• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why The Hypocrisy?

• Members

My dad was so heartbroken when Ray Boltz "came out" as a sodomite. My dad's entire track repertoire was Ray Boltz, because they have the same range. My dad sang "Thank You", "Watch the Lamb", "The Anchor Holds", "Scars". He and I are in a similar position when it comes to trying to find accompaniment tracks for singing special music (his range is Ray Boltz, mine is more like Sandi Patty's). We don't have a full-time pianist at church, so oftentimes we have to use "canned music" to play when we sing hymns. It gets really hard for me to find decent music these days :(

• Members

I know of no IFB's who support Southern Gospel and say it's ok.

Reallyn did you know that Gaither's song "because he lives" found in many Hymnals is done with Southern Gospel styled music and many IFB churches play it that way. 

So I am surprised to hear you say that. 

Unless you have not been to a lot of IFB churches as I have.  Being a Missionary we visit many and a lot of them use southern gospel styled music and even bluegrass styled music and some down right plain old hillbilly styled music as well, alto voice and all.

• Members

My dad was so heartbroken when Ray Boltz "came out" as a sodomite. My dad's entire track repertoire was Ray Boltz, because they have the same range. My dad sang "Thank You", "Watch the Lamb", "The Anchor Holds", "Scars". He and I are in a similar position when it comes to trying to find accompaniment tracks for singing special music (his range is Ray Boltz, mine is more like Sandi Patty's). We don't have a full-time pianist at church, so oftentimes we have to use "canned music" to play when we sing hymns. It gets really hard for me to find decent music these days :(

almost all the Hymns can be found on MIDI and if your sound device plays MIDI you can get most of the music  The prOBlem is most of the MIDI accompaniments are very old styled organ sounding.

My wife is Sandi Patty style too.

I think it is useless to come to a final decision on an issue like this.  But the more the music moves the flesh than the spirit the more I stay away from it.  Shame about Ray Boltz.

• Members

Our hymnal has some older songs by the Gaithers but our pastor won't sing any of them for even appearing to approve of their current style. Yes, I've only been to a handful of IFB churches that my pastor associates with so I'm grateful for his selective associates!

• Members

No Miss Daisy. The OP and those who support it. This forum has simply been allowed to run rampant with heretics who are either Calvinist or ex-fundies all with an axe to grind against IFB churches, members and pastors. It's one thing to explain issues to those who truly want to learn what we believe and why, it's wholly another to have to keep an eye on skeptics all of the time who join here for the sole intent of belittling the IFB. That's why so many have left, or just lay dormant and contact each other through private messages.

IFB's are not a denomination.  And many many do not all agree on every issue and music is one of them. 

I have some rules of thumb.

If the flesh moves and not the spirit then don't use it.

If the flesh is motivated and not the spirit then don't preach it

the works of the flesh are not all listed in Galatians 5 and we know that from the term "and such like"  and so we see the works of the flesh by the flesh and how it is moved or motivated.

Music can move and motivate flesh and spirit we just need to be alert and judging rightly.

• Members

Our hymnal has some older songs by the Gaithers but our pastor won't sing any of them for even appearing to approve of their current style. Yes, I've only been to a handful of IFB churches that my pastor associates with so I'm grateful for his selective associates!

But Because He Lives is such a spiritually encouraging song.  Boy if he judged all the songs in his hymnal that way you all wouldn't be singing much.

do you all sing "A mighty fortress is our God"?

• Members

No Miss Daisy. The OP and those who support it. This forum has simply been allowed to run rampant with heretics who are either Calvinist or ex-fundies all with an axe to grind against IFB churches, members and pastors. It's one thing to explain issues to those who truly want to learn what we believe and why, it's wholly another to have to keep an eye on skeptics all of the time who join here for the sole intent of belittling the IFB. That's why so many have left, or just lay dormant and contact each other through private messages.

I am IFB though..

• Members

Nearly everyone of you commenting on this missed the very opening of this guys thread, because he was so sneaky about it: Read what  he said again:  

"Why is that we fundamentalists reject CCM because it uses the Rock and Roll beat" (emphasis added). The remainder of his reasons for calling the IFB hypocrites was irrelevant to what his opening premise was. As such, I already gave my answer above. 

If you don't like the music in the IFB church, then for God's sake and your pastors, please GET OUT before you cause any more division in that church, or before you end up "coming out" like the rest of CCM artists are doing right now.

Edited by Dr James Ach

• Members

Sometimes a brother that almost always dislikes anyone 'posting' here,

just can't live unless he causes division between people of like faith,

in casual conversations about things of life. Yes, Dr. Ach is at it again.

Just don't get 'personal' with him and he won't try to 'investigate' you and

try to destroy your testimony on here as a 'real' child of God. Meanwhile,

he never seems to really answer anything. He is vindictive and a 'hater' of

anything that goes against his beliefs. Even if we 'don't know better', he treats

us as if we were 'enemies' to the truth of Gods pure word. Not that we can't learn from him.

Maybe learn 'what not to be like'? How about reading beyond the first section of a sentence?

How about responding 'as if' the person questioning really is a Christian, and quit living so much

in the world of conspiracies, and actually fellowshipping amongst us, instead of over us.

It really makes one think of the verse,(in conspiratorial thinking of course) that truly the verse

that says, " As concerning the Gospel, they are enemies for your sakes..." 

Bet I get in trouble with this one.

Get that 'Bro' Ach? Who's סוֹכֵן are you?