• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance And How To Properly Share The Gospel

• Members

2bLikeJesus

I am new here and don't want to make any enemies or be contentious. I just hope to be able to edify and build up other Christians, especially Independent Baptists. Please don't take what I say as an offence or think that I am "talking down" to you, I mean it only to try to point someone in the right direction.

In that context and not to be rude or inconsiderate, your post is one of the main reasons I said in my previous post that I will never listen to or watch media preachers. You admitted that J. Vernon McGee was not without error. My question would be; Why would you listen to a man that OBviously is in error in his preaching?

Another question rears its head in this context, I mentioned it in my previous post. "Why would anyone in a Bible believing Independent Baptist Church feel the need to listen to anyone outside of that local church?" This question is especially important in the context of admitted error in that preaching.

J. Vernon McGee was a Presbyterian first and Interdenominational last. As an Independent Baptist ( I am assuming that you are) do you not know that to be Interdenominational you have to agree with many differing doctrines? This is why so many that listen to media preachers get so far from Independent Baptist doctrine. This is the spirit of compromise. If I have the truth of God's word, what incentive is there to compromise it?

I suppose some would think that they can take what good there is and reject the error. But that is like thinking that a liitle poison in small doses won't hurt you. Remember that God's Word says: "Gal 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not OBey the truth?
 8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
 9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

You may have heard the old illustration that rat poison is 99% good grain and 1% poison, it's the 1% that effectively kills the rat.

The Apostle paul had some choice words for those that perverted God's word:  Acts 13:6 And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:
 7 Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
 8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
 9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
 10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

This is the kind of plain Scriptural action that should be practiced by God's people when they know that the truth has been compromised.

God bless you as you serve Him.

No preacher is without error. 

Example:  Most IFB pastors teach their congregations that God requires a monetary tithe.  (yours may too ) Yet, such a doctrine is found nowhere in Scripture.  Rather, it was invented in the Catholic institution in AD 777.

If we were to follow your logic, then we must reject the majority of IFB pastors.  Maybe yours as well.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Administrators

No preacher is without error. 

Example:  Most IFB pastors teach their congregations that God requires a monetary tithe.  Yet, such a doctrine is found nowhere in Scripture.  Rather, it was invented in the Catholic institution in AD 777.

If we were to follow your logic, then we must reject the majority of IFB pastors.  Maybe yours as well.

Of course you are correct in stating that no preacher is without error. They are human and they make mistakes, interpret incorrectly, have their own peculiarities and biases. But I guess what I was trying to get at was serious doctrinal differences like you see when comparing Baptist to other so called denominations. In pointing to J. vernon McGee it should have been OBvious that men like him cannot hold to uncompromising sound doctrine if they are Inter-denominational. Different denominations exist because of their differences in doctrine.

I was also trying to address the question of why someone in a doctrinally sound Independent work would feel the need to go elsewhere, outside of his or her own church.

I was also concerned about the aspect of allowing yourself to be influenced by known doctrinally unsound teaching.

Perhaps I need to be more careful to explain myself better. I'll try better in the future.

• Members

No offense taken at all Bro. Alaska.  If I am ever offended it is MY fault for having to much pride.  About the only time you will ever get under my skin is if you attack my Pastor, my kids, or anyone else I love.  When it comes to church doctrine and bible though, I really can't be offended if you have a scriptural basis for  what you have said.  In this instance, you are indeed standing on solid ground concerning J Vernon McGee.  I will say though that 95% of what J Vernon McGee says is a plain and direct reading of the King James Bible, the programs name is "Through the Bible with J Vernon McGee".  He just makes commentaries on certain passages from time to time that are not sound doctrine (like female deacons).   The same can be said with one of my bibles I use.  I would never dream of using anything but the Authorized Version, but ONE of my many bibles is a Thompson Chain KJV.  Some of the "comments" in it, at the beginning of each chapter are definitely bad doctrine  (such as "written to the church" but its in the book of Isaiah), but I ignore those and use it for its "chains" of scriptural references for like terms and precepts, so for that it can be a good study aid.

Bro. Garry 

• Members

I guess its just me and having been so "sheltered" from all this sort of stuff from spending so much of my Christian life in remote Alaska. But I see people all over this board that OBviousley listen to and watch radio and TV preachers.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would feel the need to watch or listen to these men if they are members of a Bible believing Independent Baptist Church. Are they not getting all they need from their own church?

Why wade through all the different teachings of these men when we supposedly have the Spirit led truth in our local churches?

For my part, I never have and never will listen to or watch media preachers. I guess I really am a local church guy, but I don't make any apologies for it

I don't have any cable to watch TV.  If I turn it on it is all static not even a local station comes up.  It was the same way overseas in the missionfield no Cable and no local stations.  I spent more hours in the word of God than anything else.

• Members

I would normally get the CD's of preaching meetings that I go to.
We try to get to the "National Baptist Fellowship Meetings" each year if we are able. (Hard, as we live so far away from everywhere. Driving 4000 km to the meetings this year - each way).
I get the preaching and make it available for anyone to borrow.
But it is all Baptist.

• Members

Salvation is offered, because we are sinners. Why would anyone get saved if they didn't see their need of salvation?

Yes, we are saved by faith alone in the substitutionary death, burial, and resurrection of Christ; however, let's not forget what the gospel is...

1 Corinthians 15:3-4
3   For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4   And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Recognizing that you're a sinner is to recognize your need of salvation, and salvation is offered to...sinners.

• Members

We are saved when we believe God.

He offers a promise.
He cant lie.
We take Him at His Word.

He offers us a marriage, as a suitable groom, and we accept His invitation.

He offers us a free gift, and we accept it.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.

• Members

Did any of you guys listen to the message I linked to in the original post?

I listened to it up until about the 20 minute mark when you walked away from your microphone.  Couldn't hear what you were saying, so stopped the playback.

You paint a wrong picture of door-to-door evangelism/witnessing.  I've done it many times, and had many come to my house as well over the years.  Not once have I heard what you say they do. 

Most knock on doors and when the person opens, will say:  "My name is '_______", and I am from "________" Church.  We are visiting the neighborhood today, sharing Jesus Christ with those who are interested and inviting them to Church Sunday morning.  Do you attend Church anywhere?"

The answer, of course, determines the direction that the evangelist/witness will go in the conversation.  If the person does not know the Lord, and is willing to listen, the person is told how Christ came to the world to save man from sin, how He died according to the Scripture, was buied, and rose again the third day according to the Scripture.  The Gospel was always given in every instance I have ever been involved in, whether the witness or the hearer.  

So, it is not just a thing of knocking on the door and when they answer, `1-2-3, repeat after me. 

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I listened to it up until about the 20 minute mark when you walked away from your microphone.  Couldn't hear what you were saying, so stopped the playback.

You paint a wrong picture of door-to-door evangelism/witnessing.  I've done it many times, and had many come to my house as well over the years.  Not once have I heard what you say they do. 

Most knock on doors and when the person opens, will say:  "My name is '_______", and I am from "________" Church.  We are visiting the neighborhood today, sharing Jesus Christ with those who are interested and inviting them to Church Sunday morning.  Do you attend Church anywhere?"

The answer, of course, determines the direction that the evangelist/witness will go in the conversation.  If the person does not know the Lord, and is willing to listen, the person is told how Christ came to the world to save man from sin, how He died according to the Scripture, was buied, and rose again the third day according to the Scripture.  The Gospel was always given in every instance I have ever been involved in, whether the witness or the hearer.  

So, it is not just a thing of knocking on the door and when they answer, `1-2-3, repeat after me. 

There are people who do this though, also I head back to the microphone after  a short period of time.

you missed the point if my message if you think I was painting a picture door to door as a whole.. which I was not, because I personally do a lot of door to door evangelism.

I am just touching on something that I think is often neglected in evangelism today, and that's dealing with sin and giving a chance to repent. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki