• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is God Forcing Me To Marry?

• Members

I don't even know where to begin.  So, I'm 15, I'm a Christian and BTW, homeschooled :mellow: (I guess you can tell that I don't like being homeschooled, it's caused half the prOBlems I'm having currently..) Anyways... So last year this really ugly guy who looks like a 12 year old (and acts like one) who's really weird and nerdy and OBSESSED with harry Potter (that's another story) and dresses like a little kid too, started coming to my homeschool-group.  Well, I, needless to say, do NOT like him. But the other day I was praying to God inmyu quiet time and somehow got the thought that that boy is the one I'm going to marry. Ugh. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. I don't want to marry him. EVER. I'm only 15. WHy is God doing this to me? DO you think this is really God's will? Do you think He will let me choose if I want to or not or do I HAVE to. I have been absolutly miserable for days now and I need some advice. I don't want to marry someone like that. WIll God let me choose who I want to marry or is he forcing me to marry him? HELP ME. :bawling: Why would God do this to me?

• Administrators

Just because you've had a thought while praying does not mean God put it there. God is not "doing this" to you.  You are young and you are reacting quite emotionally to your thought.  Just stop...take some deep breaths and know that God will never force something like this upon one of His children.  He loves you and wants only the best for you.  Rest assured that, as you mature emotionally, physically, and spiritually, God will lead you and when He does show you who He wants you to marry (if anyone) it will not make you want to throw up.

Based on just the little bit that you've shared, allyoop, I'm thinking that you need to surrender to the Lord in some areas.  I'm sorry you don't like being homeschooled, but that is the choice your parents have made...and you need to honor them by making the most of that and by allowing God to work in your life.  Quiet time with the Lord does not draw us closer to Him if we have resentment in our hearts.  ;)

• Members

Just because you've had a thought while praying does not mean God put it there. God is not "doing this" to you.  You are young and you are reacting quite emotionally to your thought.  Just stop...take some deep breaths and know that God will never force something like this upon one of His children.  He loves you and wants only the best for you.  Rest assured that, as you mature emotionally, physically, and spiritually, God will lead you and when He does show you who He wants you to marry (if anyone) it will not make you want to throw up.

Based on just the little bit that you've shared, allyoop, I'm thinking that you need to surrender to the Lord in some areas.  I'm sorry you don't like being homeschooled, but that is the choice your parents have made...and you need to honor them by making the most of that and by allowing God to work in your life.  Quiet time with the Lord does not draw us closer to Him if we have resentment in our hearts.  ;)

The Bible says in Ephesians 6:1 & 2:

1 Children, OBey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

My oldest hated being homeschooled and gave us endless grief throughout his High school years. Then he went into the Navy and four weeks into boot camp, after he saw and heard the results from all his peers that were public schooled, he called us up and in tears said, “Mom and Dad, I am so glad you did what you did”. I’ll never forget that call. After serving 4 successful years in the Navy he is now applying his G.I. Bill to a college education in Chemistry and has just finished his Sophomore year having straight As throughout.

Trust your parents, and make the best of the situation you are in. You will never be happy or comfortable kicking against the pricks. (Acts 9:5).

But the other day I was praying to God inmyu quiet time and somehow got the thought that that boy is the one I'm going to marry.

The key part of this phrase to me was that you "got the thought". God's thoughts are not our thoughts:

Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Just because you happen to be praying at the time does not mean every thought that pops into your head is from God. Personally I think Satan is even more active when we are in prayer as he hates when we fellowship or get close with God. What LuAnne said above is very practical and wise advice. At 15 you shouldn't even be concerned about marriage, with the possible exception of endeavoring to make yourself the best possible help meet you can be for the man God eventually chooses for you (if that is His intent). Let God worry about the match making.

• Moderators

:goodpost:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Marriage is a beautiful picture of the relationship between Christ and His bride the church. God never ever forced anyone to get married. He leaves the choice soley up to you. But God's Word does give us specific guidelines to follow when making the decision to marry or not to marry.

I Corinthians 7:27-39

• Members

hey that happened to me and it was a shock.  So I told the Lord hey this lady doesn't even like me.  so I threw it back into his hands and said.  If she is the one you want me to marry then you have to change her heart.

10 months later while on a short term mission outreach.  She insisted on talking to me and it turned out God was speaking to her about me.  And for some reason I said all the things she wanted to hear.  A year and a half later we were married and have been for 16 years, the mother of my only three children.

Requirements for marriage is that he is a Christian.  A Harry Potter fan doesn't sound like a Christian to me.  Not all home schoolers are Christians some are secular libertarians.

• Members

Maybe God is wanting you to share your faith with him. You are OBviously having thoughts about this person. Most of the time throughout my life when God puts someone on my mind it's to either pray for them or witness to them.

Give him the gospel. Besides we're all ugly and nerdy and sinful until Christ has come into our heart. Let God change his life through you.

God Bless and let us know how it goes.

• Members

Speaking on marriage, is there anytime when it is wrong for someone to make the decision not to marry simply because it is not their desire to? I am 38, and have never had the desire to marry. However, my pastor seems to imply often that everyone should desire to marry.

• Administrators

Speaking on marriage, is there anytime when it is wrong for someone to make the decision not to marry simply because it is not their desire to? I am 38, and have never had the desire to marry. However, my pastor seems to imply often that everyone should desire to marry.

The Bible tells us that it is good for man to marry - but it does not state that it is required.  

"Delight thyself also in the LORD and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."  As you walk with God, He will put the desires into your heart that He wants you to have.  If you are open to the idea of marriage if it's what God wants you to do, He will show you what to do - either way.

I think 1 Cor. 7 is pretty clear on the matter...marriage is not a command for anyone.

• Members

MK, I'm in exactly the same place as you and I think I've asked that question before on here and the consensus has been no not sinful.

• Members

Maybe God is wanting you to share your faith with him. You are OBviously having thoughts about this person. Most of the time throughout my life when God puts someone on my mind it's to either pray for them or witness to them.

Give him the gospel. Besides we're all ugly and nerdy and sinful until Christ has come into our heart. Let God change his life through you.

God Bless and let us know how it goes.

I agree with that

• Members

1 Corinthians 7:7-9

Paul was not married. He says it is good to stay that way if you can.

In verse 32 Paul seems to imply that the unmarried can be more focused on the Lord.

(Please pardon the wording of that last statement fellow married faithful. I didn't know another way to put it). 

I can understand that somewhat from a married point of view.

As an unmarried you don't have to worry about your spouse, kids, housing, or parents (in-laws)

This frees you from lots of responsibility that could cause you to spend your life working to keep them happy.

Anyway, there is no demand or command to marry like HC said earlier.

• Members

The closest I can come to finding that God wants us to marry is in the first couple chapters of the Bible.

For man, there was no helpmeet. And God said, it is not good for man to be alone. I will make him an helpmeet. For this cause shall a man leave his mother and father and cleave to a wife.

There is no such thing as "helpmeet", and you have misrepresented the Scripture, here (prOBably not on purpose).

Gen 2:20
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

1.' Help' and 'meet' are separate words.
2. 'Help' is acting as a noun.
It is modified by the indefinite article adjective : 'an' , and the adjective :'meet' .
3. In English, the compound word would be properly expressed as : 'meethelp', with the adjective placed in front of the noun, as in :"bridegroom".

• Members

Haven't misprepresented God's Word at all.  I simply did not put a space between the two words.  It is still the same message.  God said man needs someone like himself in that passage.  And who did God create for him to be a help meet?  Another animal?  No.  Another man? No.  A Woman. 

And God said for this cause shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave unto a wife... for what cause?  To find a helpmeet.  Why?  Because it is not good for him to be alone.

Sorry prophet1, no misrepresentation on my part at all.

Archived