• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking For New Good Music

Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I am currently looking for new music, I have recently turned away from Southern Gospel.

I am convinced that heavy ragtime/ swing/ boogie woogie rhythms have no place in sacred music.

Can you recommend some music?

I really do not like large choir style music because I have a hard time picking out the words.

thanks in advance. 

• Members

I love the Frye family/brothers. I would consider them to be conservative southern gospel. We are very conservative in our music and we like them very much.

Marshall family also has very conservative mildly southern style music.

• Members

Personally, I have chosen to permanently eliminate music from my life, but I would suggest that you try what Jordan is doing; stop listening to any music at all for at least thirty days; longer if you can.

I think it is similar to when a thirsty alcoholic tries to quit drinking whiskey by switching to wine, when what his body really needs is water.  He must get sOBer first, before he can make a clear headed distinction of what is healthy and what is not.

for about 2 days I stopped listening to everything.

Of course I do not want to go extended periods of time, I believe music is important to believers with all of it's references and such.

I currently am listening to the Psalms set to music, which is really uplifting spritually.

• Members

Personally, I have chosen to permanently eliminate music from my life, but I would suggest that you try what Jordan is doing; stop listening to any music at all for at least thirty days; longer if you can.

I think it is similar to when a thirsty alcoholic tries to quit drinking whiskey by switching to wine, when what his body really needs is water.  He must get sOBer first, before he can make a clear headed distinction of what is healthy and what is not.

Comparing music to alcoholism is ridiculous! Eph 5:19 is clearly teaching that music is an important aspect of our lives in worship, prayer and fellowship. The Psalms clearly show that music and dancing were used in Isreal during OT days. And I see nothing that would make us stop using music now

• Members

I think sometimes it's more healthy to replace bad with good than to replace bad with a void.

For instance if your diet is bad, you replace it with healthy food in moderation....and if you fast, it's only for a very short time.

• Members

This has been a prOBlem for centuries.Some churches insist on metrical Psalms, which attitude"inspired" Isaac Watts to use his poetical gifts on the Psalms and (dreadful heretic) to write hymns.

Before that, congregational worship was limited - the classical church music was sung by the choir. Music for people to sing in worship was unknown.

imo good church music comprises Scripture words and themes set to tunes that can be sung unaccompanied - which means they are memorable.

In recent years many of the hymns by Getty and Townend are excellent - once you sing the melody without the band. A number are on youtube with Krystin singing to Keith's piano.

Google - Getty Good Shepherd of my soul -I introduced it last Sunday and it was well received.

• Members

Please read my comparison again.  I was not comparing music to alcoholism;  I was comparing music with thirst.  We experience thirst because there are healthy liquids that will both quench our thirst and nourish our bodies.  However, thirst can be perverted to the point that we thirst for things that not only are harmful to us, but cause us to crave more and more of what it is that harms us.

I am not suggesting that anyone else abstain from music entirely; that is a decision that I have made for myself because of my life long OBsession with it.   I also no longer enjoy listening to any type of music whatsoever because of the side effects of the permanent hearing conditions that I have due to an accident with musical equipment.

Wow! I am very sorry to hear that! That must be frustrating to endure.

• Members

This has been a prOBlem for centuries.Some churches insist on metrical Psalms, which attitude"inspired" Isaac Watts to use his poetical gifts on the Psalms and (dreadful heretic) to write hymns.

Before that, congregational worship was limited - the classical church music was sung by the choir. Music for people to sing in worship was unknown.

imo good church music comprises Scripture words and themes set to tunes that can be sung unaccompanied - which means they are memorable.

In recent years many of the hymns by Getty and Townend are excellent - once you sing the melody without the band. A number are on youtube with Krystin singing to Keith's piano.

Google - Getty Good Shepherd of my soul -I introduced it last Sunday and it was well received.

I am listening with my wife right now.

Nice and spiritual.

• Members

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that I believe the following...

A few months ago, I ran across an article about a woman (Suzanne Haik-Vantoura) who said that she had found "the music of the Bible". Supposedly, she discovered that the accent marks of some of the letters in the Hebrew Masoretic manuscripts were musical notes. She claimed that the music used to sing the Psalms (and other portions of the Old Testament) has been there all along, but after the Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D., the knowledge of this must have been lost over time.

Again...I'm not saying that I believe this...I did find it interesting and possibly plausible...but I'm not a Hebrew scholographer.  :coverlaugh:

Anyway, I listened to several of the songs that she came up with by using this system, and I did enjoy most of what I heard. I would post a link, but it would just be one song.  If you're interested, go to YouTube, and type in "The Music of the Bible Revealed".

Again...I'm not saying that I believe this.

Archived