• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance And How To Properly Share The Gospel

• Moderators

Either we have the preserved Word of God, or we don't. If we say there are "some errors" (for whatever reason) then that opens the entire Bible up to dispute. If "some errors" are found here or there, then the search will be on for more errors elsewhere. This is part of what has led to those "Christians" who believe the Bible is only partly accurate, taking it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't actually from God.

I don't recall the name of the group, but our pastor mentioned some "scholarly" group that gathers together to decide what verses in the Bible Jesus actually did or said. The way they decide? They vote on it!! A majority vote for or against a particular verse, saying, teaching or event in Scripture determines what is to be declared the actual Word of God.

Those who claim the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, our final authority, and yet accept all or most of the various translations and versions out there are on that slippery slope. If and when any of them reach the point where they must sit down with a dozen different versions saying a dozen different things and they have to decide which is right they will be faced with having to accept that only one of the Bible versions can be right, meaning the others are in error, or they are all in error and thus a process needs to be undertaken to separate the error from the truth in each one.

It still amazes me that some preachers claim the Bible to be inspired, accurate and our final guide, all the while preaching from a half dozen different versions that are not in full agreement with one another. Why can they not see the prOBlem with this and the inconsistency of their position?

I think they call themselves the Jesus Seminar or some such-they decide what Jesus DID say, what He DIDN'T say, what He PrOBably did or didn't say, and they color code the passages accordingly.  "Yea, hath God said..." Not in very good company, I would suspect.

• Members

Its good to expose Catholic errors. I want to glean that and keep it. Its correct when Les says

Paul is my apostle. Does that mean everything else Les teaches is right? 

There are a multitude of "Nicolaitans" that only use the King James.

These "Nicolaitans" will never tell you how to "rightly divide" the Scriptures.

Only the Holy Spirit is the "perfect teacher".

"Eat the meat and spit out the bones", brother.

• Moderators

While Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles, he always first preached at the synagogues to the jews, the same gospel he preached to the Gentiles.

While Peter was the apostle to the Jews, he was the one who first opened the door of Heaven to the Gentiles, and gave them the same gospel he gave to the Jews.

Not seeing why we keep insisting that Gentile believers can only hear Paul, and Jews, Peter and the others.

• Members

Thank you Mike, it was indeed the "Jesus Seminar" that our pastor was referring to.

The whole premise of what they are doing is absurd. If they are under the impression that every translator and copiest since the originals got things wrong; or if they believe even the originals were embellished, what supernatural power do they think they have to be able to vote on the matter and declare their voted in determinations to be true?

Sounds more like the cocoa-puff seminar!

• Members

While Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles, he always first preached at the synagogues to the jews, the same gospel he preached to the Gentiles.

While Peter was the apostle to the Jews, he was the one who first opened the door of Heaven to the Gentiles, and gave them the same gospel he gave to the Jews.

Not seeing why we keep insisting that Gentile believers can only hear Paul, and Jews, Peter and the others.

Peter preached to his brethren, the Jews, that if they repented as a Nation, Messiah would return to set-up his Kingdom in Israel.

When in Rome, did Paul tell the Romans that if they repented that Messiah would return and set-up his Kingdom in Rome?

And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets,
that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out,
when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things,
which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Peter in Acts 3, vs. 17-21

see Romans 11:25-36
And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from JacOB:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. vs.26&27

Repentance of Israel has not happened yet, this is Tribulation fulfillment.

Edited by beameup

• Members

You are butchering Scripture. Paul and Peter preached the same Gospel to Gentiles and Jews alike.

God didn't have a plan "A" which would usher in His Kingdom on earth in Israel if the Jewish nation accepted Christ; and then a plan "B" to offer a different Gospel to the Gentiles if the Jews rejected Christ; nor did He have a plan "C" that if, even after offering the Gentiles their own Gospel, if all Israel would finally accept Christ, "B" would be ended and "A" implemented.

• Members

They want to pretend John 3: 3 didn't apply to a Jews. The Rabbi said it to a rabbi yet it only applies to Paul's teachings to gentiles. Its very sad to see how Les adds his comments to these verses and blinds his followers. I can post a link to that false teaching if you want me to. 

Les adds to Acts 3 by saying Peter was telling them Jesus would be back tomorrow. No where does it say that. They say the proof is because they sold their goods and gave it to the twelve. But the scripture doesn't give their motivation. That's how Les hooks them 90% scripture plus his 10% opinion. This is the best part, after teaching that doctrine Les says Acts can't be used for church doctrine. 

But lets say that false doctrine was correct. Jews repented and Jesus came back, then Mark 13:14 is a lie. The Roman soldiers would of never sacked the city. And the list goes on and on. 

Please be in prayer for the people Les has deceived.  

• Moderators

Peter preached to his brethren, the Jews, that if they repented as a Nation, Messiah would return to set-up his Kingdom in Israel.

When in Rome, did Paul tell the Romans that if they repented that Messiah would return and set-up his Kingdom in Rome?

And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets,
that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out,
when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things,
which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Peter in Acts 3, vs. 17-21

see Romans 11:25-36
And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from JacOB:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. vs.26&27

Repentance of Israel has not happened yet, this is Tribulation fulfillment.

Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disOBedient unto the heavenly vision:  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.  (Acts 26:19-21).

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 20:21)

And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?  But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. (Acts 15:7-11) 

We strive so hard to insist that the Jews had one gospel, and the Gentiles had another, yet Paul and peter both very clearly say that the Jews and gentiles were saved the same way-by repentance toward God and faith toward jesus Christ. They received the Holy Ghost the same way, no difference was put between them.  And of course, we know Pauls words, "For by grace are ye saved, through faith...", which just agrees with what Peter and Paul said above-it doesn't matter Jew or Gentile, all are saved the same way, receive the same Spirit, and there is put NO DIFFERENCE between them.

Thus, when Jesus told the apostles "Go ye therefore and teach all nations...teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commnded you", it wasn't just to the Jews in those nations, it was the NATIONS, to all the people of all the nations. 

Yes, clearly some things Jesus dealt with were specifically to the Jews of that time-context will show that. Come things can be for all. I suppose we aren't to pray for our enemies, or do good to them that do evil to us. Oddly, those very commands seem to go against standrad Jewish ideals, even with David praying for the destruction of his enemies-the very thought of seeking good for those who hate him would have been very foreign to David and those of the OT, yet Jesus taught it.

• Members

Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disOBedient unto the heavenly vision:  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.  (Acts 26:19-21).

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 20:21)

And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?  But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. (Acts 15:7-11) 

We strive so hard to insist that the Jews had one gospel, and the Gentiles had another, yet Paul and peter both very clearly say that the Jews and gentiles were saved the same way-by repentance toward God and faith toward jesus Christ. They received the Holy Ghost the same way, no difference was put between them.  And of course, we know Pauls words, "For by grace are ye saved, through faith...", which just agrees with what Peter and Paul said above-it doesn't matter Jew or Gentile, all are saved the same way, receive the same Spirit, and there is put NO DIFFERENCE between them.

Thus, when Jesus told the apostles "Go ye therefore and teach all nations...teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commnded you", it wasn't just to the Jews in those nations, it was the NATIONS, to all the people of all the nations. 

Yes, clearly some things Jesus dealt with were specifically to the Jews of that time-context will show that. Come things can be for all. I suppose we aren't to pray for our enemies, or do good to them that do evil to us. Oddly, those very commands seem to go against standrad Jewish ideals, even with David praying for the destruction of his enemies-the very thought of seeking good for those who hate him would have been very foreign to David and those of the OT, yet Jesus taught it.

Amen

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I guess its just me and having been so "sheltered" from all this sort of stuff from spending so much of my Christian life in remote Alaska. But I see people all over this board that OBviousley listen to and watch radio and TV preachers.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would feel the need to watch or listen to these men if they are members of a Bible believing Independent Baptist Church. Are they not getting all they need from their own church?

Why wade through all the different teachings of these men when we supposedly have the Spirit led truth in our local churches?

For my part, I never have and never will listen to or watch media preachers. I guess I really am a local church guy, but I don't make any apologies for it

Edited by Jim_Alaska

• Members

I guess its just me and having been so "sheltered" from all this sort of stuff from spending so much of my Christian life in remote Alaska. But I see people all over this board that OBviousley listen to and watch radio and TV preachers.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would feel the need to watch or listen to these men if they are members of a Bible believing Independent Baptist Church. Are they not getting all they need from their own church?

Why wade through all the different teachings of these men when we supposedly have the Spirit led truth in our local churches?

For my part, I never have and never will listen to or watch media preachers. I guess I really am a local church guy, but I don't make any apologies for it

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!  

I will admit though that I do enjoy listening to Dr. J. Vernon McGee, though he is not without error in many of his comments.  I can also hear many of Lester Roloff's sermons and have enjoyed them, but nothing is as good as my own Pastor and wonderful church family.  

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Administrators

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!  

I will admit though that I do enjoy listening to Dr. J. Vernon McGee, though he is not without error in many of his comments.  I can also hear many of Lester Roloff's sermons and have enjoyed them, but nothing is as good as my own Pastor and wonderful church family.  

2bLikeJesus

I am new here and don't want to make any enemies or be contentious. I just hope to be able to edify and build up other Christians, especially Independent Baptists. Please don't take what I say as an offence or think that I am "talking down" to you, I mean it only to try to point someone in the right direction.

In that context and not to be rude or inconsiderate, your post is one of the main reasons I said in my previous post that I will never listen to or watch media preachers. You admitted that J. Vernon McGee was not without error. My question would be; Why would you listen to a man that OBviously is in error in his preaching?

Another question rears its head in this context, I mentioned it in my previous post. "Why would anyone in a Bible believing Independent Baptist Church feel the need to listen to anyone outside of that local church?" This question is especially important in the context of admitted error in that preaching.

J. Vernon McGee was a Presbyterian first and Interdenominational last. As an Independent Baptist ( I am assuming that you are) do you not know that to be Interdenominational you have to agree with many differing doctrines? This is why so many that listen to media preachers get so far from Independent Baptist doctrine. This is the spirit of compromise. If I have the truth of God's word, what incentive is there to compromise it?

I suppose some would think that they can take what good there is and reject the error. But that is like thinking that a liitle poison in small doses won't hurt you. Remember that God's Word says: "Gal 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not OBey the truth?
 8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
 9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

You may have heard the old illustration that rat poison is 99% good grain and 1% poison, it's the 1% that effectively kills the rat.

The Apostle paul had some choice words for those that perverted God's word:  Acts 13:6 And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:
 7 Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
 8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
 9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
 10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

This is the kind of plain Scriptural action that should be practiced by God's people when they know that the truth has been compromised.

God bless you as you serve Him.