• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance And How To Properly Share The Gospel

• Members

Door-to-door here has proven a fruitless venture. Several years ago our Baptist church went to every door in town, giving or hanging on doorknOBs a small bag with Gospel tract, bookmark with Bible verse, and information about our Baptist church. Not a single positive response. There were, however, several calls to the mayor and police over the "intrusion".

Another church (a different year) sent out door knockers and they met with the same response. No positive response, but irritated callers contacting the police, mayor and city councilmen.

Baptists, Methodists, JWs, Mormons, it doesn't matter who it is that tries door-to-door in this town, the response is the same.

Personal contact is what works best in this particular town.

• Members

Last Church I attended in North Carolina, I found out about through their visitation/door knocking on Saturdays.  Pastor never said there were any complaints to the Law or City Council.  He and others assigned to the area, visited more than 160 places that Saturday.  Out of the 160?  I was the only one to visit the Church.  I later became a member there.

• Members

Door-to-door here has proven a fruitless venture. Several years ago our Baptist church went to every door in town, giving or hanging on doorknOBs a small bag with Gospel tract, bookmark with Bible verse, and information about our Baptist church. Not a single positive response. There were, however, several calls to the mayor and police over the "intrusion".

Another church (a different year) sent out door knockers and they met with the same response. No positive response, but irritated callers contacting the police, mayor and city councilmen.

Baptists, Methodists, JWs, Mormons, it doesn't matter who it is that tries door-to-door in this town, the response is the same.

Personal contact is what works best in this particular town.

Some people need to be confronted several times before they come to Christ.

I think the lack of results is a pitiful reason to stop doing door to door.

I think of Paul being stoned and then going straight back into the same city and preaching again. 

Shame on those who would give up door to door while we still have the liberty and freedom to do so.

• Members

The stopping wasn't due to lack of results, it was due to the fact virtually the whole town was in an uproar. You can't win folks to Christ by making them mad because you knocked on their door, interrupted whatever they were doing, and "bothered them" about "religion" at their own front door.

However, meet many of these same people on the sidewalk, at the park, or even in the store or post office, and strike up a conversation with them and you can get the Gospel in, and perhaps talk further, without them ever getting upset.

Paul mentioned becoming all things to win some (and he didn't mean he took on the ways of the world to fit in), and in this town it's not door knocking that opens doors, but casual conversation in public does, so that's the means we use in this town.

Not all towns are like that. There is another town just across the river which for whatever reason, is VERY open to door knocking. Most folks in that town act like they are thrilled somebody knocked on their door and wants to talk with them.

• Members

The stopping wasn't due to lack of results, it was due to the fact virtually the whole town was in an uproar. You can't win folks to Christ by making them mad because you knocked on their door, interrupted whatever they were doing, and "bothered them" about "religion" at their own front door.

However, meet many of these same people on the sidewalk, at the park, or even in the store or post office, and strike up a conversation with them and you can get the Gospel in, and perhaps talk further, without them ever getting upset.

Paul mentioned becoming all things to win some (and he didn't mean he took on the ways of the world to fit in), and in this town it's not door knocking that opens doors, but casual conversation in public does, so that's the means we use in this town.

Not all towns are like that. There is another town just across the river which for whatever reason, is VERY open to door knocking. Most folks in that town act like they are thrilled somebody knocked on their door and wants to talk with them.

The whole town was in an uproar? that reminds of something in the bible! 

While I do understand there is nothing in the bible that commands door knocking, with the way this country is headed I think we ought to take advantage of it..

I have a hard time accepting when people say "door knocking doesn't work here" I just really have a hard time accepting that. Listen I live in a tough town for door knocking, almost all of the people we talk to are religious catholics, and 95 percent of people don't talk to us, but I have seen people get saved, through door to door, but there have been times when I haven't been able to share the gospel with anyone through conversation, and there are times when I have been able to, but it's more like 95 percent of the time people won't talk. I am going for that 5 percent though, and If I have to have 1,000 doors slammed in my face just to find 5 or even 1, then it is worth it.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time I can see how people use the lack of results to excuse not taking advantage of it.

I mean Jeremiah didn't see results, but he kept on preaching the word of God...

Just because you don't see results and that there is a small number that actually talk to you does not mean "door knocking doesn't work in our community" 

Maybe this is just me being young and inexperienced, but sounds like a an excuse to me. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

We basically do letterboxing.

I have done doorknocking, but in our city - and it seems pretty universal - you might get one door in a 100 to actually open, and the overwhelming majority them will not talk - they will often take a tract (we have an introduction tract that we have made up), but even then many just say no and close the door.

If no-one answers we put it in the letterbox. If I have the opportunity I will talk to people in their yard.

But people here either won't open the door, or are not home.

We do what we can.

• Members

The same approach doesn't work well in every situation, with every person, in every place. We have to adjust our tactics to best reach the people. Why antagonize people who become instantly defensive and angry with folks knocking on their doors when we have the better option of meeting these people on the sidewalk, in the park, at the store, at a community event where they are open to being approach, open to conversation?

At the same time, such as the case with the town across the river where they are especially open to door knockers, why not take the door knocking to them?

I've witnessed in many different places, to a variety of people, and different methods and approaches are necessary. I used different tactics when witnessing in "the hood" than when talking to people at the county fair. Same Gospel, just a different approach to better reach the target audience. If one approach doesn't work well in a certain place or with certain people I'll try a different approach.

• Members
My truck always has a full 5 gallon can of gas, a DC air compressor for flats, jumper cables, fire extenguisher, well stocked first aid kit, and emergency survival kit in it. I actively seek the opportunity to be a blessing to a motorist in trouble. I have yet to find someone I am helping in time in need who will not hear an entire gospel witness.
Yes.... A friend and I would go out, equipped like this, all night every Sat. night, when we were young Bible College students. We worked midnights, so we had a hard time sleeping at night. To this day, I keep tge assistance package handy, and look for those in need. They are often ready to be harvested. Edited by prophet1

• 7 months later...