• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God’S 1St Example Of Grace

Donald

• Members

Brother, I recognize no Catholic, Reformed, or Replacement Theology. The King James Bible plainly says that Adam and Eve were "naked" and "not ashamed".  Why would I believe unsaved Rabbis for my understanding when God gave me all I need in His Word? Many Jews read the Torah but can't see Jesus in Isaiah 53 or anywhere else because they are spiritually blind. Understand that we are commanded to be good to God's chosen people and I believe in supporting Israel as well., But a Jew is a son of Abraham only by genetics....he's just as lost as any other sinner until he gives His heart to Jesus and gets born again. 

• Members

Brother, I recognize no Catholic, Reformed, or Replacement Theology. The King James Bible plainly says that Adam and Eve were "naked" and "not ashamed".  Why would I believe unsaved Rabbis for my understanding when God gave me all I need in His Word? Many Jews read the Torah but can't see Jesus in Isaiah 53 or anywhere else because they are spiritually blind. Understand that we are commanded to be good to God's chosen people and I believe in supporting Israel as well., But a Jew is a son of Abraham only by genetics....he's just as lost as any other sinner until he gives His heart to Jesus and gets born again. 

I am well aware of those who forbid even using a "concordance" and will lable you a "heretic" if you do.

They also forbid reading of "commentaries"  or studying archeological findings (like the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example),

or any "history" of any sort, or even "scientific" literature.  They have become, in many ways, like the Dark Ages Catholic Church, IMO.

There is a body of New Testament writings that will be extremely significant to Hebrews ("Jews") during the Tribulation.

As well, I have a feeling that other ancient writings lay yet undiscovered which will reaffirm that Jesus was indeed The Messiah of Israel.

I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence,
and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early. Hosea 5:15

• Members

I am well aware of those who forbid even using a "concordance" and will lable you a "heretic" if you do.

They also forbid reading of "commentaries"  or studying archeological findings (like the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example),

or any "history" of any sort, or even "scientific" literature.  They have become, in many ways, like the Dark Ages Catholic Church, IMO.

There is a body of New Testament writings that will be extremely significant to Hebrews ("Jews") during the Tribulation.

As well, I have a feeling that other ancient writings lay yet undiscovered which will reaffirm that Jesus was indeed The Messiah of Israel.

Hello beemeup

Although I do use concordances & commentaries on occasion, and we should NEVER be afraid of any true "scientific literature”(because all real science agrees and backs up the Bible)......

I draw a line at archeological findings, including the Dead Sea Scrolls, because WE ALREADY HAVE GOD’S COMPLETED WORD!!  
That which is “perfect” has come, therefore that which is “in part”, can be done away with.

As for “other ancient writings yet to be discovered which will reaffirm that Jesus was indeed The Messiah of Israel”... All that, will be “extra-Biblical” so therefor will not truly help anyone.

All that anybody will ever need is God’s Word.......
Matthew 22:29   Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Romans 1:16   For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1 Corinthians 1:18   For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 2:5   That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

2 Corinthians 6:7   By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

• Members

Hello beemeup

Although I do use concordances & commentaries on occasion, and we should NEVER be afraid of any true "scientific literature”(because all real science agrees and backs up the Bible)......

I draw a line at archeological findings, including the Dead Sea Scrolls, because WE ALREADY HAVE GOD’S COMPLETED WORD!!  
That which is “perfect” has come, therefore that which is “in part”, can be done away with.

As for “other ancient writings yet to be discovered which will reaffirm that Jesus was indeed The Messiah of Israel”... All that, will be “extra-Biblical” so therefor will not truly help anyone.

All that anybody will ever need is God’s Word.......
Matthew 22:29   Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Romans 1:16   For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1 Corinthians 1:18   For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 2:5   That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

2 Corinthians 6:7   By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

So, you would be considered a "partial heretic" in some IFB churches that I am familiar with?

There is a very easy way to "discern" and "eat the meat, and spit out the bones"

and that is by truly "walking in the Spirit".  When one is truly "walking in the Spirit"

then you are free from the bondage of "taste not, touch not, handle not".

If they and their "congregation" are not truly "walking in the Spirit"

then there is legalism, and dependency on the "congregation"

to supply them with the "rules" to tell them what they are permitted

and what they are not permitted to see, hear, or read.

Been there, done that.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free,
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

• Members

One of the ways I use a concordance, is to look up a Bible word and try to determine which basic root meaning will fit all it's occurrences in the KJB. I also occasionally look up things in commentaries and it's helpful sometimes but I don't always take the commentary's word for it. I like to read about archaeological discoveries in the Middle East and how they confirm what the Bible says. But I'm usually skeptical of worldly archaeologists' interpretations of these finds.

• Members

As I have demonstrated in some of my previous threads, I have some prOBlems with what seems to be “established IFB teachings”.  And I have learned from this forum, that all IFB’s are not the same.

Today’s thread has to do with Adam & Eve and what they did themselves, to cover their nakedness.

This is what the Bible says they did.......
“And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they [were] naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.” (Genesis 3:7)

The IFB pastors that I am hanging around now seem to teach, that if Adam & Eve had sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves coats, then God would have been satisfied and would not have seen the need to make them coats from animal skins!

Don’t get me wrong, these men do not teach a works based salvation and they always make it very clear, that our good works have NOTHING to do with our salvation.  But they seem to be so enamored with the idea of any kind of nudity, that they sometimes go too far.

For sure, we all see the great value of women dressing in “modist apparel”.  But to STRETCH this passage in Genesis to MAKE IT about an issue of modesty, instead of a foreshadowing of our Lord’s sacrifice for us, is a dangerous practice.
-----------
My question is.... is this view of Gen.3:7 as widespread as I think it is?

This is one of my most favorite scripture passages. It clearly shows the pattern of Christ's sacrifice for our sin. Beautiful pattern set up some 4,000+ years before Christ was born. Don't tell me God's not real!!!

1. First their eyes were opened. vs. 7 (Knowledge of sin)

2. Sewed fig leaves vs. 7 (Man's way of righteousness don't work)

3. I heard thy voice  vs. 10  (They heard the word of God)

4. Were afraid vs. 10 (Fear of the Lord beginning of knowledge)

5. Tried to hide vs. 10

6. God called unto him vs.9 (God seeks us) 

7. Made them coats of skins vs. 21 (Blood was shed and sin covered)

Without shed blood there is no remission of sin. Have you ever noticed that Cain and Able is a similar picture with Cain sacrificing produce and Able shedding blood. That's why Cain's sacrifice to God wasn't good enough. (Genesis 4:1-6) IF Adam, Eve, and Cain's sacrifice would have been sufficient then Christ paid way too much for my salvation.

That's the gospel in Genesis. I think your pastor would have been better suited to preach more on being ashamed from those passages and tied shame into the dress code instead of stretching it with something that he may have heard somewhere from someone else.

The old time preachers were still imperfect just like we are. But to answer your question, no this view is not widespread.

P.S. Sorry about the mini sermon. I just get really excited when talking about this portion of scripture.

• Members

One of the ways I use a concordance, is to look up a Bible word and try to determine which basic root meaning will fit all it's occurrences in the KJB. I also occasionally look up things in commentaries and it's helpful sometimes but I don't always take the commentary's word for it. I like to read about archaeological discoveries in the Middle East and how they confirm what the Bible says. But I'm usually skeptical of worldly archaeologists' interpretations of these finds.

Thanks.

One of the things that make, for example, Hebrews and Jude so difficult to understand is that they were written to a Hebrew audience 

and (unfortunately) all the detailed information of pre-first-century Judiasm has been lost*, and any that was available was "disregarded"

in the formation of the Roman Emperor's State Religion (ie: Catholicism). 

That is one reason why I depend upon the Apostle to the Gentiles for my doctrine, and spend very limited time in the Hebrew Epistles.  However, God put those Hebrew Epistles in there for a very good reason.  Those Epistles of Hebrews - Jude will be of great importance during the Tribulation, just like they were to those of the circumcision in the first century.  

2 Timothy 2:15

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Members

Heartstrings, Do a word study on the people in the story of Ruth sometime. The meanings of the names and the timing of how they are introduces have the message of the gospel written all over it. Very Interesting!!!! You'll have to dig into the roots on some of them but it's well worth it.

Archived