past couple of years. So many Christian couples have been having marriage prOBlems, beyond the normal, and at times our pastor has almost been overwhelmed by so many couples seeking him out for help.

No doubt the devil is always seeking to attack our pastors, ourselves, our marriages, families, children, the congregation. We need to be in constant prayer about these matters and be quick to ask for prayer support when needful.

Not knowing just what "he's preaching the same things over and over" really entails; there could be a prOBlem if the pastor is just preaching the same things over and over.

Maybe he should try teaching; since this is the primarily jOB of a pastor. My :twocents:

The prOBlem is the accuser cannot specifically give account of what the preacher is preaching over and over. (In our church). When you ask for specifics or a topic they can't give any. I do agree there are preachers that pound one subject on Sunday mornings. Ours will go for a month on a series topic type set of sermons on occasion. The real prOBlem is these people don't come to all the services and then think they have the right to call for the preachers resignation. If you're not an active member then you'll prOBably never have ground to stand on when you want the preacher gone!!!

I've said too much but I do hope that clears up the vague description I gave in the opening. I am sorry also, that I cannot comment on the other church. They may or may not be an actual prOBlem with the pastor there. Just thought it was interesting they were going through the exact same thing we were in an area less than 5 miles apart.

It is sad that this happens. I know pastors have it hard a lot of times because they have a church with people on all different spiritual levels. Some know hardly anything about the Bible while others are very well versed. I've had people come to me and say that they are not getting fed in church. My reply usually is, "How hungry are you?" Because when you are really hungry, anything sounds really good. :)

I love listening to preaching and according to the Bible His Word will not return void. As long as the Word of God is getting preached and I'm letting God work in me, I will get something out of that message, no matter if a kid is preaching or a seasoned preacher.

Like, like, like, like x 57942

Plus another 7 likes.

If the preacher is preaching from God's Word and you leave hungry then it is not the preacher's fault.

That's not true. If a preacher only preaches a salvation message every time he preaches, how are believers to grow in Christ?

Scripture itself says we are to move from milk to meat.

I've noticed a skilled pastor, with the help of the Holy Ghost, can preach a sermon that's able to feed the various maturities of the congregation.

Also, I've known a few (and heard of many more) who preach each sermon upon the same topic; from things like American patriotism to abortion. These pastors most often either aren't truly preaching the Word of God, or they are preaching the same basic sermon nearly every Sunday. Not much room for growth there.

Then there are pastors who preach the Word as the Lord directs, under the power of the Holy Ghost, and they are able to feed their flock and call sinners to repentance as they preach the whole Word of God. Praise God there are still many of these left in our land!!

I knew a preacher who was not technically a great preacher.
I had reason to sit under his preaching for about 12 months of evenings.
I made the decision that our presence was necessary for their encouragement.

People often said that he always preached the same thing, and that they never got anything out of his preaching.

His preaching was not well structured.
But I always got something out of his preaching.
Those that didn't were simply not paying attention.
His preaching was not easy to follow, but it was always Biblical.

Those starving there were just not eating what was being served.
It was not arranged as it would be in a nice restaurant, and so they rejected it as not good enough for them.
It was however hearty and nourishing. Just not always pretty.

I don't think Matt is talking about a preacher too lazy to work, or one on a hOBby horse.

I know one preacher who typically preaches about an hour and you have to be careful to catch the nugget somewhere near the beginning and the other towards the end because that's the only meat in the sermon, the rest is filled with story telling and rabbit trails. One can get a bite of meat, but really, what a waste of an hour that a good preacher, or one willing to prepare better sermons, could have used to such great effect.

The point being, there are all kinds of preachers out there, some really good, some really bad, and a whole host in between.

It is sad that this happens. I know pastors have it hard a lot of times because they have a church with people on all different spiritual levels. Some know hardly anything about the Bible while others are very well versed. I've had people come to me and say that they are not getting fed in church. My reply usually is, "How hungry are you?" Because when you are really hungry, anything sounds really good. :)

I love listening to preaching and according to the Bible His Word will not return void. As long as the Word of God is getting preached and I'm letting God work in me, I will get something out of that message, no matter if a kid is preaching or a seasoned preacher.

There is one thing about it. You can't eat meat unless you chew on it for a while first. All congregation members MUST apply their attention and a willingness to learn in order to get something. Most of the prOBlem with bad preachers is bad congregation. If you don't like the preacher you have....pray for the preacher you want. Most cases the change that comes is in you. 

John, I never said in my post that the preacher preaches the same message, so my post is true. :)

A missing part of the story of the OP is that we do not know if God was telling him to preach the message over and over. Maybe the members were not listening so God told the pastor to preach it again. God repeats himself in the Bible, so maybe the prOBlem is with us some times.

Yes we are to move from milk to meat, but some Christians are too lazy to learn to eat the meat.

Yes, there are bad pastors, but on the flip slide, there are bad members as well. We all have sinned.

Bro Matt, I was not referring to your post. As has been indicated in this thread, whatever specific the OP is referring to, we don't know the details so we can't speak to that specific church/pastor.

Without a doubt, the pastor and the congregation must do their part in order to receive the true and full benefit. Pointing back to the original OP, we can't know from the scant information given if the pastor or some in the congregation were right or wrong. Just because we discuss one aspect of an issue doesn't mean we are taking sides or giving one side a pass.

If I attend a service and spend my time staring at the ceiling fan, or Bro Ben's new hair cut, or Sister Judy's new hair style, or thinking about the ballgame coming in the afternoon, then I've failed to give my attention to the things of God. Whether the pastor preached a most excellent sermon or a real flat tire I wouldn't know. If I said I got nothing from the sermon, I would be right, but it would be my fault, not the pastor's or anyone else.

Reminds me of when I was in the youth ministry when other churches begin to entertain the youth and not teach them Gods word. many times God had me to continue to teach the same thing until His will was done,I lost some of the youth to the entertainment churches but others became strong disciples for Gods use.  this also may be the same with some pastors preaching the same sermons all the time and God wants changes to be made within the church and the sheep are not listening.

when someone cries out for the pastor to step down because of what he may be preaching if hes line with the Word of God,  it may be that person has let their heart become harden to conviction and repentance or have itching ears.(Satin working )

There could be a lot of reasons for this but when this happens we need to be in prayer for our pastors continually and support them with Godly love because they carry the burden for many.

God bless    

I remember several times when God was 'working' on something in me. During those times it seemed that every single sermon and devotional I heard would be on that particular thing. Lol! They actually weren't - they were on all sorts of different topics (or so the teachers thought), but God just turned them all to emphasize the same thing to me. Assuming the pastors in question weren't just preaching 'pet topics', this story makes me think that God was working on these men, and they just didn't want to hear it. If so, they would have found that removing the messenger wouldn't have changed the message - at least until God gave them to over their hard hearts.

Satan is at work hard in our area the past few months. In our church a member met with the deacons and asked the pastor to step down or be voted out. The reason......he's preaching the same things over and over. This happened 2 weeks ago. He did not step down and we did not vote him out. The member has not been back since.

Just this week in a church a few miles up the road a deacon stood before the congregation and demanded that the pastor be removed or step down. His reason.....he's preaching the same thing over and over.

BEWARE of this tactic from Satan. I know it's not new but it really hit home this past month. It's like he's going from church to church really hard and fast lately. He's working here in North Carolina now and headed your way. Prepare!!!

Be in much prayer that we not become complacent in our service for him.

If I was there, I will tell this man. When you stop wearing your same underwear over and over, will change the pastor.

I remember several times when God was 'working' on something in me. During those times it seemed that every single sermon and devotional I heard would be on that particular thing. Lol! They actually weren't - they were on all sorts of different topics (or so the teachers thought), but God just turned them all to emphasize the same thing to me. Assuming the pastors in question weren't just preaching 'pet topics', this story makes me think that God was working on these men, and they just didn't want to hear it. If so, they would have found that removing the messenger wouldn't have changed the message - at least until God gave them to over their hard hearts.

I feel like every Sunday he's preaching on witnessing. Like you, I have realized he's not. God's working on me to get better in that area. It was to the point I was listening and searching for all the key words related to witnessing. Maybe that's what was going on with the other member as well. You may have just hit the nail on the head Salyan.

Thanks,

I don't go to 'church' to be fed. I go to church to worship my God and Savior. I pray very hard about not losing site of Jesus Christ during the hours I'm at the 'church.' Sundays, Wednesdays, and other days. Yes, I try to get some fellowship in before Sunday School, before corporate worship, and after the Sunday morning message but, I seek out those folks who (1) share my need for God centered fellowship or, (2) need me to share God centered fellowship with them. If you're going to 'church' to be fed then you need the "milk" message over and over again. Folks aren't going to grow from walking into a Sunday morning gathering (late) and expecting to get their weekly 'dose' of God. Disciple these people and encourage them to get alone with God in prayer and in the Word (personal devotions). People grow when they have a personal daily walk with God. Tell them you'll help them understand any difficulties they have.

People are too quick to take their eyes off the Savior and too slow to get up next to Him. 

Seasoned folks are leaving the local church! What are they seasoned with? O.K., maybe they have a serious health prOBlem; if not then they are forgetting the one very important point of the Gospel...BUILD MY CHURCH! If they aren't building the church then what are they doing? It is NOT THE PASTOR'S RESPONSIBILITY to build the church. It's these folks who are turning their backs on the Savior's COMMAND to build His church, it's their responsibility.

Luke 18.8b "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? "

I don't go to 'church' to be fed. I go to church to worship my God and Savior. I pray very hard about not losing site of Jesus Christ during the hours I'm at the 'church.' Sundays, Wednesdays, and other days. Yes, I try to get some fellowship in before Sunday School, before corporate worship, and after the Sunday morning message but, I seek out those folks who (1) share my need for God centered fellowship or, (2) need me to share God centered fellowship with them. If you're going to 'church' to be fed then you need the "milk" message over and over again. Folks aren't going to grow from walking into a Sunday morning gathering (late) and expecting to get their weekly 'dose' of God. Disciple these people and encourage them to get alone with God in prayer and in the Word (personal devotions). People grow when they have a personal daily walk with God. Tell them you'll help them understand any difficulties they have.

People are too quick to take their eyes off the Savior and too slow to get up next to Him. 

Seasoned folks are leaving the local church! What are they seasoned with? O.K., maybe they have a serious health prOBlem; if not then they are forgetting the one very important point of the Gospel...BUILD MY CHURCH! If they aren't building the church then what are they doing? It is NOT THE PASTOR'S RESPONSIBILITY to build the church. It's these folks who are turning their backs on the Savior's COMMAND to build His church, it's their responsibility.

Luke 18.8b "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? "

if I was closer enough I 'd love to attend your church, but I'll pray for God to bless your ministry that many will come seeking the lord Jesus with a humbled heart 

God bless

Mat 16:18
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Somebody's confused.

Anishinaabe

Mat 16:18
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Somebody's confused.

Anishinaabe

My old flesh wanted to get haughty with you, but then, I realized you’re not well versed in scripture, and your remark is just a need to know further counsel from God’s word. So, instead of being a tool of the flesh, I decided to explain to you that Christians are a tool in the hand of the Living God, Jesus Christ, my Lord.

Exactly what is that rock? Jesus Christ is that rock, preach that.

2 Timothy 4:2   Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

What is the word? It’s the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all His commandments.

1 Corinthians 1:21   For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Matthew 28:19   Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 28:20   Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Rocks, dirt, and sand aren't nations, people are nations. Who is the command to? The command is to you, me, everyone; it is a circular, if you will, command. “Go ye;” Christ is telling you to baptize and teach. That’s the way Jesus Christ, very God, builds his church. He is the commander and we are the commanded.

10   For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11   For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12   To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Isaiah 28:10-12

14   How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15   And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16   But they have not all OBeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17   So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:14  

You've been sent; are you preaching God's word to the lost?. Go and hammer, chisel, mold out some disciples for the Lord and Savior. These folks who have turned their backs on building need to re-read the primer, God’s word. If God gives a pastor the same message repeatedly prOBably someone isn't catching on or God's calling the parishioners to get new folks to hear it. 

A story was told of a preacher who candidated for a church and preached the same message Sun am and pm. The church called him and the Sun he arrived preached the exact same thing that morn and eve as he had previously. The men tried to chalk it up to his being tired from moving.

He repeated the same identical message that Wed. Well when it occurred again the next Sunday morning one of the men spoke up and asked, "Don't you have more than ONE message?". The preacher replied, "Yes, sir. When some of the congregation does something about living this one, I'll move to the next."

In all seriousness: while I realize some get in a DEEP rut, when you boil it down to bare bones there's only about 7 things we can preach on.

1) Salvation --------------- Where we get Christ

2) Second Coming ------  Where Christ gets us

3) Sanctification ---------- Cleans the inside

4) Separation ------------- Cleans the outside

5) Service ----------------- What we do

6) Suffering --------------- What we go through

7) Scripture --------------- The answer to every question