• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why The Hypocrisy?

• Members

I'm trying to understand your purpose with this post. With the reply's that were mentioned, I was hoping that you would reply to some of the statements to clear things up, as there seems to be confusion with this post. Are you....

1) Saying you agreeing with fundamentalism that CCM is wrong, but tired of what you see as hypocrisy?

2) Just simply saying that you have an axe to grind with IFB?

3) Like CCM, but tired of IFB's not liking it but singing other songs similar to CCM?

I'm trying to understand your purpose with this post. With the reply's that were mentioned, I was hoping that you would reply to some of the statements to clear things up, as there seems to be confusion with this post. Are you....

1) Saying you agreeing with fundamentalism that CCM is wrong, but tired of what you see as hypocrisy?

2) Just simply saying that you have an axe to grind with IFB?

3) Like CCM, but tired of IFB's not liking it but singing other songs similar to CCM?

1. Yes.

2.  No.

3. No

I am a Fundamentalist KJO Baptist.

I am tired of hearing preachers preach against CCM when they are listening to music with the same type of worldly rhythm.

I am writing this because I am tired of churches using heavy worldly rhythms in their piano style and then turning around and preaching against the Rock Beat.

It's all the same type of Beat Syncopation, just different instruments, when we hear the style of rhythm on the drums and it's wicked, but the piano is ok?

I am calling for us IFB to start being consistent with how we apply the principles we use to place our standards.

Currently I reject CCM and Southern Gospell I even reject some songs put out by Colleges like West Coast, Massillon, Golden State, Champion, etc.. because they are using ragtimey, boogie boogie piano styles.

• Members

1. Yes.

2.  No.

3. No

I am tired of hearing preachers preach against CCM when they are listening to music with the same type of worldly rhythm.

I am writing this because I am tired of churches using heavy worldly rhythms in their piano style and then turning around and preaching against the Rock Beat.

It's all the same type of Beat Syncopation, just different instruments, when we hear the style of rhythm on the drums and it's wicked, but the piano is ok?

I am calling for us IFB to start being consistent with how we apply the principles we use to place our standards.

Currently I reject CCM and Southern Gospell I even reject some songs put out by Colleges like West Coast, Massillon, Golden State, Champion, etc.. because they are using ragtimey, boogie boogie piano styles.

So we don't want happy music and we don't want blue music.  That doesn't leave much if anything does it.

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

1. Yes.

2.  No.

3. No

Thank you for the explanation.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Can someone please explain to me in objective terms what a worldly rhythm is or worldly beat? Does the fact that secular musicians use certain rhythms make them sinful or fleshly? Does a song have to have uninteresting harmony, rhythm and melody to qualify as holy or is there a line that is crossed when these elements are becoming too interesting or "entertaining"? If that's the case why not promote singing songs with only one note and all straight even quarter notes? My guess is that there is no objective answers to these questions. Saying a song has a seductive element in the harmony or rhythm is probably just associating a sound with something you've heard an ungodly person make. All the styles of music ever performed have been used in ungodly environments by ungodly people but that does not make the style something we should avoid. I love good music. And yes I listen to lots of instrumental jazz, classical and more because it is very creative and interesting. Of course when you add words that promote sin then that definitely crosses the line but I rarely ever listen to secular music with words. There is lots of beautiful music out there without words. I believe we should use the same creativity when we make Christian music. Music should be beautiful. God made this world with such a variety of colors and interesting sites. He made a huge variety of animals, plants and minerals. There are theoretically no two snowflakes exactly alike, now that's variety! Why should we demand that music have boring redundant rhythms and only 4 or 5 chords and melodies that sound like many other melodies? 

• Moderators

As I understand it, there are types and styles of music that originated with specifically secular, sensual and often sexual music and venues.  For instance, I believe it was Paul McCartney who said, about the beatles music, that their intention, with their music, was to destroy some of the conventions in America, like obedience to parents and authority. There was an intention in the music, not just of theirs, but of all 'popular' music styles, most coming directly from old blues and jazz,, to incite attitueds of rebellion in the youth. Rock music virtually brought about the 'youth culture', the idea of the 'teenager', and the generation gap that came with it.

Those old enough to remember may recall a time when youth were treated as basically young adults-they had chores, were expected to act mature, and polite and respectful. With the music cultures came the youth cultures and rebellion against authority of all kinds. As far baclk as the 50's, the music of such tame musicians as Bill Haley and the Comets wrought violence in the streets by the youth attending the concerts. That was intentional and the music was the primary tool to bring it about.

Since, the music that has come from those roots, including rock of all stripes, rap, goth, pop, etc, etc, actively and openly promote fornication, violence, murder, drugs, abuse, spiritualism, worship of devils AND the performers, and rebellion in general.

So the point it, this type of music has an intention behind it, and this kind of filthy and profane music should never, ever be mixed with the things of God. Biblical lyrics mixed with profane music styles profanes our holy and sanctified God and Saviour, and such should not be. And the only reason it began to be used was to bring in numbers and make people comfortable-it changed the proper use of godly music, which is primarily to praise God or, secondarily, edify the believer, and made it to tickle the ears and raise the emotions. It has become about the listeners and performers, and is only about God for a pretense.

The musical style used generally in hymns as we know them for 500+ years, is a style that has developed primarily FOR hymns. Yes, ocasionally someone has snuck in profane tunes, but I would even today say to reject such. Just because someone puts it in a hymnal doesn't mean it's any good.

As for instruments, I have no problem with almost any instruments, depending on how they are used. Drums, except when used to accentuate a song, as seen in classical music, I reject because they are designed in their use, to bring a form of hypnosis through the beat. Drums are used in some cultures to summon devils, such as voodoo rituals and some african religions. New Agers use them in their drumming circles to bring a kind of hypnosis to all involved, opening one to posession. Drums I would shun.

• Members

Personally, I think everyone should be fully persuaded in their hearts about what music is good and what is bad. I've watch these arguments go on endlessly and turn into sniping at one another (behavior worse than music) about something that is a matter of conscience, IMO. That being said, if I was a pastor I would only allow the most conservative, traditional music and hymns to be played so as to not offend anyone. 

31 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

As I understand it, there are types and styles of music that originated with specifically secular, sensual and often sexual music and venues.  For instance, I believe it was Paul McCartney who said, about the beatles music, that their intention, with their music, was to destroy some of the conventions in America, like obedience to parents and authority. There was an intention in the music, not just of theirs, but of all 'popular' music styles, most coming directly from old blues and jazz,, to incite attitueds of rebellion in the youth. Rock music virtually brought about the 'youth culture', the idea of the 'teenager', and the generation gap that came with it.

Those old enough to remember may recall a time when youth were treated as basically young adults-they had chores, were expected to act mature, and polite and respectful. With the music cultures came the youth cultures and rebellion against authority of all kinds. As far baclk as the 50's, the music of such tame musicians as Bill Haley and the Comets wrought violence in the streets by the youth attending the concerts. That was intentional and the music was the primary tool to bring it about.

Since, the music that has come from those roots, including rock of all stripes, rap, goth, pop, etc, etc, actively and openly promote fornication, violence, murder, drugs, abuse, spiritualism, worship of devils AND the performers, and rebellion in general.

So the point it, this type of music has an intention behind it, and this kind of filthy and profane music should never, ever be mixed with the things of God. Biblical lyrics mixed with profane music styles profanes our holy and sanctified God and Saviour, and such should not be. And the only reason it began to be used was to bring in numbers and make people comfortable-it changed the proper use of godly music, which is primarily to praise God or, secondarily, edify the believer, and made it to tickle the ears and raise the emotions. It has become about the listeners and performers, and is only about God for a pretense.

The musical style used generally in hymns as we know them for 500+ years, is a style that has developed primarily FOR hymns. Yes, ocasionally someone has snuck in profane tunes, but I would even today say to reject such. Just because someone puts it in a hymnal doesn't mean it's any good.

As for instruments, I have no problem with almost any instruments, depending on how they are used. Drums, except when used to accentuate a song, as seen in classical music, I reject because they are designed in their use, to bring a form of hypnosis through the beat. Drums are used in some cultures to summon devils, such as voodoo rituals and some african religions. New Agers use them in their drumming circles to bring a kind of hypnosis to all involved, opening one to posession. Drums I would shun.

You never hear pastors talk about country or rap for some reason. Country is some of the most depressing music there is. Kids today listen to those styles of music more than rock music. Rock 'n Roll is just about a dead genre now.

• Members
8 hours ago, fastjav390 said:

Rock 'n Roll is just about a dead genre now.

Actually Rock n Roll is far from dead - it has progressed and changed into varying styles which are really sub styles of Rock n Roll.

You don't hear much about Rock n Roll itself so much because most people refer to their "Sub-style".

For instance, the band "kiss" from the 70's and 80's was considered full on Rock music, but now it has been reclassified into glam Rock, and is no longer considered to be "hard Rock".

Even what used to be called "Heavy Metal" is now referred to by many sub-styles. You rarely hear about "heavy Metal" now, because people talk about death metal, thrash metal, techno metal, hyper metal, and even soft metal????

Heavy Metal used to be a sub style of "Hard Rock" which was a sub style of Rock n Roll.....

I used to work with some young guys who were involved in cutting edge and metal music, and they were always talking about this stuff - that is why I know.

Rock n Roll is not dead, just divided into so many sub styles that "rock n Roll" is no longer enough to categorise a song....

They were always trying to get me to listen to their stuff, but I never would. They did however listen to some of my music - mostly accapella, and harmony strong acoustic music, and mostly hymns. But they did listen occasionally and even commented on the skill and "musicality" of it.

They wouldn't listen to the Gospel, but they did when they listened to the music. 

• Moderators
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, fastjav390 said:

You never hear pastors talk about country or rap for some reason. Country is some of the most depressing music there is. Kids today listen to those styles of music more than rock music. Rock 'n Roll is just about a dead genre now.

I do. But the main reason some don't is that it is pretty much all of the same cloth. Country is different in origin, but it is still bad, and nowadays is pretty much identical as pop and rock music. Rock n Roll is still very much alive, and has really become sort of a general term to cover a lot of different styles.

• Administrators

All I have to do is go to a grocery store or a restaurant and I know rock-n-roll is still very much alive.  Rap music actually can be said to be a derivative of rock, since it was pulled from funk and disco (both of them being offshoots).  As Uke said, country is pretty much like rock music now, too. When I was younger, preachers preached against country as actually more dangerous because it was supposed to be so family-oriented. I never could figure out how a genre that sang about the kind of stuff many country songs did could be considered family-oriented, though.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This is not to even mention that some, or most of the country "greats" are some of the most degenerate people in relation to their life style and beliefs.

And they think that throwing a gospel song or two out there makes them special Christians. Sadly, many people fall for that and believe that these singers are great, godly people. 

• Moderators

And even the scular rock musicians, (or maybe they're country, I'm not sure anymore), like to throw in biblical-sounding terms. I hear it a lot at work from people who blast their music. There's one where the lyrics in the chorus are "Holy, holy, holy, holy, I'm hiiiigh on loving you, hiiiigh on loving you..." They like to throw in a lot of hallelujas and hosannas and the like, with a context not at all about the Lord. They try to put on a aire of worship without even know the God to whom all worship is to be directed.