• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Beware!devil At Work

paid4

• Members

Are you insinuating I attribute the souls in Christ's Bride with the work I do as a Christian to build the church?
I won't play games...I'll just give scripture.
Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Just taking you at your word.

Anishinabe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just taking you at your word.

Anishinabe

I see, while ignoring the Bible, go for it. You have a 'proud' history to fall back on, me...not so much.

"1 Timothy 6:4   He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,"

Imaswabbie

• Administrators

prophet, nowhere did Dave insinuate that Christians take the place of Christ in building the church. I totally understood what he was meaning - that Christians are to labor - ALL Christians, not just the pastor, in the work of building the church.  And what is the church?  The people.  Following scriptural instruction, we are to win them and help them grow in Christ.  That is building.  It cannot be done without the power of the Holy Spirit (a following can be accomplished, but it isn't building them in Christ).  And it is every Christian's responsibility.

Let's not be so quick to attack someone who uses a word with which we might disagree...how about simply asking for clarification instead of slamming someone right out.  Is that really so hard?

:11backtotopic:

• Moderators

The church I was sent out of, when they had a new pastor, the old music director/Asst. pastor and his wife left the church-the wife told the new pastor, "You're not my pastor and you never will be!" The husband, who had been very supportive of the former pastor, (the new pastor's father), "Well, you just don't preach about Jesus enough." And they left. Weak.

What burned me was this excuse, not preaching Jesus enough. Seriously, from the beginning of Genesis to the end of revelation, its ultimately ALL about Jesus, and anyone who can't see that is either blind, unsaved, or ignorant. I had really repected this couple-they helped start the church where I pastor now, and to see them take such a petty stance as they did was unsettling-it shows that anyone can wimp out.

By the way, while in some ways, I suppose the new pastor was lacking somewhat in the wisdom of his father, which I would rack up to inexperience, yet he was a fine preacher, knew his Bible and was enjoyable to hear. We used to join them for their Wed service, as we have a Thurs service. And my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with them. Sadly, not long after they lost their church due to lack of money, (sounds familiar) and they have, well, knid of dropped off the map. The last time we saw them, they came and visited our churc, gave us a particularly large offering, which we used to catch up on bills, and we never heard from them again. A real loss for us-they were good friends. Its my hope they have gone off to start a new work elsewhere.  

• Members

Mike, sadly this happend near me as well. Maybe 10 years ago a pastor I knew passed away. His son took over the church soon to be run out. Now I see him every so often and he has given up on his ministry. Sad!!

• Members

I see, while ignoring the Bible, go for it. You have a 'proud' history to fall back on, me...not so much.
"1 Timothy 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,"

Imaswabbie

I answered with Scripture, that actually included the wording .....

You are riled up at something that you are trying to imply that I said, or else you think that all of the Scripture you posted was about: us building the church.

We don't build the church, or bring the increase.

I've labored as much as the Master has asked of me.
I've knocked every door in an area.
Led many people to the Lord.
Baptized the ones who were not ashamed.
Assembled with them weekly, until they were stable.
Gave them Milk, til their teeth came in.
But I wasn't building the church.
I planted, and watered a little.
God brought the increase.

This is all I'm saying.

Do you find fault in it?

Anishinaabe

• Members

Building and Increase

Who do you call when you want a house built? Yes, the similarities are profound. Jesus Christ has called us to be builders. House building requires sticking to the planned design of the building. The plan for Christians is in the Bible with our spiritual eyes are fixed on Christ.

Romans 8:28   And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Hebrews 12:2a   Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;

Matthew 21:42   Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

I do not reject my Savior, Jesus Christ; he is my foundation stone, therefore…I do not labour in vain building for Christ; and yes I am ‘A’ builder not ‘THE’ author-finisher, just a common laborer.

Psalms 127:1   Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:

The letter to the Corinthians (1 Cor. 3:7) “God that giveth the increase” cannot be understood alone; this is rebuke given against the practice of Christians attributing their standing as if it were by pedigree, God forbid! However, vs. 7 must be read as part of Paul’s complete rebuke and exhortation vss. 1-15.

1 Corinthians 3:10   According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Does Paul err when referring to himself as a “wise masterbuilder?” No, because he gives Jesus Christ the glory, praise, and honor; and clarifies the foundation can only be Christ. I’m no Paul, but I’m also ordered to go and build by Matthew 28:19-20. How we build is the question not ‘if’ we are builders.

Psalms 127:1   Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:

Christians are builders and tools in His hands if surrendered to God for the purpose. There is no ‘Done’ and there is no ‘Finished’ for us, we continue to labour for Jesus Christ until He returns or until we’re called home.

Matthew 7:24   Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Matthew 7:25   And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

1 Corinthians 10:4   And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Romans 15:20   Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

We can mince words all day, Christ has called us to go and be laborers, workman, fellows, and builders. No matter if you deliver plant, water, cultivate, saw, hammer, or frame the Gospel, you are a fellow laborer with Christ. The harvest or house won't be built until Jesus Christ tells us to stop our labor. So, these folks who leave the fellow labor of building the church of Jesus Christ, because they’re tired of hearing a repeated scripture based message, are not right with God.

My Last Thought

Isaiah 6:8   Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

• Members

Or maybe maybe they leave the church to find another one where the Word is properly preached, where extra Biblical laws are non-existant, where the Gospel is preached! Where Jesus's name is praised, where we we hear of the miracle of the Ressurection and the power of His blood!,......

• Administrators

Or maybe maybe they leave the church to find another one where the Word is properly preached, where extra Biblical laws are non-existant, where the Gospel is preached! Where Jesus's name is praised, where we we hear of the miracle of the Ressurection and the power of His blood!,......

That does happen, for sure.  But often that isn't why people leave a church...

• Moderators

That's usually why people come to our church. :wink

• Members

That does happen, for sure.  But often that isn't why people leave a church...

There are a myriad if reasons why people leave church's, some are not bad reasons at all.( leave the area, relocation; change of views, etc) and some people may just come to the point in their lives where they decide that they don't believe at all. They may have been raised in a Christ centered home where the Gospel was shared and they just don't believe. I have seen it happen and that is the tragedy of it all. Maybe some people come for a while and never really feel welcomed at a particular church. There was somebody I met on this site who was attending a church who was attending who said they never felt welcomed at a particular church. The other woman never made her feel welcomed because she said she never dressed to their "standards".
Makes me sad when I see people get jacked up over people leaving because of "hard preaching" where more often than not, it's a pastor preaching on his hOBby horse and not really presenting Jesus glorified.

• Administrators

There are a myriad if reasons why people leave church's, some are not bad reasons at all.( leave the area, relocation; change of views, etc) and some people may just come to the point in their lives where they decide that they don't believe at all. They may have been raised in a Christ centered home where the Gospel was shared and they just don't believe. I have seen it happen and that is the tragedy of it all. Maybe some people come for a while and never really feel welcomed at a particular church. There was somebody I met on this site who was attending a church who was attending who said they never felt welcomed at a particular church. The other woman never made her feel welcomed because she said she never dressed to their "standards".
Makes me sad when I see people get jacked up over people leaving because of "hard preaching" where more often than not, it's a pastor preaching on his hOBby horse and not really presenting Jesus glorified.

I agree with everything you've said, except your use of "more often than not."  That would be as much broadbrushing as saying that everyone leaves a church for good reasons.  

There are, indeed, too many preachers who preach their opinion/hOBby horse.  And that is a sad thing.

Archived